Author Topic: Agility 125 R16 exhaust  (Read 9322 times)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Agility 125 R16 exhaust
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:54:19 AM »
Hi to everybody, nice to see a forum dedicated to Kymco bikes & scooters!

I have a A125 R16, bought it second hand last year. It has only 3600km, and the muffler is gone. Looks like a chamber inside has a hole. The sound is just terrible...called the Kymco importer for the country I live in to ask how much for a new muffler, and luckily I was sitting down, because the price here is about 625euro (865 USD) !!!

The only aftermarket (legal) exhaust I found here are LeoVince 4Road LINK!, and MIVV LINK!, but they are around 250euro (350USD).
Is there a cheaper alternative?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:20:27 AM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Agility 125 R16 exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »
You can probably find an exhaust manufacturer localy.. there's a few of them even where I live,
but you'll never know what kind of quality product you're getting. As far as 'brand name' manufacturers
go, in EU at least, I think you've found the 2 cheapest ones.

I'd go with the leovince though, as I've seen a lot of mivv horror stories.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
...i'm currently looking into a technigas muffler....dunno how readily available they are for you tho...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
...i'm currently looking into a technigas muffler....dunno how readily available they are for you tho...

Thanks, I'll take a look.
I was a bit "optimistic" about the prices I stated in my first post  ::)...looks like they cost even more... :-\
Has anyone tried opening up the stock muffler?
A scooter mechanic that I know proposed cutting it lengthwise under the heat shield and maybe patching up whatever chamber wall that has burned through.
The only picture of the muffler I have is from the exhaust emission control system diagram from the service manual.
Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:12:23 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:53:17 AM »
this is the pipe I would suggest. Leo has  a "catchy" name, and they do make a good pipe but I have seen technigas pipes since I was a kid riding moto-x. I have NEVER seen one thrown out due to failure. I also have a friend that races those $20'000.00 go carts, and he is sponsored by TG. There are a few people here that will assist w/ shipping if you want to order from another source. http://www.tecnigas.com/o/inici.php?idioma=en   Even if you want the Leo...It seems CRAZY how much is surcharged for some countries. Maybe I'll open a world wide Bootleg shop just to fill the gap. What do you say Jeeves><Partners?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

marioG

• View Profile
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 07:24:06 AM »
Very cool.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 01:55:30 AM »
I bought a really nice polished alloy job that sounds very sweet for $80 AUS from Tiawan! Might be worth a try. Had to modify the engine pipe a little, but well worth it.
Holty

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 06:23:23 AM »
Thanks for all your replies!
@zombie
I really don't know why Tehnigas exhausts are not sold here (I live in Croatia), but I did see that they have official importers in a few neighboring countries.
Before logging into this forum I never even heard of Tehnigas, but then again, this is my first scoot, and I didn't pay attention to these things before.

Now back to the problem.
Luckily I wasn't to eager to get my exhaust chopped open, because the sound is almost normal again  ???
One very important thing I didn't mention when I started this thread is that the day before the sound started to change I had my tires changed.
The stock Cheng Shin should be called Cheng Sh*t, they are just terrible, and after a few dangerous situations in the rain I decided to get a decent set of tires.

To change the rear tire the muffler has to be taken off, and maybe when the muffler was put back on the exhaust gasket (or muffler packing collar as described in the service manual) it didn't fit the way it should.
The service manual says that a new gasket should be put on every time the exhaust is taken off, but I didn't have a new one, so the old one was reused.
Now after about 150 km since the beginning of the problem, and a few longer trips out of the city at full speed, the sound is almost back to normal.

The service manual states that the cause of exhaust noise could also be:

- Faulty air injection cut-off valve
- Broken vacuum tube
- Faulty reed valve

I'll get these checked by a scooter mechanic to see the above mentioned parts are ok.

Agility City 125

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »
Carbon will tend to fill the small void left from a bad/torn gasket SOMETIMES. I re-use some gaskets, but I do not try to over torque the fittings to compensate for their re-use. sometimes they work, and sometimes oh well. Which tire did you use to replace the stock ones? And there are a few things I don't understand from your post! The first 2 symptoms you state are mainly 4 stroke issues, and the reed valve is a 2 stroke issue. Hey by the way "Crow-atia" sounds like a rock, and roll country. Sucks they don't have the parts to keep it rollin-rollin rollin WHAAAAA! Does it help to have third party shipping? I wouldn't mind setting up a bonded consortium to assist!

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:24:17 AM »
Carbon will tend to fill the small void left from a bad/torn gasket SOMETIMES. I re-use some gaskets, but I do not try to over torque the fittings to compensate for their re-use. sometimes they work, and sometimes oh well.

I have some tools at home, including a torque wrench, so I checked when I came home (torqued it to values in the service manual). The A125 uses a ring type gasket. Can this kind of gasket be used? clicky!. Is it better or worse then the ring type one?

Which tire did you use to replace the stock ones?
For the right size tires for the A125 City I had to wait, because it's not a common size tire here, and I wanted new tires immediately, so the tire shop owner offered me a Michelin Pilot Sport in front, and a Michelin Gold Standard in the rear. The rear is now a 140/70-16.
I didn't like the idea of going two sizes up in the rear, but the owner said that I shouldn't feel any big changes.
The ride now is much nicer and softer, top speed seems to be the same, driving on wet roads is not as dramatic as it was before, and braking is noticeably better.
I'm not sure if the fuel consumption has gone up, haven't been monitoring it closely enough .  

And there are a few things I don't understand from your post! The first 2 symptoms you state are mainly 4 stroke issues, and the reed valve is a 2 stroke issue.

As I said before- this is my first scoot.
The symptoms I stated are copied from the service manual.
I know how to do simple maintainance, but I need someone who knows what he's doing to take a look.  ;)    

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:27:21 AM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
Carbon will tend to fill the small void left from a bad/torn gasket SOMETIMES. I re-use some gaskets, but I do not try to over torque the fittings to compensate for their re-use. sometimes they work, and sometimes oh well. Which tire did you use to replace the stock ones? And there are a few things I don't understand from your post! The first 2 symptoms you state are mainly 4 stroke issues, and the reed valve is a 2 stroke issue. Hey by the way "Crow-atia" sounds like a rock, and roll country. Sucks they don't have the parts to keep it rollin-rollin rollin WHAAAAA! Does it help to have third party shipping? I wouldn't mind setting up a bonded consortium to assist!

..there is a reed valve in the emissions control circuit...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
Those gaskets are just fine. It is the same type as about 90% of all exhausts use. I was real happy yo see you could fit the Mich. 140/70-16. Several older posts were asking about those tires fitting the Ag., and you supplied the answer for them. I think the easiest way to be sure where the leak is would be to center stand the scoot, and have someone else rev it a little so you can listen to the source.

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
jeeves, can you take a picture of rear end now....

I would like to see how it looks, im gona change tires too.....still on china rubber-plastic....

Have trouble with them and fall of bike on sljeme downhill....

Got too fast on corner-starting to rain-get on leaves-end of road with gravel--end of road for me.....went about 55kmh...

what about front tire 110/70?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()