Author Topic: Replaced my drive boss on Agility now funny noise. Re post please help  (Read 2835 times)

rliburd2002

• View Profile
Hi all,

I have recently cut the CDI on my Agility 50 and it increased the speed from 32mph to 38mph. Great.
Then I bought a derestricted drive boss and fitted it on Monday. First ride was fine. Speed increased to 40-45. When I started it the next morning
there was a bit of noise coming from under the kick start cover but after I revved it a couple of time it went so I carried on to work. After riding for about 30mins I noticed the noise again when sitting at the lights and realised it only came when idling??

So later I started my journey home and all was fine. After 10 mins I heard the noise again when idling but it went when I revved.

I also started to notice a sound when riding at higher speeds. It's like a rubbing coming from underneath me that speeds up with the bike. Really weird!

Any help would be appreciated.

I posted this in How too but wasnt sure if I should post in here also. Sorry if you have seen it twice.

Thanks

rliburd2002

blue

• View Profile
just pull everything off and touble check to see if its put back together right.
I did that because the plastic piece on the fly wheel came off.and was makeing noise.
it happeens sometimes the littlest things well help.

Shaka

• View Profile
I would definitely pull the cvt cover back off and re-check everything!  Something may have come loose.  The other possibility is the kickstart gear may be slightly rubbing on the variator.

rliburd2002

• View Profile
I will try that thanks. Unfortunately that means I am on the train to work until Saturday. Funny you mention the kick start gear because I took it off by mistake and had trouble putting it back together. Still started using it but I'll definately check

Thanks for the speedy reply!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..'m puttin my money on the kickstart...

..good luck and welcome to the forum!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

joeboy

• View Profile
..'m puttin my money on the kickstart...

..good luck and welcome to the forum!

If thats all it is its less than 5 mins to fix, I wouldnt be getting the train I would be getting some extra sleepy time every morning ...zzzzzzzzzzz

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..those mechanism are a bit tricky...you have to get the proper amount of preload, and make sure that it comes back to rest in the correct position, or it won't work right...

rliburd2002

• View Profile
Thanks guys. I think it must be the kickstart. How do you know when you've done it right then?

I get home too late to check it as it is dark but I may get up a bit earlier tomorrow to do it.

I hate the train. I'm in London too so its the tube. Too many people breathing into my mouth!!!

rliburd2002

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..best thing i could tell you to do, to know that it is right, is to download the Service Manual ..

"http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/35828/Kymco_Agility%2050.html "

..it's like 19 parts to d-load it all...it has really good drawings and "How-Tos"...this is a MUST HAVE item!!

peace
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:57:05 PM by wordslinger »

rliburd2002

• View Profile
So I opened everything up and put it back together all good. The kickstart was rubbing and it took me ages to get it right. Still had the problem with the rubbing noise in the engine. I now have 2 theories....

1. The drive boss seems to have a slightly larger bore than the stock one. Only about half a mil and its still a snug fit but maybe not as snug as it could be?
2. My belt seemed to be a bit soft. If the belt needs replacing and is a bit loose could that make the rubbing noise?

(ps. it took me so long to do this as I had no impact and no variator holder)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Replaced my drive boss on Agility now funny noise. Re post please help
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 03:01:20 AM »
There is a minimum width across the top of the belt that is listed in the manual. If it is below that then of course and, the boss should fit SNUG if it sits loosely it will spin until it begins unevenly, and rattles the whole scoot. Maybe contact the supplier of the boss, and mention it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
Re: Replaced my drive boss on Agility now funny noise. Re post please help
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:39:06 AM »
I also had this noise when idiling. If i hit the kickstarter a little bit the kickstarter gear gets hit and the sound goes away for a while.

You might be having the same problem as me.
Remove the variatorcover and check if the ring is missing from inside the cover.
This ring hold the starte device in place but if it is missin the starter device will hang a little bit lower and the teeth of the variator will hit it.

This hitting will make the starte device not working right becuase to will deform some metal and the spring will not function.

Have a look at :

You can properly see that a metal part is missing if you comepare it.

Also make sure you tighten that 17 mm nut. I just read another post by someone that diddent and waited 5 or 6 months for the shop to fix the problem.

I do like this on my Kymco Super 8 (picture at bottom) for the variator nut.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:40:59 PM by scootergrisen »

rliburd2002

• View Profile
I ended up taking the bike to the shop after realising that the exhaust was falling apart. The rubbing noise was because the exhaust had deteriorated at the manifold. My extra speed on an already old exhaust took it over the edge!

So new stock exhaust and now I'm comfortably hitting 45mph (70km) downhill.

After a couple of months I have started hearing the noise again. I will check the exhaust connection at the manifold to make sure it has not come loose but my question is: Is it possible that the stock exhaust cannot handle the extra kph? I do about 125 miles a week.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..dude, i have over 49,000 kms on my 08 that i bought in december of 07...

..nothing except the starter motor and front brake pads have ever "failed" on it until a cpl hundred kms ago....

..what numbers are on the top of your carburetor??

peace, and welcome Back to th' forum!

;D

rliburd2002

• View Profile
I'll check the carb numbers.

What about the fact I'm doing 45mph instead of the 32 restricted. What speeds are you doing.

Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()