Author Topic: Tires, Jet, Laminar Lip.  (Read 3989 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Tires, Jet, Laminar Lip.
« on: March 24, 2010, 05:05:51 PM »
Just bought a 2007 xciting 500. What are the best or longest lasting touring tires out there for this scoot? What main jet size is best for touring and gas mileage. What is part number for a Laminar Lip? Also has anyone found out if K&N makes a filter for the 500? Thanks ahead of time. ;)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Tires, Jet, Laminar Lip.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
Hey, Sissy Mary.  I just bought an '07 myself a couple months ago.  I don't think K&N makes a filter for it.  They do make an oil filter for it, though.  Don't know about your other questions. 

If I were going to tour with mine, I really would consider taking a small gas can with me somehow, cause it sure drinks it.   

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:22:16 AM »
Hi Sissy Mary,
Congrats on the new scoot. I ride an '07, purchased new and now has over 28k miles. Yes, I have toured on her a lot.

I think she's some kind of hybrid because in the city she handles like a scooter and on the road she handles like a motorcycle.

For tires, I now like Michelin Gold. They are longer lasting than others I have tried, hold well in the rain and so far, have given the best mileage.

Enjoy
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:07:50 AM »
Hi Sissy, There is a K&N filter for your scoot, just no one here has adapted one yet due to ( I Think ) re-jetting the carb. More air in needs more fuel to maintain the raito. W/ a name like Sissy I bet you will be the one that cracks the code for all the big dog riders. Please prove me right!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Yes more air in the carb means more gas in the carb also, but with a carb it's real strange. I had a 1994 MZ 500 single (Rotax engine). The stock carb was a bing 33 millimeter CV unit. This I think is to small for a big single, but hey' it's a German bike ok? I replaced the very restictive paper filter with a K&N style unit, and left the side cover off as it pulled air in from the side (no worry about water getting in), and was located under the seat. The stock air inlet was very small (all do to noise restrictions I guess). I went up 2 jet sizes and gained about 5 mpg! I then put on a 40 mm Delorto carb and a less restrictive muffler. From stock carb & such to 40 mm carb, filter & muffler my freeway mileage went from low 30's to always over 50 mpg with OMG twice the power. I had a harley dresser years ago, put on a K&N filter, replaced stock 38 mm carb with SU Eliminator carb (about 44 mm), (same carb found on old jag sports cars), and went from mid to high 30's in MPG to over 50 MPG. Sometimes I even broke 60!!!! My theory is that, when the air velocity get's to a certian volume (meaning to much air for the small opening-hole to really handle), going through the carb's ventury / venturi. The gas starts to get sucked straight up from/through the float bowl into the ventury? I think to pass noise regulations manufactures have placed (under sized carbs) on their bikes? When the engine size is matched with the correct size carb & matching-free breathing filter & exhaust, the engine is allowed to run free, and therefore much better gas MPG and power? I will bet the carbed xciting 500's are under jetted if you will. I will bet that if I go up 1 or 2 jet sizes, put in at least a foam filter if not a K&N style, and a better breathing exhaust, that I can do better (in the MPG game) than the fuel injected units? But what do I know? After all im just a SISSY? :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:20:18 PM »
I believe you to be right on the money! The same rule applies to all carbed engines. The K&N web site has a link to custom sized units, as well as their standard offerings. I have re-plumbed almost every engine I have owned mirroring your results. The xciting has plenty of snorkels, tubes, and adapters to set up a much better flowing intake system. Just needs someone to break the ice as it were. The venturi effect you described is exactly what is happening. The increased flow thru the carb is pulling fuel out at a faster rate than a larger carb would. 2 jets up does sound about right for a simple intake upgrade. with jets costing less than an oil change it makes no sense to keep the standard performance robbing set up. http://www.knfilters.com/   
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »
If you want to try some DIY, I made this Laminar Lip for my Xciting myself, works great!

http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8465&sid=391d81243ce71b1dc29284e052a60b30

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
Very, very cool.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
Yes it is !  Nice, Stephan.  I will just guess you've done this kind of work before. . .  ;)   

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
Thanks!

And - No, I have never done any work like this before.

Made a small test item first, not very hard to do at all.

Had to try different temperatures and "baking time" in the oven,
I think it was about 100 degrees celsius for a few minutes, then
hurry out to the scooter and press it against the original windscreen
before the acrylic glass hardened again. 

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
Stock jet size for the carb model is 118. Been thinking of changing up  2 sizes. Installed a leo vinće pipe and modified the air filter. But on the leo's manual it says that there is no need to resize the jets.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 01:56:36 AM »
Hey drifter! That is true for many after-market pipes. Some models are calibrated to run w/ the factory jetting. More of a plug, play deal. If you do the air filter tho you will need to up jet. a plug chop at wot will show if there is a real flow improvement from the mod on the air box.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »
What's a plug chop? Sorry for the ignorance.

Rode it today with the diy filter, acceleration was improved but past 100kph feels like it needs more gas. Should i adjust the air/fuel mixture or change the jet?

Had a grand vista before upgraded with polini block, yoshi pipe, malossi pulley etc... But it never liked changing the jet. Tried 4 jet sizes but it always preferred the stock size. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »
A plug chop is slang for checking the color of the spark plug after a short run (60 seconds or so) at a given rpm. a brand new plug is used for this. The color should be a coffee brown. Most intake work will need re-jetting. As you noticed it seems to "Run out of gas". That is because it is. That can also lead to excessive combustion temps. 1-2 sizes up is usually sufficient for the main jet. and the idle air mix screw will compensate for most minor air filter mods.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 02:59:03 PM »
Thanks a lot zombie! Engine stalls when i stop from WOT. Better check the plugs tom. (one thing i hate on the xciting, now where to find someone with a hand of a monkey.)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()