Author Topic: Why do the People S 200 have a kick start?  (Read 5164 times)

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
Why do the People S 200 have a kick start?
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:29:24 AM »
 8)  Have tried to kick start the scooter just for giggles, and found it impossible for me to do. 
 Are all kickers stiff or am I just a wimp?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Why do the People S 200 have a kick start?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:31:02 AM »
Having never personally kickstarted a People S 200 I'm not sure, I'm going with wimp though!  Just kidding!  I kickstart my ZX50 multiple times daily and it's easy.  I'm not sure if the larger engine is just harder to turn over, or you have something jammed up?  Does the lever move when you kick it, or can you just not get enough umph behind it?

Domo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
When I had my battery issues last summer, I kicked started it many times. It was very difficult to depress. I needed all of my 200+ pounds to do it.  Even with that I would nearly exhaust myself with the repetitions needed to get it started. The first time I needed to do it I was stranded at work. A passerby who said he was an experienced motorcycle rider helped me out and had a difficult time as well and commented on how difficult it was.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
It may be a combo of 2 things. The ratio on the 1/2 moon kick gear, and the auto choke not coming in when the scoot is warm. I found my 50 ALWAYS needs the manual choke ON to get a 1 kick start. As for the ratio of the starter gears there is really nothing you can do to change that.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »
Kick starting Kymcos is very hard, but I like that because it gives a "solid build" feel to it.
Kick starting Italian scoots for example is much easier but it feels like you will break something.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

rgy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »
Zombie, you have manual choke on a zx 50???  how, where, not factory correct?  i use duct tape to cover the intake area

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »
They took the kick start off several Vespas as they found they would not start them if the battery was too far gone -and- the if you used the kick start lever in the wrong way/nangle/place, it would crack the CVT housing face around the the starter shaft. Many have found the new cover and replaced their old one or have taken the lever off and covert eh remaining hole as it was useless 90% of time and break the cover the balance (%s are SWAGs)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »
8)  Have tried to kick start the scooter just for giggles, and found it impossible for me to do. 

..kick-start mechanisms should be kept lightly, but well lubricated for them to function smoothly...

..don't lube excessively, because you don't want it to transfer to the cvt...

..i removed my electric starter a long time ago, when it just would no longer work, and my dealer said KYMCO denied it as warranty becaue i had not been taking the scoot to a factory rep for service...

..i can, with a good glove on, start my A50 by hand with the kick-start...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:31:27 AM »

Have tried my P150 a few times also without success.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 01:50:39 AM »
For rgy: I have a Delorto carb. That was the first part I ordered!  For wvlady I forgot to post it is easier to listen/feel for the compression stroke on a 4t engine. You push the kick lever untill you feel the resistance of the valves closed, and then give it a firm kick. The idea is you are lining up for the spark to hit on the first bit of the kick, and not spinning the engine on a dead stroke. Same applies for all 4t engines.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »
...well put zombie!!

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »

I could have kickstarted my Peugeot 50cc scooter with my thumb  ;D but the kick-starter
on my A125 takes a bit of effort and it's rather hard to get it going using the kick-starter.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
I could have kickstarted my Peugeot 50cc scooter with my thumb  ;D but the kick-starter
on my A125 takes a bit of effort and it's rather hard to get it going using the kick-starter.

..you might want to try adjusting your idle mix a bit...

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »
..you might want to try adjusting your idle mix a bit...

Why?

It literally explodes into life in milliseconds when I thumb the electric starter..
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
Why?

It literally explodes into life in milliseconds when I thumb the electric starter..

..then don't worry about it...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()