Author Topic: been a few weeks, but BOSS & UNI stage 2 filter installed!!!  (Read 2497 times)

Circus

• View Profile
been a few weeks, but BOSS & UNI stage 2 filter installed!!!
« on: March 27, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »
Hey guys, finally did the BOSS derestriction, and got a UNI stage 2 air filter to replace the box. Lucky me I guessed the mixture and just did a plug chop after a day of riding and it looks great!!!! I love the new performance, however, I've lost a lot of power off the "line" the speedo winds between 80km and the odometer full throttle, but it takes a lil goin to get there. Im considering a pipe as well, but is there anything else i can do to get my torque back?

also, how often are you guys changing oil? Im doing one today, but so I can keep up on it.

Thanks guys!!

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: been a few weeks, but BOSS & UNI stage 2 filter installed!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »
Congrats!  Changing the rollers out for lighter ones somewhere around 5g will give you better acceleration.  Changing the 3 clutch fly springs for stiffer ones, probably 1500, will give you that quick take-off from the line.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:20:24 AM »
You lost the power w/ the filter because you are running too lean now. raise the needle for midrange, and/or re-jet up 1-2 sizes.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:20:41 AM »
I totally missed that one!  I for some reason thought he did that.  My bad!  Well, what I said previously will help too, but definitely get the carb sorted first!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
You lost the power w/ the filter because you are running too lean now. raise the needle for midrange, and/or re-jet up 1-2 sizes.

..if his carb is like mine, there are no means for needle adjustments...

..nylon retaining clip must be modified, and a washer put beneath the needle's head to raise it any at all...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Circus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
Well sad news yesterday, the scoot died on me while i was riding. just bogged down and died. wont start back up. the starter just whines, it doesnt even seem to try to turn the motor over. i can hear the piston moving when i kick start it, so i know its not froze. ive been told twice to change the plug because on 4 strokes if you run too lean even for 1 ride its death to the plug. anyone have any advice?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
..i guess it would have to be extremely lean to burn the plug up...so quickly...personally, i've never heard that statement...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
The starter giving out is most likely just a coincidence. Do you have a compression gauge? Look for at least 100 psi. If not you may have to pull the head looking for a burnt exhaust valve or piston. Have you pulled the spark plug? if so can you post a pict, or describe it?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Circus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 03:08:31 AM »
the metal hangover, spark receiver i guess youd call it(the part you gap away) is lookin a lil galvanized color like light battery corrosion, but not super rough textured. the white around the spark sender(the lil nub on the porcelain) is white with tan and some brown spots. i did have it leaned all the way out because the motor sounded a lot better when tuned that way.

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 03:14:48 AM »
You really need the firing end to be from light tan to biscuit brown...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:21:02 AM by joeboy »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 03:36:54 AM »
You burned something! Either a valve or piston. I think! The good thing about it is the parts are cheap. The best part is you will know how not to repeat the problem, a few pistons will turn you into an expert, and it sucks but you will help others w/ what happened. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:GWxVkWUBzb4J:www.paradrenalin.com/Spark%2520Plug%2520Color%2520Chart.pdf+spark+plug+color+chart&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESij0N5FFPocWiwf4VDFupy6mWSfW6Y9XR0I_Ymp64WOx9D72jUqD0kdOAEnh0fH7FRyozRn6oa_BFhYYouLdpfkta1EnqOVruCfhs02ooOG3qCxPLQkfktjuf4Q_pCJn7iBOWun&sig=AHIEtbQIrrHzVlFaomFOfOEef_UncivxVg

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »
...what's the most important keywords that we use when tuning a carburetor???

..DON'T RUN LEAN!!!!...

:-\

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
..DON'T RUN LEAN!!!!...

Kimcofan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 02:11:38 AM »
Dont run LEAN

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 05:50:54 PM »
Lean run Dont... ???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()