Author Topic: Tickover all over the place  (Read 1308 times)

joeboy

• View Profile
Tickover all over the place
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:42:44 PM »
Has anyone had this before? i just cant get a nice tickover shes either racing or nearly cuttting out.

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Tickover all over the place
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:28:49 PM »
Has anyone had this before? i just cant get a nice tickover shes either racing or nearly cuttting out.

racing or dieing.. sounds WAY lean at idle, paricularly if it usually races THEN dies. I'm guessing its time to clean your pilot jet.

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:29:51 AM »
Another quick try is remove the air pipe going to the carb and grab a rag in your hand. Give the scoot a good rev, and when it starts to rev up, jam the rag over the inlet of the carb. This generally clears a lot of the crap out of the just because the engine is sucking so hard to get the air/fuel thru. Put the rag on and off to keep it running a few times, and then see how it goes. It will fuel right up, and you will need to keep adding and removing the rag to keep it going, and yes there will be black smoke. If that doesnt work, then go to the effort of pulling the whole thing to bits.
Holty

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:54:06 AM »
That is a very good tip. It does work!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
I think ive sussed it, the needle was loose because someone had put a washer under it to richen it up. Ive put it all back to stock but the locking plastic cap had been forced with the washer under so it was loose..I put a tiny bit of epoxy putty on the top of the needle and locked it down when it was nearly set, then waited for it to set up and put it back.

It seems good now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:53:33 PM by joeboy »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
..yeah, awesome!...i screwed my needle up by shaving it's head...got it too thin, and it broke free of the shaft...

..i soldered it back together...

..i'm a dummy...

:-\
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »
I read the agility workshop manual I had downloaded and found a section stating the speed reduced one has an 80 jet and the unrestricted one runs an 82, I wish i had read this before, after i fixed my needle i had to solder my jet and drill to 82.

But i must say its running spot on now i even maneged 50mph downhill today, thats what i call a result, it nearly keeps up with our peugeot trekker 2 stroke now.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 04:24:37 PM »
I read the agility workshop manual I had downloaded and found a section stating the speed reduced one has an 80 jet and the unrestricted one runs an 82, I wish i had read this before, after i fixed my needle i had to solder my jet and drill to 82.

But i must say its running spot on now i even maneged 50mph downhill today, thats what i call a result, it nearly keeps up with our peugeot trekker 2 stroke now.

..that's awesome joeboy!!!...these a50s will do 50 mph...indicated..and i've been able to get over 90 kmh indicated on mine...

..takes a lil while to get there...but it's worth it...lol...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()