Author Topic: Sliders in my P250  (Read 5491 times)

TechGuy

• View Profile
Sliders in my P250
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:31:40 PM »
I added sliders to my Kymco P250 to replace the rollers that were there.  I bought the bike used in 2008 with 16k KM and it now has 28.5k KM.  I added the 23x18 21 g gram sliders.  Rider load was about 275 and it now tops out at a 60 MPH indicated with what I assume to be a rev limiter as is just stops accelerating and kind of "cuts out" a little tiny bit.

It sounds like it is revving much more than it was before.  Almost like a "fan whine" sound now that I don't think it made before.

Any suggestions how to get my 75 MPH indicated back?  I may need to go back factory rollers.

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Sliders in my P250
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »
It sounds like the new sliders are lighter than the stock rollers.  That's why you're revving higher and not getting all of your top end.  What was the weight of the stock rollers?  If you go too light the engine will have to spin faster to fully close the variator.  I heard a good analogy once about tying a two different weight objects to the end of a string and spinning them.  The lighter object will be easier to spin, but you will have to spin it faster for it to raise up perpendicular to the center axis.  I also doubt there is a rev limiter on a 250.  To my knowledge only the 50's have restrictions.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »
It sounds like the new sliders are lighter than the stock rollers.  That's why you're revving higher and not getting all of your top end.  What was the weight of the stock rollers? 

23x18 21g *is* stock...

One thing I do not understand, he said that before the scoot topped at 75 mph... my People 250S does 90 mph indicated on a flat surface.
It's too big difference.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »
I chatted with Matt at ScooterTrap and he asked it it possible I got them in backwards and I think I may.  The images on the website and in the packaging are different.  Both also reference the colored side of the slider and the ones I have are natural on one side and show brass on the the other (no colored ring or anything)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »
That could be, I didn't even think about that.  They go with the pointy side facing inwards and on top.  When they are all in there they fit right up against the center with the long flat side exposed on top and the short flat side up against the center.  Hope that makes sense.   

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:54:05 PM »
I just printed your comments so I can have them next to me when I tear back into it.  I am glad I made my $5 Variator tool to make it easy to spin off and torque up tight the sheave.  I am going to the Kings and Lakers game tonight... I don't think the fix will happen tonight.  But... it still runs and I rode it to work today.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
Hopefully, I described it right then! :D  Mine are in my scoot, so that was off the top of my head! ;)  I just had it apart Sunday, so it is still fresh in my mind.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »
Happy Boy! :D
OK... sometimes you do things with the best of intentions and it all goes sideways. I found that I put the sliders in the variator the wrong way. Funny... they sort of worked...

For future reference, if you get the sliders in wrong, the scoot will not reach its maximum speed. When you get to the upper speed range, the belt will rub against the housing and your speed will be limited. I am guessing on this last one as the belt shows wear on the outside of the belt and I never noticed any before... I just looked at the one photo I have that shows the before, and there was no rubbing before. The Variator on my Kymco is very close to the case, so the belt doesn't have any extra place to go.

When I changed the position of the sliders today, they showed wear and had some minor damage to a face of the slider that is normally not in contact with the ramps.

That being said and with the sliders in the correct position, the performance was excellent. It accelerated to a 60 MPH indicated very quickly and will continue up to 75 MPH with a small amount of patience. Granted, my testing is based on my short ride on the rural roads near my house and most were done going up a slight incline. Overall the performance was very smooth with minimal slow spots. My old rollers were shot and showed wear on all sides, but were not worn to center or anything like that.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:10:52 PM »
Happy Boy! :D
OK... sometimes you do things with the best of intentions and it all goes sideways. I found that I put the sliders in the variator the wrong way. Funny... they sort of worked...

For future reference, if you get the sliders in wrong, the scoot will not reach its maximum speed. When you get to the upper speed range, the belt will rub against the housing and your speed will be limited. I am guessing on this last one as the belt shows wear on the outside of the belt and I never noticed any before... I just looked at the one photo I have that shows the before, and there was no rubbing before. The Variator on my Kymco is very close to the case, so the belt doesn't have any extra place to go.

When I changed the position of the sliders today, they showed wear and had some minor damage to a face of the slider that is normally not in contact with the ramps.

That being said and with the sliders in the correct position, the performance was excellent. It accelerated to a 60 MPH indicated very quickly and will continue up to 75 MPH with a small amount of patience. Granted, my testing is based on my short ride on the rural roads near my house and most were done going up a slight incline. Overall the performance was very smooth with minimal slow spots. My old rollers were shot and showed wear on all sides, but were not worn to center or anything like that.

How many miles/kms did you do with your scoot?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:16:44 PM »
Cool!  Glad you got it sorted out!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 05:08:38 AM »
I ride about 500 miles per month, on average- almost year round.

I am planning a 700 miles round trip ride from Sacramento to  San Luis Obispo this weekend.

Ride of March rally  www.ridesofmarch.com

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Update!

I took the scoot out onto the freeway today to see how the sliders (and the re-installation of my factory windscreen).  I used to get up to 60-65 in an OK rate and it would creep up to 75 indicated, 80 with a good downhill.  

Today, it powered right up to 70 and I saw the needle past 80 indicated.  I didn't lean forward to get a better angle on the 80+ reading.  Between the sliders and the windscreen, I could easily keep up with 90+% of the traffic on a CA morning commute.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:12 PM »
Very nice!  I love those sliders!  Apparently, they work much better when installed correctly! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 04:41:35 AM »
Ca... Jealous!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:02 AM »
Given this discussion about sliders, would it make sense to go up in weight just a bit if one has the 300cc upgrade kit installed? Any suggestions on what would be a good weight slider to use?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()