Author Topic: problem with fuel gauge  (Read 13194 times)

sticlistul

• Sex, Scoot and Rock 'n' Roll
    • View Profile
problem with fuel gauge
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »
Now I realise that my fuel gauge it's not working proper . When I have the gas tank full it indicates well but when I have just 3.5 liters of gas left ,the gauge indicate me that I don't have fuel ... Is there a way to make it work ? I can get the litometru out from the gas tank ? or what I should do to work ?

Kimcofan

• View Profile
Re: problem with fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Your float might be stuck on something, you might have to take it apart to see whats going on, I think it comes apart I would hate that, but worst case you just have to keep track of your miles!

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »
Now I realise that my fuel gauge it's not working proper . When I have the gas tank full it indicates well but when I have just 3.5 liters of gas left ,the gauge indicate me that I don't have fuel ... Is there a way to make it work ? I can get the litometru out from the gas tank ? or what I should do to work ?

Just buy a new sender from ebay or a gas tank with one in..

sticlistul

• Sex, Scoot and Rock 'n' Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
hell no I prefer to do visual check in tank :)) I was hoping that i can repair it ...not once but twice i have to pull the scoot to the fuel station :)))

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »
hell no I prefer to do visual check in tank :)) I was hoping that i can repair it ...not once but twice i have to pull the scoot to the fuel station :)))

Keep pushing your scoot then mate... :-)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:40:52 PM »
The float on the sender has gotten stuck on my scoot before.  I just had to go through the fill hole with a metal rod and free it up.  Otherwise, the entire sending unit unscrews from the top of the tank to remove it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:43 PM »
They do wear as part of the norm. It may just have a dead spot on the varistor.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Auld.Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »
I have the same problem with my fuel gauge not working.  Over the weekend I took the consul out and check the connections and then removed the sensor from the tank.

I fiddled with the sensor and got it working. Put it back in the tank and it still worked.  Put it all back together in a hurry (but didn't check it when finished as my wife was waiting), turned it on yesterday and the gauge isn't working!

I like the idea of prodding the sensor with a rod through the gas port.  The sensor consists of a float a couple of inches long that moves up and down based on the level of gas.  To get to it you need to remove both seats, the rack, all of the trim from the seat back. 

Not sure if my problem is with the sensor or a connection.  If I can get the needle to move prodding the sensor it is presumably a sensor problem (~$25) if not is is likely to be a connection.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:37 PM »
...that's some good information Auld.Nick....

;D :D :) :D ;D

..that's what this forum's all about!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:04 PM »
I recon (with the ignition on) you can just take the sensor out of the tank and move it with your hand to see if the gauge works, if not ground one of the wires and the gauge should read full..if not the gauge or wiring is faulty if so the sender is faulty. There very simple things.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:59:32 AM »
I like joeboy! He/She always has the bottom line covered...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 01:22:27 AM »
Joeboy is right, the pick-up should work with just the ignition on.  I was able to reach through the gas cap hole with a rod and push the float down and watch the needle on the gauge move.  You shouldn't even have to take the unit out of the tank!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
Now I have a problem with fuel gauge on A125. Don't want to open another topic as it is probably the same as on A50.

When the fuel tank is topped up, the gauge is dead.

After a liter or two are consumed, the gauge works normally.

Any ideas where from to start? I hope I do not have to remove all Tupperware.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

esellie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »
I'm also having a problem with my fuel gauge.  The gauge either shows completely full or completely empty even when my tank is only half full.  I have checked the float and that works but the reading is not reflected on the gauge.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
I'm also having a problem with my fuel gauge.  The gauge either shows completely full or completely empty even when my tank is only half full.  I have checked the float and that works but the reading is not reflected on the gauge.

Did you check the resistance at wire ends, as required in the service manual?
If the values are OK, then you have a problem with gauge instrument itself, not the floating thingie in the tank...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()