Author Topic: Rather urgent - Where is the spark plug hidden?  (Read 4714 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Rather urgent - Where is the spark plug hidden?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »
While you've got the spark plug out, this is a good time to check to see if it is indeed sparking. 

Insert the spark plug into the spark plug cap. 

Make sure kill switch is in "run" position.  And make sure all other cutoff switches are in run position -- side stand up switch?  Brake lever pulled in.

Key on.

Rest the spark plug (inserted in the cap) against some metal part of the engine or frame.  This will ground the plug.

Once all this is in place, hit the electric starter button and watch the spark plug for a spark at the electrode gap.  If it does not spark, just try holding it more firmly against some metal part of the engine to insure good grounding.   

If it sparks, your problem is elsewhere.  If not, further diagnosis is required. 

pretzelz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
If interested, here's the low down on my frustrating day...

First thanks Hoolander for all the information. Unfortunately right now I'm not in a position to be able to do those things as a) I simply don't have the time (am finishing assignments for the last year of a postgrad course) and b) this is my only form of transport at the moment and as such need to get it fixed asap, which unfortunately means taking it to a shop.     ...Had this happened any other time then I would have spent a while looking into all those other possibilities as I would like to become much more self reliant to fix things and troubleshoot them.

So, four and a half hours later and a cut finger, of trying to replace a spark plug, it's done. And unsuccessful.

I finally managed to get the old (15 month) spark plug out with the wrench socket. The end of it did look black. Not oily but definately black all round the tip of the thread.  ...off to Halfords I went, bought the nearest one that was recommended to me (called a NGK C7HSA when the one recommended for agility 125 is apparently an CR7HSA - the guy said the R stands for resistive and won't make any difference)

Got home, put the new one in, wasn't too sure about how to secure the rubber cap back into the whole and within a few seconds had broken the cable off that feeds into this rubber cap. (as you'll see in the attached pictures).

While I was there holding a lead with just wires sticking out of it and the new spark plug in it's socket, I thought I would hold them together and try starting the moped. No luck, not even a spark.

I tried reputting the cable back into the rubber cap and plugging this back into the spark plug socket. Still no luck. (It was a case of screwing the exposed cable into the cap to connect that back up again)

Now unfortunately I'll have to take it to a shop, as I presume it wasn't the spark plug at fault, even though the old one was black. That means I'll be cycling across town for the next few days as I even find a gap to take it to the dealer (or my local car mecanic, wonder if he will do it?)

The attached pictures show my old spark plug and the cable that I had accidently snapped out of the rubber plug socket.

Still interested in your insight to the situation... perhaps there was something I still did wrong with regards to the new spark plug?

Thanks.

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 08:26:07 PM »
Same happened to me few months ago.

Got really mad at Kymco....

But i just tapped on receiver magnet at stator coil and spray some WD40 and kymco started like new....
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 09:51:27 PM »
If interested, here's the low down on my frustrating day...

First thanks Hoolander for all the information. Unfortunately right now I'm not in a position to be able to do those things as a) I simply don't have the time (am finishing assignments for the last year of a postgrad course) and b) this is my only form of transport at the moment and as such need to get it fixed asap, which unfortunately means taking it to a shop.     ...Had this happened any other time then I would have spent a while looking into all those other possibilities as I would like to become much more self reliant to fix things and troubleshoot them.

So, four and a half hours later and a cut finger, of trying to replace a spark plug, it's done. And unsuccessful.

I finally managed to get the old (15 month) spark plug out with the wrench socket. The end of it did look black. Not oily but definately black all round the tip of the thread.  ...off to Halfords I went, bought the nearest one that was recommended to me (called a NGK C7HSA when the one recommended for agility 125 is apparently an CR7HSA - the guy said the R stands for resistive and won't make any difference)

Got home, put the new one in, wasn't too sure about how to secure the rubber cap back into the whole and within a few seconds had broken the cable off that feeds into this rubber cap. (as you'll see in the attached pictures).

While I was there holding a lead with just wires sticking out of it and the new spark plug in it's socket, I thought I would hold them together and try starting the moped. No luck, not even a spark.

I tried reputting the cable back into the rubber cap and plugging this back into the spark plug socket. Still no luck. (It was a case of screwing the exposed cable into the cap to connect that back up again)

Now unfortunately I'll have to take it to a shop, as I presume it wasn't the spark plug at fault, even though the old one was black. That means I'll be cycling across town for the next few days as I even find a gap to take it to the dealer (or my local car mecanic, wonder if he will do it?)

The attached pictures show my old spark plug and the cable that I had accidently snapped out of the rubber plug socket.

Still interested in your insight to the situation... perhaps there was something I still did wrong with regards to the new spark plug?

Thanks.

..that shoulda knocked you on your ass..........
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

pretzelz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
rather glad it didn't

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 01:19:31 AM »
The plug that came out looks like it has a nipple on the end where the one you replaced has a threaded end. Take the Nipp. off the Original plug, and put it on the new one. You are trying to jump  1/4" gap before a .30 gap thru a resistor plug
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
The plug that came out looks like it has a nipple on the end where the one you replaced has a threaded end. Take the Nipp. off the Original plug, and put it on the new one. You are trying to jump  1/4" gap before a .30 gap thru a resistor plug

..couldn't tell if that was a nipple or just glare....hmmm...

NicoDuval

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
Just wondering if this was ever resolved?  I am doing the same thing on my scoot right now, with similar results.  I'm trying to find the carb drain plug to make sure it is getting gas, but I am having trouble.  Anybody have an idea?  Do I have to take the carburetor off to get to it?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
...carb drain slotted screw should be on the lower left front corner of the carb...

..need a flat-tipped screwdriver, and it's pretty tight...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()