Author Topic: Spring has sprung  (Read 2659 times)

ispud

• View Profile
Spring has sprung
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
70's today - gave Her Big Redness a bath and she is ready to roll.  All is well mechanically.  I have been using a couple 5 gallon gas cans to fill my scooters up - saves going to gas station all the time - I add 1.5 oz Stabila each fill up to maintain sparkly engine interior.  

:)>>
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:18:46 AM by ispud »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Spring has srung
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »
I just lOVE the spring... Sea Foam will work better than the Sta-Bil for you. It also removes carbon from the rings, and oxide from the jets. Mine is just a ltlle red thing but I still love it>
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »
tell me more!  about sea foam = it certainly wins the cool name award.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:21:09 AM by ispud »

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Spring has sprung
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:22:34 AM »
SeaFoam is available at most auto parts stores here in Nashville -- it's about $8/16oz. canister. Good stuff for stabilizing fuel (for storage; see label for amount), and does a good job of keeping the fuel system clean. I add about an ounce every 4th fill-up.

There's a newish product out there called StarTron that claims to be specially-formulated to her alleviate the deleterious effects of E10 fuels (common here -- 10% ethanol/90% gasoline blend). It's also about $8 for what looks to be a 16oz. bottle, so I'll give it a shot as soon as my current supply of SeaFoam is gone. It's gotten a lot of good press on the 'tubes, so I suspect it's a decent product.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 02:48:51 AM »
I've used Seafoam in the past with great results.  I more recently am giving Sta-bil marine formula a try.  It is also designed specifically to counteract the negative effects of ethanol.  Can't really comment on it's effectiveness other than I've had no issues and my carb was sparkly clean last time I pulled it apart!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 02:52:15 AM »
It's basically all good. Omc makes a product called Carbon Guard that is also quite good. If you use that w/ their 2t synth. there is almost 0 carbon build up.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 03:49:09 AM »
Went to Wal-Mart and got some StarTron after JPrestonian mentioned it last time.  One ounce treats 16 gal, I think.  So I put one quarter oz into 4 gallons in a can.  Ran all 4 gallons through scooter.

It didn't run any worse.   :D  In my imagination, it might've run better.   ;D

Look for it in the marine section.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
I just lOVE the spring... Sea Foam will work better than the Sta-Bil for you. It also removes carbon from the rings, and oxide from the jets. Mine is just a ltlle red thing but I still love it>

..well, now...i think that's the first time i've seen your scoot z-man...

...I LIKE IT!!!

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »
Went to Wal-Mart and got some StarTron after JPrestonian mentioned it last time.  One ounce treats 16 gal, I think.  So I put one quarter oz into 4 gallons in a can.  Ran all 4 gallons through scooter.

It didn't run any worse.   :D  In my imagination, it might've run better.   ;D

My local dealer started carrying it in the past week, so when I went to help out at the shop yesterday, I picked up a bottle.

The label says 1oz treats six gallons of fuel, so your mix was too diluted by quite a bit, Hoo. The label claims no harm in putting too much of it in (which I believe, and they would probably encourage, actually). I put a couple of capfuls in my full (2.1 gal) tank, yesterday, and haven't noticed any difference so far, but I'll be keeping an eye on fuelly to see if I notice any increases in MPG, as so many of the web testimonials claim.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »
..well, now...i think that's the first time i've seen your scoot z-man...

...I LIKE IT!!!     Did you catch the beer can on the patio chair? Just noticed it myself... Birds of a feather Bro!

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »
Mr Observant here.  It wasn't Stabil it was Sea Foam - filled up again today and read the can!!  I swear it ran a little stronger/smoother after adding the first shot last week - could be wishful thinking.  My ps250 is preforming admirably these days - may do the gear oil again, because of the leak they fixed - not sure how much is in there and from what I can tell you have to empty it and then add 180 of some metric measurement - there is no way to measure it other wise.  And what ever you do don't do what the manual says!!  Or the repair manual either - they both have bad info in them (imagine that!).

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »
The stuff really does work. You will notice it more on the second-third tank full.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()