Author Topic: this is probably a dumb question...  (Read 2881 times)

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
this is probably a dumb question...
« on: April 10, 2010, 01:48:24 AM »
ok, so as dumb as it may be I have to ask.. Do you think I need a bigger pilot jet? (current is stock) Conventional wisdom says to tune the mixture screw for highest stable idle speed.. but "highest idle speed" for mine is all the way in with the engine fully warmed. I havent changed anything that would increase the airflow, filter and pipe are both stock.

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: this is probably a dumb question...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:51:36 AM »
Not a dumb question!  It does sound like you could use a slightly larger pilot jet though!  If you have no adjustment with the screw, then the jet needs to be changed.  What elevation are you running at?  That can have an effect on the jetting.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »
Another dumb question( From me ) There are the Idle speed set screw, and the idle mix screw. Are you sure you got the two right? If you do then the pilot jet or passage may be clogged. A can of brake clean or carb clean, and sewing needles work best for me. Another tip on adjusting is, get the max rpms from the mix screw, and turn it back 1/4 turn this will add a little extra fuel, and give a more reliable setting. Then you use the idle speed screw to adjust the final idle rpm.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
elevation isnt an issue, massive temperature swings are :) Theres only one other place in the world that has a comparable temperature range between summer and winter to the typical differences we see in MN and thats Siberia! That makes the spring and autumn interesting because between 8am and 5pm there can be easily as much as 60 degrees difference in temp  Its always been a little cranky when the weather got variable like this but this is the first spring its been through as my primary transport to and from work so its getting ridden in the coolest and hottest parts of the day. Add that to a recent extremely thorough carb cleanout after which everything EXCEPT the idle mix was just fine (you guys helped me out with that one on the other thread) and I'm more inclined to actually try to get it "right" as opposed to "good enough"

To answer Zombie, yeah I know the diff between the idle speed adjuster preloading the throttle cable and the mix adjuster on the opposite side of the carb - one stands straight up from the cable linkage and can be reached through an access panel without taking the seat box out and the other is inset to the side of the carb and does need the seat removed to access ;) If It were nonresponsive and/or hadnt recently been thoroughly cleaned I'd be tearing it down to clean out the jet, yeah, but it actually is responsive.. theres a clear change in idle speed with each 1/4 turn of the mix screw. Normally I'd expect that starting from fully rich and backing it off the revs would peak and then drop off as the engine started running too lean... but in this case it just got slower.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:22:24 PM »
Your stock carb adjusts the opposite way. All the way in or clockwise is the leanest setting, and out is richer, Turn it in till the highest is reached, then out 1/4 turn. The circuit controls the fuel flow, rather than air.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:21:33 AM »
Your stock carb adjusts the opposite way. All the way in or clockwise is the leanest setting, and out is richer, Turn it in till the highest is reached, then out 1/4 turn. The circuit controls the fuel flow, rather than air.

crap and derision... thanks mate.. makes much more sense now.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:32:54 AM »
crap and derision... Is that served before or after spotted dick?

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:17:44 AM »

It's served after a dumb as dirt limey realizes that it doesnt matter that even the manual calls it the "air screw" if he;s listened to the evidence of his own ears he'd have realized that... I mean, think about it!  I was seeing symptoms of lean and thinking rich..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 02:38:49 AM »
We've all been there, and done that... I find plenty of times that I have to forget about what I thought I was doing, and re-think the symptoms/results.

yankee doodle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:25:23 AM »
??? OH WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT ZOMBIE BRO ?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »
Outside, riding the scoot!

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:30:13 AM »

You have a spotted dick obsession zombie... ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 12:33:56 AM »
Some things are just tooooo funny to leave alone. Oh God, I think that spot is moving...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 02:57:46 AM »
You have a spotted dick obsession zombie... ;D

Sorry joeboy, I've created a monster!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:18:35 AM »
Rarrraghhhh hac hac... MMMmmmm spotted dick~

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()