Author Topic: NEW SCOOTER AND NEW RIDER  (Read 3942 times)

OLDRIDER

• View Profile
NEW SCOOTER AND NEW RIDER
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:16:49 PM »
Hi I am new to this Form and a new 500 Kymco scooter owner and rider. It has been 50 years since I last rode a scooter or motoer cycle. I have my endorsement and I ride every day. Kymco was the only scooter that I found to have no negative comments about in the internet. I have had my scooter for 3 months. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: NEW SCOOTER AND NEW RIDER
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
..Welcome to the forum Oldrider!!

..lot of good stuff goin' on in here..

..i bought my 08 agility 50 new, in december of 07..

..just racked up 44,000 km on th ol girl...

..you made a good choice in buying KYMCO..

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I thought my 20 year stretch of non-riding was kind of long.

Post some pictures, we'd like to take a look.
Rick

jrd4849

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
Sounds just like me. I went 36 years without riding. Funny when I took the motorcycle safety course most of the students were middle aged or old farts. And speaking of that course you should consider taking it as it gets rid of those old nasty habits that we learned when we were young and foolish.
Jim. 2009 Xciting500Ri

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 02:35:23 AM »
Welcome OLDRIDER .  I went 32 yrs without riding and have had an Xciting 500 for two months now.  I love it!  I'm 55. 

You're as young as you feel -- and riding again has made me feel MUCH younger.   ;D

The guys on this forum have already taught me a lot.  I read the postings in almost every catagory cause there are good and interesting things to learn in all of em. 

The prevailing wisdom here seems to be that Kymcos are great machines. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 02:39:47 AM »
Welcome aboard Oldrider!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:22:29 AM »
Welcome OLDRIDER .  I went 32 yrs without riding and have had an Xciting 500 for two months now.  I love it!  I'm 55.  

Wow... I'm 56, and went 20ish years before riding again, and I've had my X500 for just under 2 months. But then, I've also ridden a Piaggio Fly 150 for a month and a Scarabeo 250 for about for about 6 months before getting the X500.
Rick

OLDRIDER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments. I am 65 years old and haven't riden since 1958 and 1959. Back then I rode a SEARS moped and an old scooter/cycle that I dodn't even remember the name of. But the SEARS moped was $400 a lot for kid back then with a just a paper route. I love the 500 and will post pictures as requested. I have a general question though. Has anyone found a reliable way to attach a GPS to the 500. I have looked at a few sites but the method to attach doesn't appear to all that good. Thanks in advance

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
I don't know about the 500 but with the zx50 there are two holes in the plastic under the handlebars which I guess are for a screen. I intend to make a bracket for a gps and camera to attach there, maybe the 500 has a similar mount? Oh, and don't wait for requests, go ahead and post up some pics. All the best and happy scootin'
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »
Sorry, what I missed in my last post was that those holes give access to two mounting brackets.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
here's a link to a burgman mount. The retailer is mentioned in the post. Maybe they have something for yours.http://www.allsuperscooters.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=192
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jrd4849

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments. I am 65 years old and haven't riden since 1958 and 1959. Back then I rode a SEARS moped and an old scooter/cycle that I dodn't even remember the name of. But the SEARS moped was $400 a lot for kid back then with a just a paper route. I love the 500 and will post pictures as requested. I have a general question though. Has anyone found a reliable way to attach a GPS to the 500. I have looked at a few sites but the method to attach doesn't appear to all that good. Thanks in advance
An alternative to a hard mount is this Givi GPS Bag. Works for me.
Jim. 2009 Xciting500Ri

momontheloose

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »

Hi Oldrider! :)

This will be my second riding season on my xciting 250. I put 3,000 miles on last summer. Not bad for a 50 year old mom of 3 boys (4,8,16 years old).  I put on RAM mounts for my GPS and my IPOD Touch. They both screw into the screw slots of the brake reservoir. They are positioned perfectly and adjustable. I also have a VIP trunk on the back. I really like the VIP trunk because it has LED lights that move all the time and then are really bright when I brake. It's a great  place to lock up my helmet and stow my purse. I also purchased a gel seat pad and then bought a full size sheepskin rug that I sewed elastic on to hold on my seat. My butt is a little bony and on longer group rides and going to rallies I really like it a little cushier under my tush. I really like having my GPS mounted. It is a good check to see how fast you are going and how reliable the odometer and speedometer are. I found that my speedometer is right on up to 55 mph but then by the time I get to 65mph it is about 2-3 mph off. What surprised me was how far off the odometer was. 1/10th a mile for every 10 miles. You really aren't that old! Last summer a 70 year old buddy on a Silverwing rode by himself from Florida to northern Minnesota for the Iron Range Super Scooter Rally. We are as young as we feel. I personally feel about 35 when I'm riding. Have a blast on your xciting.

Momontheloose
Janice from Lino Lakes, MN

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:55:50 AM »
Welcome Oldrider - well I am 55 and ride everyday - love bikes and for us its a family thing!!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »
Hi Oldrider! :) I found that my speedometer is right on up to 55 mph but then by the time I get to 65mph it is about 2-3 mph off. What surprised me was how far off the odometer was. 1/10th a mile for every 10 miles.

In fact your speedo is far more off than your odo. Speedo has error 3-5 %, according to your numbers, while odo has only 1 %.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()