Author Topic: Rating My NEW Kymco 500Ri vs. My Burgman 400  (Read 12062 times)

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
Rating My NEW Kymco 500Ri vs. My Burgman 400
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:43:22 PM »
I am a new 2009 Kymco 500 Ri owner - 5' 10"- 260 #'s (love those twinkies).
I started on a Roketa MC54 (new), then moved up to a six-year old Burgman 400 (soon for sale) before just buying the new 500Ri.

Here are some first impression comparisons ... after my 100 mile ride home from the dealer (he had my color - charcoal):

1)  Kymco has significantly higher seat than the Burgman.  I am on half-toe, versus full flat on the Burgman.
2)  Kymco is much "throatier" at low rpm than the Burgman.  It's a manly scoot!  (Is that a contradiction in terms?  ... or "non sequitur" for the edgemicated among us.)
3)  Oddly, I'm having to add mirror extenders to the Kymco, while the Burgman mirrors were OK.  The added benefit is that the mirrors won't hit the big Givi windscreen, as I've read about here.
4)  Kymco's larger front wheel (15" vs. 13") makes the Kymco REALLY want to stand up and STAY vertical.  It takes significantly more counter steer to lay the bike over.  Feels more substantial, despite only 10 pound wt. difference, and handles bumps better.
5)  Kymco under-seat storage can't compare to the Burgman ... not even close.  I'll be adding Givi top case AND side cases, SOMEHOW!
6)  Kymco REQUIRES the high Givi windshield.  At highway speeds, the SCOOT was solid as a rock against the wind, WHILE I was getting buffeted like crazy from the shoulders up.  It actually felt like I might get blown off the scoot, while IT continued smoothly down the road.
7)  The Kymco seat is unpleasantly hard and wide, as is the Burgman.  I'm going to do SOMETHING about that.  I'm thinking about sponge rubber, not gel or memory foam.  Go feel a Goldwing seat, sometime.  I might change the cover to suede naugahyde - I love the stuff - feels soft and breathable, but grips you.
8)  Kymco is very "tight" on the throttle - first twist at 1000 rpm = movement.  The Burgman, which I have fitted with a J. Costa variator needed about 2200 rpm before movement.  This could not be from "age" - the J.Costa variator was less than a year old.  I think J.Costa simply builds it to require higher rpm on takeoff to yield that little perception of extra power.  I haven't been impressed with it.
9)  I won't have to add a buzzer to the turn signals of the Kymco (as I did to the Burgman), as the Kymco comes with a good "clacking" sound.
10)  I haven't GPS'ed the speedometer, yet, so I don't know if I'll be adding a Sigma bicycle speedo.  Boy, are they accurate.

Conclusions:

I'll miss the low seat and nimble handling of the Burgman, but I prefer the stature and substance of the Kymco. 

I'm very happy with my purchase.  And if I can sell my Burgman for what I paid for it (actually, pretty likely due to upgrades), the 500 will only have cost me $3,000.  The Kymco needs a little customizing, but that's my thing, anyway.

Q:  What's the story with the different mirrors? 

I looked at 500's that had fully molded mirror mounts, which require removal of a piece of tupperware to get at two bolts, while mine are standard 10mm stem mounts.?.?.?  I'm not really complaining, just curious.  This WILL allow my to easily mount a Shark radio/usb/mp3 player, that features speakers IN THE mirrors, plug-in tweeters on top of them and a woofer in the under-seat area.  (That will allow space under the seat for a pair of gloves, one set on goggles and a do-rag .. but let's not be bitter!)  I stick the remote to the left brake fluid cover with double faced foam tape... works great.

Anybody else have a similar experience?  ... or different?  Welcome a newbie.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Rating My NEW Kymco 500Ri vs. My Burgman 400
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »
..Welcome to the forum Dave!

..congrats on your new scoot!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
Absolutely DaveRinPA, Welcome aboard Bro! What a great write up! Fair, and honest. I have recommended to many people here to have their seats re-done at a good Auto Upholstery shop. With good results I might add. The entire Kymco line is known for their firm seats. I also like the Mods. you have in store. The 500 is right at home w/ the larger "cruisers" once it is properly dressed up. Keep us informed! I think your adventure will be quite well received here, as there are alot of 500 owners that would love to dress up , and go out on the town for 1/5th the price of the other cruisers. Welcome aboard...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
Yes, I had very similar experience.
I compared a new Xciting 500 (carburetor) against a rarely used Burgman 400 K2 or K3. They had nearly the same price!
And though the Burgi has much more trunk space, the more economically engine (I assume) and less servicing, I chose the Xciting for his superior riding. I love his seat and space for the driver - like the Tmax and even better than the Burgman 650.
The new Burgman 400 with his stronger fuel injected engine and 14" wheel might perform much better than the old one and comparable with the Xciting - but it was and is more expensive than the Xciting too.

My old Xciting has his mirrors far down (even lower than handle bar) on the panels with 2 bolts on each side.
The newer Xciting has the mirrors mounted on the handle bar.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:05:43 PM by ts1 »

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
Congrats on the new X500. Mine is just a couple of months old.

My mirrors are on the handle bars. They seem to give me a good rear view.

You won't have a problem finding top cases, but the only side case moutung hardware I've found is from Kymco Germany. There is a "hard case" thread here  in the forum. That's mine. One ts1 found the URL.
 http://www.kymco.de/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/zubehoer/KYMCO_ZUBEHOER-ZWEIRAD_0902.pdf. There's a lot of choice in soft cases.

Both Piaggio and Kymco have 250's with 16" wheels. I wish they would put 16s on the X500.

As for the windshield, I'm going to ask around to see if the "old" clear stock windshield will bolt up to our model of X500. I think it is taller than our "sport" windshield, and might not have the problem with the handlebar mirrors.

I agree.. the seat is HARD. But the material dries in minutes after a rain. Still, I'll have to look into redoing my seat, too.

I disagree with Zombie's "right at home w/ the larger "cruisers" once it is properly dressed up". I don't think it needs much at all to be "right at home" :-)

And, BTW, i weigh in at 255... ah, well.

Happy scootin'

Rick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:47:20 AM »
Well I wouldn't throw it out of bed Naked! Just a little bling...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 02:36:26 AM »
Thanks for the attaboys, and welcomes.

While you were talking among yourselves, I:

1)  Mounted my trailer hitch for my 20"x32" Croozer (bicycle) trailer to the left rear lower shock bolt.

2)  Mounted my Burgman TomTom adapter plate to my yoke (handle bar holder-downer) bolts.  All four holes lined up perfectly AFTER a little squeeze in the vise.  I trimmed (!) the handlebar cover to refit over the adapter.  I managed to save the lower center tupperware catch to keep holding the piece in original alignment.  One problem - the adapter plate was set too far forward when attached to all four yoke bolts (as on my Burgman), so I just attached it to the rear two.  Now it looks right up at me and smiles!  Boy, those lower screws for the handlebar cover sure are at a weird angle!  And I haven't dealt with where to wire it or plug it in (it came with a hard-wired DC male plug - cigarette lighter) ... I'll probably either hard-wire it under the handlebar cover, or mount a DC adapter in the left glove box.   PLEASE don't ask me where I got the adapter - I don't know!  I tried to look it up for hours last week, assuming it wouldn't fit the Kymco, and couldn't for the life of me find where I got it.  JUST GOT LUCKY!

3)  Mounted my garage door opener through the rear slot of the spark plug access cover (center of the hump - one bolt) by trimming a 3/4" slot of the underlaying plastic lip out.  Nice and tight using the visor clip - not going anywhere - and no visible means of support.  Electrical-taped the raw end of the visor clip so it won't mar the access panel.

TOMORROW morning - - - >  THE TRUNK!    Then I'm going to ride the dam&ed thing!  65-70 degrees and sunny ... don't expect to here from me!

p.s. - Missed my calling - should have been a surgeon.

Thanks again for the welcome.  When I feel I have it up to speed, I'll post before and after pix.

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:41:16 AM »
Oops - slipped my mind!

I also mounted the Givi windshield ... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Didn't ride it yet, but it looks just as tall as the Givi on my Burgman, and also has the hand-deflectors.  On my Burgman, those lengthened my riding season by at least a month.  Instead of a jet blast on your hands, you just get a gentle swirl.  THIS is worth the price of the windshield for us Yankees.

OK - I'll give up now.

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:45:34 AM »
get an Air Hawk cushion, its a must, I made new extended mirrors up out of cheap car side mirrors took them apart for the mirror and glued them to smaller after market mirrors and tarted them up to not look too home made. The speedo will be waaay out if its like mine, need to be modified or a bike speedo set up ;D

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 02:49:34 AM »
also replaced the muffler..the stock muffler weighs 18.5 lb!!!. changing that improved the handling, which I hadnt expected but it was noticable after it was changed how it handled better

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 03:01:14 AM »
Alex - Already ordered my "production" mirror extenders - $24.80 delivered.  One catch - he eMailed me back to say his shop would be on vacation until the 18th, but they would definitely ship by the 20th ... from HONGKONG!  

If you haven't gotten anything from HongKong - it's a trip!  Shipping is usually less than a week, but they frequently wrap your package in a bow(!), and mark it as a gift on the customs form to avoid duty!!!

I can't recommend the Sigma speedometers enough.  A magnet on your front hub (I use epoxy) - rig the receiver off a nearby brake line clamp with a bent scrap of aluminum painted black and your in business - it's battery operated.  It's just a matter of routing the receiver wire up to where you mount the speedo - double-faced foam tape, again.  You just measure the circumference of the front wheel and input it into the Sigma, and your good.

I've been looking at the cushions, but I'm partial to a permanent solution.  I want the seat narrower, too.

Thanks for the feedback.

DaveRinPA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 03:02:40 AM »
Alex again -

Which muffler?  From who?  I'm not looking to sound like a Harley, but I've read about the weight issue here, before.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
Wow we were all busy! That's alot of cool goodies.

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
Welcome and thanks for a great review. There are definately some things I would like to do with my scoot but unfortunately there are so few on the road around here and very little support and backup available. The one that I'm keen on right now are those fancy gas shocks that I see on the global and the USA site. I have been testing various settings on the originals and seem to think that the higher pre-stress settings are contributing somehow to that tank-slapping handling problem at the top end. I like the firmer settings for the handling and was convinced the slapping was purely from the quality of the front suspension. Now I'm not so sure. Have been riding with the back shocks set on 4 and up to about 140 km/h it's hard and fine but over that it gets a bit scary. Then I set the shocks back down to 1 and seem to think it's a bit more stable up there around 150-160 km/h. Or maybe it's all in the mind. Anyway those shocks are not available here and I'm thinking to import them would likely cost me at least two to three months rent. Can't see a price anywhere. Our money is not worth much when converting to the dollar. Does anyone have them and if so, how have they changed the ride? Regards from Durban RSA.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
Oh that hard seat, yeah, the Xciting 500 seat is hard. I found a guy in San Antonio who makes custom seats for scooters and motorcycles, even makes it while you wait if you're from out of town. He gets foam from Germany that is superior to gel and memory foam. After it was made more narrow and cut down lower, comfort improved a lot. Here's some pics of mine:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bongo420
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()