Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 3673 times)

natemeade

• View Profile
Speedometer
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:26:14 PM »
Does anyone use a self installed speedometer, since the stock speedometer is very inaccurate?  If so which one do you recommend?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
...i'd recommend a gps for accuracy...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
yeah strap a sat nav on it and recalibrate with little stickers.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »
I've seen people use bicycle computers.  The Sigma Sport ones are supposed to be the most accurate.  You just glue a magnet to the front wheel and zip-tie the sensor to the fork leg and run a small wire up to the handlebar.  I've seen some people make a small bracket the fits on the two screws that hold the brake reservoir cap on.

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »
You can just recalibrate your speedo to read the correct amount with a sat nav and place some little stickers over the speedo dial to indiicate the correct speed, you only need to do it once.

Gravzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
Have a look at these a friend Managed to get one going on his should not see why no one else would not be able to do same
http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers-series-3700.php

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 05:11:55 AM »
I posted before that the fact speedo can be calibrated w/ a de-gauzer.  It is a steel cup that is driven w/ magnets. (the speedo) Where ever you live (in the world) You can take the Cluster to a Certified Speedo shop (delco ect.) and have it calibrated to 55mph on the money. http://www.speedotest.com/ I think that is one of 8 million places that will set you up!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 01:26:40 AM »
Its much quicker and a lot easier to do it yourself with a sat nav... ;)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 01:59:13 AM »
Very true!  It shouldn't be off by that much to begin with.  The next best/cheapest alternative is a bicycle computer, IMO.

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
Why would you want to completely replace the speedo with a bicycle one insted of just recalibrating it once with a sat nav?  ??? Then its done forever.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »
I wouldn't replace it, just use as an axillary speedo.  You leave the dash assembly alone.  Just mount up a bicycle speedo mounted to the top of the brake reservoir.  They are only about the size of a watch.

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 12:53:41 AM »
But why buy another speedo when the one you already have can be set to be accurate by putting a sat nav on your bike for ten minutes, seeing how much your speedo is out compared to the sat nav speed and when you stop putting a little bit of tape or a marker at the real speeds.

so if your doing 30 on the sat nav and your speedo shows 33 just put a 30 sticker at 33 the same with 40 and so on.

Its not rocket science, you cant get more accurate than satelite tracking.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:16:16 AM by joeboy »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 02:43:27 AM »
I understand what you are saying.  What I'm saying is I personally don't have a GPS.  For much less than the price of one you can install an accurately calibrated, cleanly installed, bicycle computer, without tape stuck to your speedometer!  That's all!  Just offering another alternative!

Here's someone else's install, I think it's neat, clean, and overall a cool idea!

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 02:46:44 AM »
You dont need tape you can use a marker pen or tippex...you can borrow a sat nav for ten minutes from someone. You dont need to buy anything or make brackets or run cables or anything.

Using too speedos is like a man with 2 watches he never knows the real time. Just calibrate your own speedo.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:52:49 AM by joeboy »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »
To each their own, just offering another option I thought was pretty cool! 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()