Author Topic: tendency to flood now that the weather has changed.  (Read 8294 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: tendency to flood now that the weather has changed.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 10:39:45 PM »
Thank Gawd aye! I'm American by birth, but Irish to the core. There were 2 Kings in the Mc family, but that's another forum. Sorry about the short tail tho. (Manx)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »
Progress has most definitely been made :)

3/4 of a turn richer on the pilot screw and its now idling smoothly. Only glitch its got left is it does still like to slow down and die if you blip the throttle from idle and dont roll off it smoothly but thats at least livable with given that its performing smoothly otherwise. I need to improve my technique to be smoother on the throttle anyway (rode it for long enough in its stock restricted state got into the bad habit of what we used to call an "italian throttle" - on or off)  Assuming it hasnt been saving up its misbehavior for tomorrow morning its coming to work with me as usual..  If I end up pushing it back from downtown Minneapolis tomorrow evening you'll hear about it here ;)

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 11:08:49 PM »
Thank Gawd aye! I'm American by birth, but Irish to the core. There were 2 Kings in the Mc family, but that's another forum. Sorry about the short tail tho. (Manx)

If you ever get the chance to travel to the "old country" and the possibility comes up for a visit to the Isle of Man, theres two really good reasons why you should NOT pass it up. One is that the Isle of Man is unique - its the only place in the world that was settled by both Norse and Celts and they didnt fight. They cooperated and eventually merged into a distinct population. There is no sense of humor like that of the manx, anywhere in the world. For example, they will tell you perfectly sincerely that there are no rats on the island. Not one. However, if you are all skeptical and wander down to the docks and point at the critter disappearing behind the packing crates and ask "No rats? Whats that then?" "Oh dont mind them, thats one of the longtailed folk. We share the island with them."

The second reason (which makes this comment forum-relevant... just) is to take the mountain tramway from Laxey up Snaefell.. On a clear day from the summit they say you can see 5 kingdoms (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Kingdom of Heaven) but the stop just before the summit is where you want to get off, so you can wander the Motorcycle Museum. Its as close to a shrine to "going insanely fast on two wheels" as you'll ever see, only a few yards back from the road which once per year gets lined with straw bales and old tires as it becomes part of the course for the TT races. Although the lineage of bikes and scooters has diverged a little over the years, here you'll find the common ancestors.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »
Scootcomute, You have just given me ANOTHER reason to believe there is more good in the world than bad! However I believe I came from the Fighting Irish... Line the course w/ rocks, and pave it w/ glass cause I'm gonna run it naked! I'll see you at the bottom, If you make it! Heavenly father, please give us the wisdom to avoid conflict w/ our enemies. If you can't see your way to do that ... at least break their ankles so we can recognize them by their limp!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 03:35:52 AM »
Scootcomute, You have just given me ANOTHER reason to believe there is more good in the world than bad! However I believe I came from the Fighting Irish... Line the course w/ rocks, and pave it w/ glass cause I'm gonna run it naked! I'll see you at the bottom, If you make it! Heavenly father, please give us the wisdom to avoid conflict w/ our enemies. If you can't see your way to do that ... at least break their ankles so we can recognize them by their limp!

"Pass me my lightsaber, its the one that says 'badass motherf***** on the hilt'"

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
If you ever get the chance to travel to the "old country" and the possibility comes up for a visit to the Isle of Man, theres two really good reasons why you should NOT pass it up. One is that the Isle of Man is unique - its the only place in the world that was settled by both Norse and Celts and they didnt fight.

Isle of Man also has one of the most dangerous natural race tracks in the world.

Another one is just few kilometers from the place where I live - Preluk. Now it is defunct and unfortunately not in use anymore.
It was considered to be too dangerous so moto racing was moved 30 kms away, to new Grobnik race track around 1979.

In case somebody is interested...

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/676/reluk.jpg

http://images.opatija.net/povijest/000071-001.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.liburnija.net/wp-content/uploads/preluk_moto.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.liburnija.net/video-moto-utrke-preluk/&usg=__0AS1fYvulfpZm90b4NdkJqRPYgw=&h=195&w=200&sz=8&hl=hr&start=2&itbs=1&tbnid=J8bXwS04AcDd_M:&tbnh=101&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpreluk%2Butrka%26hl%3Dhr%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

Preluk race track is now a part of regular road between cities of Rijeka and Opatija. I learned how to drive a car properly on that road. Between 1993 and 2000 I used to go there daily, usually in the night or late in the evening, and learn how to drive, understeer, oversteer, basically, how to control the car. The best granite asphalt you could find anywhere.

Unfortunately, the road is now partially in a very bad condition, and half of the track is covered with new pavement which is much WORSE than 60 year old one... so I do not go there anymore.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 07:43:46 PM »
What a beautiful place! Thanks Axy. Sooo much to do, and see. Sooo little time

sticlistul

• Sex, Scoot and Rock 'n' Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
And sooo few money :))

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »
I just touched the screen...AMEN BROTHER!

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »
Well, it got me to and from work again... :D

Interesting observation on the two trips... Morning run and evening run were about 20 degrees diff in air temp (Farenheit) The scoots still not quite right but its not right in two different ways on each trip.

Morning run, cooler and denser air, it idles high when the bystarter is engaged (almost enough to make it creep) and acts like its getting the perfect mix and rarin' to go.. suggesting that its still idling a little lean when warmed up, but at the end of the trip, fully warmed up it really didnt act that way.

Evening run, warmer and less dense so making the mix richer still.. No fast idle, even on first start with the bystarter engaged but its clearly warming up rich unlike the morning. Once its warmed up we're back to "normal"  behavior at idle. Nice stable low revs and running even.

Morning run it tended to bog when nailing the throttle from idle, evening run not a trace of it.

Mystic Meg says theres a jumbo box of clean plugs and a lot of chops in my future..  But you know... This is a midwest spring. Temperatures are changing fast enough that if its this sensitive I'm going to get it dialed in just right and a month later have it all to do again... maybe I just need to find a decent medium-level setting and just get peak performance for two months of the year.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 01:27:34 AM »
There are several AG/50 owners that have posted the same observations. Might be a slightly larger carb is needed for these scoots? It appears they run right on a razor edge w/ carb. tuning. Chops at wot are the most important in my book. The rest of the rpm range can be done thru adjustments vs parts.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 01:52:01 AM »
There are several AG/50 owners that have posted the same observations. Might be a slightly larger carb is needed for these scoots? It appears they run right on a razor edge w/ carb. tuning. Chops at wot are the most important in my book. The rest of the rpm range can be done thru adjustments vs parts.

yep. although until I cut the cdi and get rid of the rev limit theres a question over whether WOT is really WOT. :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:13 AM »
Oh yeah! No doubt!

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 02:39:17 AM »
Tell ya Zombie, I think you're right about the carb being a tad undersized. All it would take is a two or four mm increase in the carb size to reduce the sensitivity.. extra volume, less tweaky. Hmm.... DAMN IT.. you're going to get me into putting a keihin on this and I dont want that level of hassle...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 04:05:19 AM »
It may get a little involved, what w/ changing the throttle cable also. That part I don't know. I do see a new filter/jets along w/ that. Then maybe cvt time? Or as Jprestonion would suggest "Leave well enough alone". I like option 1, but that's just me. I have seen the 125cc go cart racing set-up's using a wing mounted on the intake side of the carb. that directs the flow down across the jets. The idea is a more uniform flow to reduce any pulsing in the fuel charge. Something could be rigged up easily to find out! It is only 1.5-2 degrees facing down at the jets. Maybe another Million $ idea for free!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()