Author Topic: Problem or Not?  (Read 4731 times)

Calothrix

• View Profile
Problem or Not?
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:14:23 PM »
My 2005 People 150 has about 9000 Km on it.  I bought it used about two years ago and I believe all parts are original.  Something has become a little more noticeable to me recently.  When I am at a stop and I twist the throttle to get going, there is often a "shudder" initially from the transmission and then once I get going, all is well.  As long as I am going, say 5 mph or faster, and hit the throttle, no problem.  I only notice the "shudder" when I am going real slow and start accelerating, or when accelerating from a stop.  Is this common for a scoot or do I have something to be concerned about?  Thanks!

PS - Had a PR the other day.  Got the girl up to 73 mph on the speedo (downhill and with a tailwind of course)!  In actuality I was probably going closer to 65 mph, but still, I was surprised how well she handled for a relatively small, lightweight scoot.  I would have guessed I would have been white-knuckled, but she ran smooth as silk and didn't sound like she was going to blow!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Problem or Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
The shudder could be either the rollers are worn (flat spots), the clutch springs are getting weak or maybe 1 is broken, or it is time to replace the gear oil. The oil is the easiest to check/change first. The other 2 require you to take apart the multivar, and the clutch. 9000km is not alot but sometimes things just wear faster due to manuf. processes. Maybe just order all the cvt parts, and replace them all together. It wont cost more than $30-40. bucks to get it all straight.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:17:32 AM »
I just changed the gear oil a couple of weeks ago, so that is not the problem.  All this talk about mods on this site has me thinking about replacing the rollers with a non-stock option (baby steps first!).  I believe the stock rollers are 18x14x14.5 grams (someone correct me if this is wrong).  I would like just a little more off the line acceleration and I hope to not lose any mid-range acceleration or top end speed.  I am considering replacing the stock rollers with Dr. Pulley Sliders (perhaps the 18x14x11 grams size).  Any thoughts from the experts on this craziness?  Thanks! 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
My 2005 People 150 has about 9000 Km on it.  I bought it used about two years ago and I believe all parts are original.  Something has become a little more noticeable to me recently.  When I am at a stop and I twist the throttle to get going, there is often a "shudder" initially from the transmission and then once I get going, all is well.  As long as I am going, say 5 mph or faster, and hit the throttle, no problem.  I only notice the "shudder" when I am going real slow and start accelerating, or when accelerating from a stop.  Is this common for a scoot or do I have something to be concerned about?  Thanks!

PS - Had a PR the other day.  Got the girl up to 73 mph on the speedo (downhill and with a tailwind of course)!  In actuality I was probably going closer to 65 mph, but still, I was surprised how well she handled for a relatively small, lightweight scoot.  I would have guessed I would have been white-knuckled, but she ran smooth as silk and didn't sound like she was going to blow!

..the two times that i've had similar symptoms, i had a problem in my clutch...once i had a rubber cushion out of place, and the second time, i had a clutch pad holder sticking...

..gotta disassemble the clutch to verify either...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
Could not a worn/slipping drive belt produce a similar symptom?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
Could not a worn/slipping drive belt produce a similar symptom?

..absolutely could!

;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:50:15 PM »
A bit worn rollers, at that mileage.

They will behave like that @9K, 12K and 15K kms... and they start behaving like that after 3-4K kms, when the flat spots start developing.

I bought almost all my scoots as new and all developed this "shudder" after few K kms...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
You Might want to try a few CHEAP sets of rollers to find the best weight before committing to the dr. pulley setup. I would think even 13gr. may be a good set up on a stock scoot. Maybe a set of each 11/12/13, to get the feel, then the good ones won't be a suprise!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
Thanks for all the responses boys!  After reading them and doing a little internet research, I think I may have two problems going on now.  The last few days in addition to the shudder, I sometimes get a clunk when I start to accelerate (happens around 5 mph).  It's  like something all of a sudden lets loose and the scoot jerks forward.  It also happens occasionally when I slow down at around 5 mph.  A couple weeks ago was the first time I have ever seen the cvt compartment, so I'm a newbie here.  The belt looked good, although I didn't check its width.  By reading this forum and poking around the internet, I have a pretty good idea how the variator half works, but the clutch side is a different story.  Anyway, here is what my gut feeling tells me, the shudder is from flat spots on the rollers and the clunk has something to do with the clutch.  I guess to start, I should measure the width of the belt, remove the variator (any way to do this without an impact wrench?) and check out the rollers to verify what size they are and if there are flat spots.  Should I take sandpaper to the ramps if they are rough?  Should I use loctite when replacing the variator nut?  Then we have the clutch......a broken spring would be pretty obvious, but would a rubber cushion out of place or a clutch pad holder sticking be obvious to a rookie?  Also, if I take the clutch apart, will there be spring-loaded parts flying all over the place?  Guess I'll have to take a look at the parts manual again and see if that helps any.  Any other words of wisdom for a rookie about to remove a variator and clutch for the first time?  Thanks again for your help!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »
  This one shows a pretty easy approach. You can type in variator to see some tips on removing that also. I don't use an impact so it is all pretty easy to do. I ALWAYS use Blue lok Tite on the nuts, as they are really designed to be used once, and replaced. The rollers will be obvious as for where. I have one of those electronic postage scales from Staples that I weight them with. A small sheet of emory paper (600) grit is good for polishing up all the wear surfaces. You just want to cut the shine off, and it will all be good. The most important thing is to be sure it is all tightened down well when you re-assemble it. Once you do get it all apart any problems will be obvious to you.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:18:53 AM »
You done good boys.  With all your help the ol' girl is running as smooth as silk!  I took off the variator and clutch today to have a look.  The belt looked good, and the width was within service specs.  Rollers also looked good with little wear and barely noticeable flat spots.  I think the main problem was the clutch.  The pads were glazed over and the bell was nasty, so I took some emory paper to the pads and denatured alcohol to the bell to shine it up.  No shuddering or clunking at all now!  I did notice that the clutch bell had some heat discoloration to it.  Is that common?  Well, still plan on trying some sliders at some point but first I think I will tackle adjusting the valves.  Thanks to all!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:58:03 AM »
Awesome! Everything that moves in my cvt is blue from heat. That's why I advocate strongly replacing all the springs, and the belt once a year whether you need them or not. Every success story is a victory against the NAY sayers. Keep It Rockin' Calothrix! Hey by the way! Please explain the name for me~ I love that ~squiggly thing~

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
By profession, I'm a limnologist (another one for you to look up :o).  Figured Calothrix was easier to spell than Dactylococcopsis! ;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
By profession, I'm a limnologist (another one for you to look up :o).  Figured Calothrix was easier to spell than Dactylococcopsis! ;D

.....a what??

..easier than huh???

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 10:47:14 PM »
A Limyologist, slinger... That's someone that studies British people! DuH!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()