Author Topic: Repair shop screwed up my brakes! GV 250 1500 mi. Advice?  (Read 3997 times)

shawgb

• View Profile
Repair shop screwed up my brakes! GV 250 1500 mi. Advice?
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
Once AGAIN I need to say how totally impressed I am with the responsiveness and quality of information on this forum...and so I'm giving it another go...!

So - I posted several weeks ago about Kymco dealer wanting a pile of money to rebuild my carb after only 1500 miles. Well, according to replies - I felt fine about paying that bill, since I had no idea I needed to add something like "Sea Foam" because I ride rather infrequently and for very short trips.

They had my scoot for close to 3 weeks. They said it takes 2 weeks to get Kymco parts. Whatever.
Anyway - I was so jacked to get it back, I paid to have it towed back to me - since the forecast was calling for rain for the next several days. So I FINALLY get it back - and here's the killer...

My left brake handle does ABSOLUTELY nothing! No resistance at ALL. Might as well be flappin' in the wind!
There was NOTHING wrong with my brakes when it went to the dealer.
Now...I noted it said on my paperwork "rear brake seems a bit soft. Bled system but did not seem to help".

RED FLAG! Like I say - there was NO issue with my brakes.
But okay - maybe to an EXPERT the brake felt soft. To me as a RIDER, it was fine. If the dealer, as an expert, want to bleed the system - fine.

So of course I call the Service Manager and he says that's the way the scoot came in. BULLSH*T!
I was like - uhh...no sh*t "bleeding the system didn't seem to help" - in fact, YOU BROKE IT! It's completely INOPERABLE.

So we're at an impasse. They maintain it came in that way.
Does anyone have insight on what could have happened? As it was towed in - could something have happened in towing?
I guess my main confusion is that the shop took it upon themselves to address what they identified as a soft rear brake - tried bleeding the system with no improvement - and then delivered it to me with a TOTALLY inoperable rear brake!

Gawd - I dunno...any insights?
THANK YOU!

axy

• View Profile
Re: Repair shop screwed up my brakes! GV 250 1500 mi. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
Once AGAIN I need to say how totally impressed I am with the responsiveness and quality of information on this forum...and so I'm giving it another go...!

So - I posted several weeks ago about Kymco dealer wanting a pile of money to rebuild my carb after only 1500 miles. Well, according to replies - I felt fine about paying that bill, since I had no idea I needed to add something like "Sea Foam" because I ride rather infrequently and for very short trips.

They had my scoot for close to 3 weeks. They said it takes 2 weeks to get Kymco parts. Whatever.
Anyway - I was so jacked to get it back, I paid to have it towed back to me - since the forecast was calling for rain for the next several days. So I FINALLY get it back - and here's the killer...

My left brake handle does ABSOLUTELY nothing! No resistance at ALL. Might as well be flappin' in the wind!
There was NOTHING wrong with my brakes when it went to the dealer.
Now...I noted it said on my paperwork "rear brake seems a bit soft. Bled system but did not seem to help".

RED FLAG! Like I say - there was NO issue with my brakes.
But okay - maybe to an EXPERT the brake felt soft. To me as a RIDER, it was fine. If the dealer, as an expert, want to bleed the system - fine.

So of course I call the Service Manager and he says that's the way the scoot came in. BULLSH*T!
I was like - uhh...no sh*t "bleeding the system didn't seem to help" - in fact, YOU BROKE IT! It's completely INOPERABLE.

So we're at an impasse. They maintain it came in that way.
Does anyone have insight on what could have happened? As it was towed in - could something have happened in towing?
I guess my main confusion is that the shop took it upon themselves to address what they identified as a soft rear brake - tried bleeding the system with no improvement - and then delivered it to me with a TOTALLY inoperable rear brake!

Gawd - I dunno...any insights?
THANK YOU!

Did you check the oil level in the oil container through the glass?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

shawgb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »
Fair question!
I thought I had - but just checked again to be sure.
Fluid shows RIGHT to the top. Perfectly clear with no visible bubbles or anything.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
There are a few tooo many parts involved for a quick Diagnoses. Check like axy suggests, there could have been a brake line cut thru in the towing deal. If there is no fluid (which I suspect) I would start looking for a broken hose or fitting. There are valves/springs inside the fluid reservoir that are VERY susceptible to moisture as well. try a good going over, and I think you will see the problem. If not I'll try to help w/ a little more troubleshooting.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:20:49 PM »
I just posted, and saw yours. Remove the cap and give a steady squeeze on the lever. You should see fluid circulate in the reservoir. (don't squeeze tooo hard as you will wind up wearing some of it). I believe your scoot does not have a proportion valve so the next thing is to go thru the bleeding procedure. That should tell more. Back to the first step If the fluid does not move in the reservoir then the valve/spring may be rusted, or broken. It is no big deal to remove, and disassemble the reservoir to inspect it all, and if the fault is there it is much better to replace the assembly.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

shawgb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
Already...THANK YOU! This forum continues to blow me away...

So, I spoke with the owner of the dealership and he's agreed to tow it back to the shop at their expense. (It was towed BOTH ways originally at my expense...)

While I'm actually decently mechanically-able, I've gotten to where I'd much rather let someone else do it and write the check (just being transparent here...).

I guess I'm trying to be sure they're not gonna put the screws to me for replacing some parts unnecessarily. I dunno - it seems like I need to trust them to do the right thing - and after speaking to the owner, I'm inclined to do that (but also, I admit to being somewhat over-trusting/gullible...).

So now, I suppose, my real question is - what the hell could've happened - given that to ME, there was no issues with the brakes when the scoot was sent off to them? I'm having the most trouble reconciling the notation on my paperwork that "rear brake seems a bit soft...bled system but didn't help" with having scoot returned with a fully inoperable rear brake.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »
I think even Karnack would have a hard time figuring where it went south. I do think maybe it was something in the "tow" If you can watch the fella set it up to go back, chances are good he will do the exact same set up as previously. Maybe you can pick up on what happened there! I sure am curious!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
..what bothers me about this, is that they noted it on the paperwork...but didn't tell you??

..or ask you if you wanted to have them fix it?..

..smells fishy in denmark....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:47 AM »

..smells fishy in denmark....

You'll have to verify that with Scootergrisen!

shawgb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:56 PM »
You know - I completely agree with you, wordslinger - and thank you for helping to open mine eyes!

That DOESN'T make sense! ESPECIALLY if you saw my list of requested maintenance items to be addressed. I'm a believer of following maintenance to the LETTER - AND I included in my instructions "if you find anything else that needs attention - please contact me". Hello?!?!

As I've said, I spoke at length with the owner of the dealership. He was extremely kind, and at least acted as perplexed as I am about what could've happened. Well, maybe he IS as perplexed - but now I'm betting someone in his shop knows the truth...

Oh hell - I'm screwed anyway. There's no way one of his techs is gonna fess up to busting my scoot - and so I'll have no leg to stand on. Sucks - but this is the price I (hopefully only occasionally) pay for not doing any work myself.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
I don't like being on/in/near anything I haven't personally checked out. It's my BIG phobia. There is ALWAYS the guy in the shop that is hung over/fighting w/ his boyfriend, and daydreaming about shooting the neighbors parrot, that installs the bolt that was supposed to keep the wings on! GOOD ENOUGH JUST DON"T CUT IT! Let the owner know that you post on the Kymco Forum, and any result will be seen by hundreds/thousands of people. 3-4 of us just may live close enough to prevent the new Jacuzzi install is the back of the shop! It will work out.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »
man o man hearing about all the kymco dealers makes me wana go back to honda.
when I had my ruckus or even with my nst I never had any issues. Kymco needs
 to step it up a notch and fix there week spots.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 01:41:25 AM »
I really think it all comes down to "name brand". There are TONS of us (mega kilos for the foreigners) that have grown up w/ Honda/Yama/whatever, and think we are QUALIFIED to repair them at whatever local shop has a "help wanted"sign. Not too many people know of the Kymco brand; even tho they are/were the manuf of the Honda scoots. As I see it...Kymco "DEALERS" are hiring those that cannot work on Honda/Yama cycles because they do not/cannot go to school. I don't know of a Kymco school in the U.S.. I also do not know of a CERTIFIED HONDA mechanic that would go to work for a Kymco "Dealer". I think it all comes down to semantics. If you have a secondary brand that you are selling, and you can hire a fella for a few less dollars to work on them... Why Not! Thus the forum!!! I hope that coming here for help will be as satisfying for everyone as it has been for me! I wanted to put in a ~ but I'm not really sure what it is. ~~~~~~~~~~~ Kymco makes a respectable product, and you are right, They need to step up the SUPPORT!!!!!!!!! Don't tell that to anyone in Kymco U.S.. Deaf ears, and all~ is that where a squiggly belongs?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 08:14:04 AM »
Good to see you are learning about the squigglies there zombie. I don't know much about these scooters but from what I have seen, they are not poor quality but it is just a poor dealer network.
In time I think that will change. As for this forum it really is an amazing place, so much help from so many people, each persons problem also helps the next person.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »
Got that right I injoy geting all the info from everyone on here. I also agree kymco has darn good scoots
but poor dealers.I have just learned that the honda shop by me is now doing work on kymco bikes.that
was great to find out but I hope they can learn how to fix with no promlems. time well tell.I have learned a lot from you all on here and would like to say thanks to all. lets keep learning from each others.And help each other.  peace out have a great day   Rick  ( blue)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()