Author Topic: P250 Headset  (Read 6168 times)

TechGuy

• View Profile
P250 Headset
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:23 PM »
Has anyone dug into their bike and played with the headset?

I think I may have a loose headset.  I was putting the new tire on the bike and when I grabbed the shock towers, the whole assembly moves... or it felt that way.

Does it require any special tools?  Are they standardized across the brands?  Can this be done with the handlebars still attached?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: P250 Headset
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:54:32 PM »
Mine has come loose twice. I used a large (10") crescent wrench, and a small (8") pipe wrench. It is the same set up as any bicycle. I would pull the nuts off to inspect the bearings/cups for wear, and use a good molly grease to lube it. Ps The bars can stay on.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:29:14 AM »
I replaced all the bearings on my Vento.  Zombie is correct, they are the same as a bicycle headset.  You can probably get it tightened back up with a large crescent wrench.  I think on my Vento I used a 40mm flat wrench specifically designed for adjusting headsets.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:00:14 AM »
So it's an involved, simple job.  take the covers off, check the bearings, lube and tighten.  Did you replace the bearings?  Are they standard bearings? Meaning... can you get them anywhere?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:10:47 AM »
Stadium Yamaha. These have bigger balls
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:20:13 AM »
I am thinking I should get the bearings up front and replace them if I am going to dig that deep.  I just learned how simple the front end is to disassemble when I had the front tire changed.  I removed the front wheel in about 10 minutes and saw that the rest of the front end comes off pretty easy.  I think I need to replace my brake disk too and I know the front pads are shot.  I think I may drop the wheel from now on to change out the brake pads...

Looks like they are cheap... I just wonder how long they will take to get in-stock.  I assume these are not commonly stocked items.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:37:14 AM »
I'm not certain what size balls your scoot uses.  I ended up using standard size I think 7/32" balls in my Vento.  The stock size was 5mm which are not easy to come by.  I work in a bicycle shop so the 7/32" are common place for bikes.  I think I ended up using one or two extra to fill in the gap.  They were close enough to not make a noticeable difference.  Unless you have ridden with the headset loose for some time, the balls are most likely just fine.  Just be careful not to loose any when you drop the fork out.  The balls are not in a retainer so they will all fall out!  I would just clean them and the cups and repack with fresh grease.  As for the brake pads, they may be a commonly stocked item, check with Stadium Yamaha.  Otherwise, Malossi may make some aftermarket replacements as well,  I know they do for my ZX50.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
...DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR BRAKE PADS!!!...

..buy the good'ns...

..unless you want them to squeak all the time...irritating...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
...DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR BRAKE PADS!!!...

..buy the good'ns...

..unless you want them to squeak all the time...irritating...

Which ones are the good'ns?  I got EBC last time.  They are easy to find.  They are the sames as one of the Ninja 250s.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:43 AM »
..well, I don't know...but I took the ones off this old Marshin i bought, put them on my A50, and they squeak when not applying the brake...

..very annoying....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:23:07 AM »
I'm not certain what size balls your scoot uses.  I ended up using standard size I think 7/32" balls in my Vento.  The stock size was 5mm which are not easy to come by.  I work in a bicycle shop so the 7/32" are common place for bikes.  I think I ended up using one or two extra to fill in the gap.  They were close enough to not make a noticeable difference.  Unless you have ridden with the headset loose for some time, the balls are most likely just fine.  Just be careful not to loose any when you drop the fork out.  The balls are not in a retainer so they will all fall out!  I would just clean them and the cups and repack with fresh grease.  As for the brake pads, they may be a commonly stocked item, check with Stadium Yamaha.  Otherwise, Malossi may make some aftermarket replacements as well,  I know they do for my ZX50.

..dude, i checked out some of your "How Tos" on the internets...

..You're big time!!..i'm impressed!!!

peace

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 02:19:25 AM »
Lol!  Thanks!  I was approached by Expert Village to make some How-to videos about 2 years ago.  Most of them turned out pretty well, especially for being put on the spot!  There was no prep time or anything, just here's the topic and go!  It was an interesting experience so say the least!  I'm not sure I'd do it again, as it took 2 days for all the filming when it was only supposed to take 4 hrs and crappy pay!  I am glad I did it just for the novelty of saying, "look me up on YouTube" though! ;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 02:21:55 AM »
???...you did all them in 2 days...???

..HOLY FRIKIN COW!!!...

..they've been viewed like...tens of thousands of times...

..there's links to them all over th' place!!!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
Really?!  I haven't checked on those in a long time.  I think I ended up doing about 50 of 'em.  I guess I'm a celebrity and didn't even know it! 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 02:29:09 AM »
..i ran up on one by accident...recognized your name..then i googled your ass...lol...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()