Author Topic: Variator Notching  (Read 17126 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Variator Notching
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 04:45:14 AM »
Thanks Hoolander!  I really can't take all the credit!  I didn't come up with the idea, I just read about it elsewhere and was intrigued.  I believe it was a technique probably used more "back in the day"  before they had "performance variators".  Since my stock variator was just sitting around collecting dust I figured I would give it a shot.  As for the welding, I was actually thinking of using some type of epoxy or putty between the ramps to keep the rollers from coming out of the tracks.  I think the problem may be with fast deceleration where the rollers free float for a second.  When they are at the end of the ramp there is not much of a side wall holding them in.  I still can't get the rollers to turn sideways unless I hold the backing plate at the furthest out board position and shake the whole thing.  That is why I was thinking may the rapid deceleration took the pressure off them for a moment allowing them to float around.  The possible problem with using either epoxy or welding is you have to keep the variator balanced.  It may be difficult to add the same amount of material to every ramp.  I really think that if I do it again I will leave about 2mm more from the current depth and about 1mm narrower on the width and it should work better.  I may give it another go with some rollers tomorrow if I get a chance.  This test will be more about keeping the rollers in place and less about performance though.  I don't want to ride the scoot till I know they will stay put.  I really don't want to damage anything else in my cvt from another failure!  I also don't have exactly the right weight rollers so I won't be able to get a good gauge on overall performance increase.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:11 PM »
Sid came through!!!  I checked my mail and there was a package from down under, floating and everything!  JK! ;D   Anyway, very cool Sid, thank you!  I'll try and find some time for Variator Notching 2.0!

As a side note, your variator is polished almost all the way to the edge.  Mine is polished about 7mm from the edge and yours is 3mm.  What belt are you using?  I wonder if mine is different?  I'm currently running a Malossi Kevlar and was for a little while on the stock variator, but before that it was stock.  Still never got the travel yours did!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
...dude, that's awesome...i'm still waiting on you before i try this....

..i agree, i think rollers will work better than the sliders, but i think if you had stopped a cpl mm sooner, you'ld be notchin' your way around town right now....

..good luck!!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »
That what round two is for! ;D  I'll get it right this time!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
Mine is the stock belt as far as I know. next time I have the cover off I will get the part no.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »
My new var. was black painted and when I put in the 7 gram rollers a few days ago I noticed it also was polished to the edge. might try the 6 soon.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »
what up guys...sorry i been away... i sortof like this idea, not fully understanding yet..imagine that...lmao..burntout....how r u not making the ramps straight up and down basically,with a file no less...i see sid has jumped up in "the world of words"..hammer down homeboy!!!.. im like sid i HAVE to work all this on a budget..lm digging the 82cc setup u spoke off.sounds good. i thought the belt would ride all the way up after the change anyway?.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 01:36:59 PM »
G'Day Batman, the 82cc kit sounded pretty good but it has had it's share of problems, at one point zombie had described it as a F**?/ing hand grenade. After fiddling and pulling it apart time and again I hope to have got it sorted out. Having said that, with a bit of patience it has been a rewarding experience because sometimes you do get results, though sometimes it does go the other way. The joys of buying cheap. How are you going with your scoot, did you end up getting your C.V.T. sorted out?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:38:34 PM by sidthesloth »

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 01:54:41 PM »
what up...see, thats why im even scared of a kit..SEVERAL say not to if its a daily rider..6-8mths max before rebuild.i live in mtns, sooo,idk.. y, sh** no..,still ill over that but havent really done anything lately. i crashed, had to fix that. i posted in my thread,zx issues.. dont really have hundreds of bucks to toss away right now, the guessin game sux....lmao. sounds lk u have the stuff for urs. 24mm carb??.daaaaam!!!. i thought of changin my carb but really dont know if it would help much wo the kit..carb is cheaper than kit..lmao. the 14mm oem is way small..i was thinkin 19
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
Yeah, the oko carb I got seems to be pretty good, it is easy to change the main jet if nothing else, again, it was cheap, $125. They also do a 20mm carb.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »
seems like that carb would b saved for racing..i was thinkin 19mm carb but my motor still stock, could b a waste of cash wo the rest..ever find any used preformance parts?? cheaper parts??, i seen where u said u found weights for like $7.00.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
Actually batman, the 19mm carb, and intake will help. Mostly on the top end. You can always kit/or not later... but the carb. will help.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 04:47:10 PM »
now thats what i was thinking..more gas, would need more air then. 19 sounded good to me. guess it would have to be rejetted huh?? the oem 14mm is way tiny..lol. that one local shop said it wouldnt make a diff. witout the kit. they go hand and hand type thing.. seen them for like 109.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »
Batman, I think the trick to getting a kit that works is to buy a proven product!  I have had very little comparatively to others with my Airsal kit.  The whole "performance pack" I got from Moped Hospital was basically a bolt on and go!  I'm more one for the tuning though, so I want every bit of performance I can out it!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
Shaka, You know I never diss. my Bro's BUT you had to go thru all sorts of hell to get your kit to bolt up correctly. I remember even if you (forget)? Batman, Every kit has to be "tuned" No matter how good it is it always has to be adjusted some on every scoot. The best kits will plug/play, and could still be tuned better. The least known kits have the most problems fitting, never mind running well. I would recommend saving an extra few dollars to buy a Delorto, or a Mikuni or something. Oko is hit or miss w/ quality. Also think about the throttle cable. MOST aftermarket carbs will require a new cable to fit.  Or at least some re-fitting of the cable end/adjuster.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()