Author Topic: tendency to flood now that the weather has changed.  (Read 8287 times)

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
tendency to flood now that the weather has changed.
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »
All of a sudden my agility 50 has started giving problems starting - it fires usually on the first try, catches, then just fades away and dies, smelling like its flooded itself and at that point I may as well start walking for the bus stop. Pulled the carb and did all the usual stuff cleaning it out and looking for problems, nothing of note. First time after putting it back in, no problems - fired up and ran just fine. Once it had sat in my garage overnight, back to the same issue. Its been running fine day after day until this, only diff is its suddenly got a lot warmer overnight (midwest) so whatever it is, seems like it could be temperature related... (or I got some bad gas last fill)

I'm sure its something real simple I'm overlooking. Any thoughts?

Dark13

• View Profile
Re: tendency to flood now that the weather has changed.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:28:50 AM »
check your valves make sure they are set to .04mm i will bet my 2 front teeth its your problem
proud owner of a 2009 kymco agility 50

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
All of a sudden my agility 50 has started giving problems starting - it fires usually on the first try, catches, then just fades away and dies, smelling like its flooded itself and at that point I may as well start walking for the bus stop. Pulled the carb and did all the usual stuff cleaning it out and looking for problems, nothing of note. First time after putting it back in, no problems - fired up and ran just fine. Once it had sat in my garage overnight, back to the same issue. Its been running fine day after day until this, only diff is its suddenly got a lot warmer overnight (midwest) so whatever it is, seems like it could be temperature related... (or I got some bad gas last fill)

I'm sure its something real simple I'm overlooking. Any thoughts?

..okay, lets start off with a lil more info...what year is your scoot..4-stroke? (there are some A50 2-strokes)..how many miles...any modifications such as derestriction, etc...

..i've experienced similar symptoms before...

peace

..oh, and Welcome to th' Forum!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
..okay, lets start off with a lil more info...what year is your scoot..4-stroke? (there are some A50 2-strokes)..how many miles...any modifications such as derestriction, etc...

..i've experienced similar symptoms before...

peace

..oh, and Welcome to th' Forum!!!

bought new in 08 and now has only a couple thousand on the clock, 4stroke, stock apart from putting in the derestricted variator boss and 82 main jet they were kind enough to supply from the factory. No cdi cut yet but thats on my list :) The existing changes are good for an indicated 40mph, which is enough to keep up with traffic and potentially catch a ticket in some places on my daily commute. (The low mileage is because it was originally going to be my wifes ride, but even the little A50 turned out to be a little large for her, she dropped it early on and in the process messed up her knee for 6 months so it sat in the garage until spring last year when I grabbed it and left her the car.)

Thanks for the welcome - been lurking here reading for months, finally had to sign up if only to see the pics of your little beastie :D

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »
check your valves make sure they are set to .04mm i will bet my 2 front teeth its your problem

Damn, you're probably right.. I think I forgot to check them last time I gave the beastie a check over. Guess I'm pulling the valve cover today, if I can find my feelers in the mess that is my garage... Sorry, but I'm not taking the bet though, I lost enough teeth playing rugby in my misspent youth that I'm not going to hazard any of the remaining ones :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »
Hey scooterc, Put in a NEW spark plug too. Cheap insurance. The fuel tank may also have some debris from sitting so I would add a new in line filter, and change that out after a few (3-4) tankfulls.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
..i agree with zombie, dude...start with new fuel and a new plug and get prepared to take the carburetor apart for a thorough cleaning....

;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
..wait..did this just start?..have you been riding it?

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:30:51 PM »
well it wasnt sitting with fuel in it - the couple months I didnt ride it over this last winter it got drained first.. So no "old fuel" issues, I've been commuting on it this year for just under a month without issues and its on its third tankful. Valves were indeed a teensy bit off, fixed that without benefit, and as for carb cleaning, I pulled it apart and did that when started doing this earlier in the week. Plug is new, and it gives a nice meaty spark if I crank the bike with it held against the block. Fuel is getting to the carb just fine so I guess its time to pull it apart again and look to see if I missed anything the first time. Damn this sucks, its a lovely day to ride too...  :(

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:32:20 PM »
..wait..did this just start?..have you been riding it?

yep. no hassle for weeks and then overnight as soon we got the sudden warmup, it started misbehaving.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
..have you looked at your air filter?..and the induction tube into the airbox...make sure nothing's made itself a home up in there...lol..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:36:14 PM by wordslinger »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
well it wasnt sitting with fuel in it - the couple months I didnt ride it over this last winter it got drained first.. So no "old fuel" issues, I've been commuting on it this year for just under a month without issues and its on its third tankful. Valves were indeed a teensy bit off, fixed that without benefit, and as for carb cleaning, I pulled it apart and did that when started doing this earlier in the week. Plug is new, and it gives a nice meaty spark if I crank the bike with it held against the block. Fuel is getting to the carb just fine so I guess its time to pull it apart again and look to see if I missed anything the first time. Damn this sucks, its a lovely day to ride too...  :(

..what did you set your valve clearance to?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
...have you used any gas from a can?

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
..have you looked at your air filter?..and the induction tube into the airbox...make sure nothing's made itself a home up in there...lol..

yep and it didnt look bad.. I can feel it pulling in air if I cup my hand over the airbox inlet and crank it. I DID however find something up with the induction tube - no unwanted guests, but somehow I hadnt noticed that the factory had ziptied the tube to the frame tightly enough to restrict it a fair bit. After giving the obligatory facepalm to the idiot that assembled it that way and another to myself for not spotting that in a year of riding and maintaining it I fixed that with a more suitably sized ziptie yesterday.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »
First fill of this year the gas was in a plastic can for long enough for me to drive from the gas station home, took it out empty, brought it home full and emptied it into the bike. Since then its been refilled twice direct from the pump. valve clearance is 0.04mm on both, per the book and umpteen million postings on here.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()