Author Topic: How to change rear tire zx50?  (Read 6827 times)

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
How to change rear tire zx50?
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:05:04 AM »
Can anyone give me the cliff notes to changing a 1994 KYMCO ZX50 SUPER FEVER  rear tire? I've changed motorcycle tires but really haven't looked too good at the setup on the super fever. I've seen the 20mm? nut holding the wheel on. Is that where i start? or do I need to get it from the belt side?
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: How to change rear tire zx50?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:44:27 AM »
You first need to remove the exhaust and rear inner fender.  Then you break the loose the big nut in the center of the rear wheel.  I think it is a 24mm.  I used a 15/16" socket, don't have a 24mm one.  Once you get the rear wheel off you need to break the bead on the tire.  I removed the valve core and put my knees into the tire and they broke loose pretty easily.  Then you need 3 big metal tire levers and some dish soap.  The rest is fairly straight forward.  Wrestle the old tire off and on the new!  If you haven't gotten new tires yet I highly recommend the Avon Viper Stryke in 130/70-12 rear & 120/70-12 front!  Good luck!

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 04:54:28 AM »
thanks ! it sounds like an east straight foreward type of job. i'll do it 2morrow and let you know how it goes.

im pretty sure i got the 120 viper styker. ive heard the 130 rubs. i should have posted this question before i bought the tire because i think i would have liked the bigger tire better.

either way it will be an improvement over the stocker with 13,000 km's on it
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:19:48 AM »
I've got the 130 on mine.  It fit's but it's close, much better ride especially over the stock rubber!  I just had to remove the inner fender and have to put the wheel back on before you set the bead.

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:52:29 AM »
I found a better way to do this, start bike, ride to shop and pay them $25 to change the bloody thing. While there doing it, test ride a couple of the new models. Stinking pain in the ass job, and when finished, ride home with a smile on your face. ;D ;D ;D
Holty!!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »
It's not that bad!  The hardest part is getting the old tire off!  I don't know anywhere that charges $25 to mount them either, at least not around here!  It was something like $40 each when I looked around! 

I change an average of 20 bicycle tires a day so I've got the technique down.  They aren't any more difficult that downhill mountain bike tires!  The tubeless ones are a real pain!!!!

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »
Yes popping the bead is a pain in the a**, but it won't be ANY harder than a motorcycle tire. Believe it or not I had a harder time seating the bead. It took me a ½ hour before the bead finally popped.

I've tried a vice to break the bead but it didn't work too well on a MC tire. The easiest way to break the bead if found is to use a 2 x 6 & 1 x 1 or up to a 2 x 4 and this video;
Minimalist Tubeless Motorcycle Tire Change Part I

I don't know anyone that will change a tire for $25.00. maybe to balance the tire but not mount it. Further along in the video will show you how to do that also.

As I said before I will post my results when I finish. I try going into a job without expectations of an easy job or time constraints because it is always a longer and harder job when I do.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »
OK How do I get access to the manifold bolts on the muffler? Do I have to take the seat box out and get it from above ?
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »
Yepper! I just pull all the plastic. It is easier to see what is going on, and it gives you a good chance to clean it all up inside.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
Well I just finished mounting the tire and I'd rate it as a bit tougher than a bicycle tire and NOTHING CLOSE to a motorcycle tire. I found that if I loosened the manifold bolts enough I could get enough room to remove the wheel with out removing the whole exhaust, which I ended up doing anyways because I wanted to repaint it while it was off. Either way is no big deal.

Your right zombie I might want to clean under the seat box. I like clean things so that will be soaking in degreaser as soon as the paint dries on the muffler.

Here are a couple pics, it's going to have to be a link because the file's are too large to uplaod here. so here they are;

http://pbckt.com/sY.dMit
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot I used a 6" C-clamp to break the bead.  Anyways, glad you got it worked out!  I'm sure you'll love your new rubber!  I know it's one of my favorite upgrades!

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:05:26 AM »
i just stood on the tire and the bead broke VERY EASY! it was a cake walk.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 03:17:46 AM »
Remove the exhaust first.
Tighten the rear brake at the handle bar with a zip tie so the wheel dont turn.
Use the corret size socket and tool for the big wheel nut and remove it.
(Se if there is a clip at the nut you have to remove first)
You need a tool with a long arm on it. Maby you can use a piece of metal tubing to extend the length so it more easy.

When the nut is off you can pull the wheel right off.
Note if there are some kind of bush behind the nut there properly is.

No you cant remove it from the belt side.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 03:33:48 AM »
I struggled with the nut on mine, had to get the missus to sit on the scoot and hold the brake tight.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 03:57:24 AM »
Jeezus, dont let her rear that, she already thinks that you think shes fat, and you go and say something like that on the internet to everyone!!

;D ;D

Holty

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()