Author Topic: Ethanol/Methanol?  (Read 4083 times)

InfernoST

• View Profile
Ethanol/Methanol?
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
Hi All
  I just picked up a 2010 Yager and just got done going thru the owners manual and came across something I'm not to happy about. It states that the use of any fuel containing Ethanol/Methanol will void the scoots warranty, this is a problem here in New York because it is added to the gasoline for the winter months. Is this fact, or am I interpreting that statement the wrong way? Also, wiil gasoline that contains Ethanol/Methanol damage my Yager?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:06:30 AM by InfernoST »
-Keith-

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Ethanol/Methanol?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:44:21 PM »
Ethanol is the main culprit. It attacks the aluminum parts. There will be a build up of aluminum oxide inside the carb. that will attach itself to the jets creating a lean running condition. This is more pronounced after storage. To counteract the effect; Sea Foam added to every third tank will remove the oxide. Also when storing for the winter months double the dose, and be sure to run it thru the carb. Methanol attacks the rubber parts. Sea foam again will reduce the effect. I was running it on every tank, but found every third is enough. I wouldn't worry about it just use the Sea foam. 
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
There are 2 stations in the small town I live in that sell non ethanol gas . I fill up my car and a 5 gal. can for my small engines there . Good luck .

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
What I have found here in Florida is the fuel can be "treated" by the supplier, and yet again by the distributer. Up to 10% ethanol is labeled on the pump.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

InfernoST

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:54 AM »
Ethanol is the main culprit. It attacks the aluminum parts. There will be a build up of aluminum oxide inside the carb. that will attach itself to the jets creating a lean running condition. This is more pronounced after storage. To counteract the effect; Sea Foam added to every third tank will remove the oxide. Also when storing for the winter months double the dose, and be sure to run it thru the carb. Methanol attacks the rubber parts. Sea foam again will reduce the effect. I was running it on every tank, but found every third is enough. I wouldn't worry about it just use the Sea foam.  
No carb, fuel injection. I will look into the Sea Foam but it is it needed for FI since there is no bowl for the fuel to sit in?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:22:34 AM by InfernoST »
-Keith-

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »
There are still enough aluminum, and rubber parts to be a problem. It is actually amplified by the injector because of the tiny outlet nozzle. Sea foam contains Propanol which deactivates the ethanol. If you sat a bit of aluminum in a container of ethanol you will see the effect. Same w/ rubber in methanol

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:15 AM »
I live in Virginia , here if the gas has ethanol it has to be disclosed at the pump , in writing . The 2 non ethanol stations I use have no ethanol . I had to use the computer to find them . Try googling non ethanol stations in your area . Good luck .

InfernoST

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »
There are still enough aluminum, and rubber parts to be a problem. It is actually amplified by the injector because of the tiny outlet nozzle. Sea foam contains Propanol which deactivates the ethanol. If you sat a bit of aluminum in a container of ethanol you will see the effect. Same w/ rubber in methanol

Cool, I'll order some. Thanks for the info.
-Keith-

InfernoST

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »
I live in Virginia , here if the gas has ethanol it has to be disclosed at the pump , in writing . The 2 non ethanol stations I use have no ethanol . I had to use the computer to find them . Try googling non ethanol stations in your area . Good luck .

I'll give it a shot. Up here in NY they also post the percentage of ethanol at the pump.
-Keith-

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
I CA, all of the gas is treated as far as I know. 

As to the Sea-Foam, you can get it at Wal-Mart, just about any boat shop and most car parts stores.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
Cali. is ahead of the curve compared to the rest of the US. They also had the most smog at one time too. I think Lodi New Jersey may be in the lead now. I roll up the windows before getting within 50 miles of there.

InfernoST

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:16:08 PM »
I CA, all of the gas is treated as far as I know. 

As to the Sea-Foam, you can get it at Wal-Mart, just about any boat shop and most car parts stores.
No Wal-Marts in the 5 boroughs but plenty of auto supply and boat shops.
-Keith-

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »
Cali. is ahead of the curve compared to the rest of the US. They also had the most smog at one time too. I think Lodi New Jersey may be in the lead now. I roll up the windows before getting within 50 miles of there.

When you are getting close to Lodi in CA, you need to windows up for a completely different reason. They have feed lots and a waste treatment plant along Highway 5. For about 10 miles. It gets really smelly some days.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 01:43:42 AM »
Maybe the name Lodi is the same as MLK BLVD. MLK is Always in da hood, And Lodi Always has a funk. It's just a joke so please don't hate me... My next home will most likely be on MLK in Lodi, See how funny it is then...

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
Does Sea Foam have any effect on mileage?
Rick

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()