Author Topic: paint topic 2  (Read 2624 times)

Dark13

• View Profile
paint topic 2
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »
ok this is what im going for i want a metal flake paint job this is the brand/paint im looking at

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalspecks.html

although i may go for

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

so zombie take it away

(keep in mind im only painting the parts of my scoot that are already painted and removing all the stickers after all stickers are for kids)
proud owner of a 2009 kymco agility 50

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: paint topic 2
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
My best advice is stay away from the second one. They make it sound easy but the effect comes out mottled, or blotchy looking. The first is soooo much better. The easiest thing to do is STRIP all the plastics off the scoot. you will have a MUCH better finish, I use 180-200 grit wet/dry sand paper. (the black sheet stuff) Wet sanding from a bucket of water will make the paper cut easier, and there will be no dust to clog the paper or you. Any scratches can be filled w/ polyester glazing compound. It is works just like bondo but is made for scratches not large areas. The auto parts will have it in pint sized cans for a few dollars. Any cracks can be aligned w/ cloths pins or small clamps. you sand the back w/ 80 grit sandpaper, and apply 2 part epoxy, and either glass cloth, or even an old t shirt will work for small patches. Stay away from the clamp. Once it cures (1 hour or so) you can remove the clamp, and finish the area where it was. The outside surface can now be sanded/filled w/ the polyester, and finish sanded. THE ENTIRE SURFACE TO BE PAINTED should be wet sanded, and cleaned w/ alcohol. Rubbing alcohol, and paper towels are fine. Hang all the parts on wire hangers shaped into "s" hooks, and prime w/ the duplicolor primer. Don't try to cover all at once, but do a few mist coats, and it will cure quicker, and be more stable when you paint. DON"T get greedy on that step, and try to be Picasso. Just 3-4 mist coats will do it. Maybe 2-3 large cans, or 3-4 small ones. Let it cure for an hour. At that point I drink the rest of the alcohol. lol  Wet sand again Lightly this time to feel the primer turn smooth. That is all you want is to feel the difference. Go buy some more alcohol re clean, and spray the top coats the same way. 3-4 light coats are MUCH better than 1-2 heavy ones. Just mist over one panel at a time, and by the time you get to the last one the first is ready for the next coat. keep repeating till you get the depth you want, and enjoy the rest of the alcohol. The next day you can decide if you want to clear coat or not. If you do it is Sand,clean, and two coats of clear. Try to cover lightly w/out blotching the first coat, by the time you finish all the pannels the first will be ready for a second coat. Look CAREFULLY as you spray as this is your finish coat. ps. a heat gun or hot blow drier will get the stickers off easiest. Try it ,and you will see. POST UP THE STORY BRO! I'm already anxious for you...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Dark13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
thanks for the info I'm gonna paint my spare helmet first

between painting that and the boxes i will know whether or not im up for the task
proud owner of a 2009 kymco agility 50

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »
You're on the ball Dark! Practice makes Purrrrfect!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
..you know ur sh*t zomb*e...

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
I love fabrication, and painting Bro! I have had tons of "careers" but this has always been the most rewarding for me.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Adding my 0.02 from experience in a very different area...

I do lacquerwork on nihonto fittings (shafts for yari, saya for the blades etc...) bottom line when working with paint systems like this is "roughen the previous layer ads little as possible then put as few light layers as you can get away with on top" just repeat that cycle over and over and you'll get a perfect, resilient mirror finish faster than by any other method.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:16:04 PM »
oh yeah, and I use 'em too :) lets see if I can attach a pic...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:40:41 AM »

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »
...video snipped...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 02:49:11 AM »
Thats one serious Photo there bro! I just HAD to get lightened up after I saw that. Awesome Skills! I would turn myself into cabbage w/ one of those...Even a little one!

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
Thats one serious Photo there bro! I just HAD to get lightened up after I saw that. Awesome Skills! I would turn myself into cabbage w/ one of those...Even a little one!

yeah, well.... just like theres only two kinds of bikers, the ones that have crashed it and the ones that will, if they use live blades at all theres only two kinds of swordsman - the ones that have cut themselves and the ones that will.  Half of the training to use 'em is making sure that WHEN it happens, its something that can be fixed. I'm sure one of the ones that have... made the mistake of training when I was too tired and stressed out to keep proper focus and control and then compounded it by attempting an awkward turning draw and cut from a kneeling position.. "Good evening knee, meet Mr fast-moving sharp thing.. " dozen stitches and a month and a half unable to train at all to remind me to not do THAT again.

Sorry for perpetuating the thread-jack

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:41 PM »
I can only imagine! If I want a thrill I just close my eyes, and run around the yard! The neighbors love it!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
I can only imagine! If I want a thrill I just close my eyes, and run around the yard! The neighbors love it!

..have you ever closed your eyes while scootin down th' road...now that's a thrill!!!...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »
I'm actually doing it right n

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()