Author Topic: screw in back tire  (Read 3066 times)

ispud

• View Profile
screw in back tire
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »
took it out and plugged it.  Safe or no??  I think I am fine, but I read horror stories.  Don't want to replace tire every time I get a flat - costs way too much money, but I don't want to worry about it every mile I drive either.

:)>>

TechGuy

• View Profile
Re: screw in back tire
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:45:48 PM »
I have heard horror stories about everything in the world.  I am sure you will find every opinion about this subject. They will run the gamut from "Your Freaking loony" to "I patched mine 30,000km ago an it's fine".

If you are happy with your patch, ride on!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:33 PM »
I put a plug in the rear tyre of my ZX50 and it stayed until I replaced the tyre about a year later. If you are worried about it you could always take the tyre off and patch it from inside.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
When I pulled my first set of Chen Shin's off the scoot I found three plugs in the tire. It had a slow leak when I bought it, and I assume that one/all of them were the cause. I also went to tug on one to see how secure it was, and it literally fell out. I decided to not use plugs, but rather the Hot Melt patches that go inside the tire. I still carry a Plug kit just to get to where I am going, but prefer the hot patch. These tires are too thin to really grab onto a plug.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
so far so good - plug is holding fine - but I worry.  Waiting for Ollbull to tell in another thread where he got the smokin deal on his tires, I would like to get a spare pair and when I get a flat I can have a vulcanized patch put on and always have a tire so I won't have to ride plugged (except in emergency).  I don't think I can get behind the replace the tire every time camp - I don't travel at excessive speeds - 60 tops and rarely - think I would trust a patch inside the tire, more than a plug - now to find a place that will do it!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:29:27 PM »
..i have to think of a plug as a temporary repair....

"http://motorcyclesuperstore.com"
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
so far so good - plug is holding fine - but I worry.  Waiting for Ollbull to tell in another thread where he got the smokin deal on his tires, I would like to get a spare pair and when I get a flat I can have a vulcanized patch put on and always have a tire so I won't have to ride plugged (except in emergency).  I don't think I can get behind the replace the tire every time camp - I don't travel at excessive speeds - 60 tops and rarely - think I would trust a patch inside the tire, more than a plug - now to find a place that will do it!

www.denniskirk.com.... price  was raised by $11 on  the rear  tire..When  I bought  mine they  had 15 tires in  stock..Now  only  2 left..Avon  is  a  division  of  COOPER Tire  USA... It  was a  British  company  and is a  favorite  of  old  riders  ;-)).... There production  is  now  based in  Thailand...  If  your  into  MIchelins.....Try  MOTORACE.COM   Discontinued  "GOLDS"  are  on  sale  @$120  a  pair  shipping  inc...I  guess when  you  become  of DIRTY  oldman  age, shopping for  bargins  and smiling at  young  pretty  chics  becomes  a daily  activity..hehe
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »
2 of my favorites for sure!

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »
one is rated S and the other P - speed rating - 112mph and 93mph - I would prefer both the same???  Avon at Dennis Kirk $121.98 total - free freight.  front is S 112mph. rear 93mph.  both well over my driving speeds.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
had to give up on motorace - the site was not very cooperative!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »
I bought my last tire from BikeBandit.  I think the rear is a 140/70-16 and they have the Shinko I have for $50.98.  I like the tire.

http://tinyurl.com/2aae6zk

Front: $34.82

http://tinyurl.com/293w4yt

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
"I bought my last tire from BikeBandit."  Great shop, Good prices, Excellent shipping time! I recommend them too.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
just received my Slime compressor yesterday - clamped to battery it seemed to work fine - didn't actually blow up a tire - so I am ready to fix punctures on the road -it would be ok with me if I never get to use it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()