Author Topic: Rear Wheel Rotating at Idle  (Read 11012 times)

Lammy1000

• View Profile
Rear Wheel Rotating at Idle
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
My wife is loving this scooter and I love taking it out for a spin.  Anyway, when I start it while on the center stand the rear wheel rotates and it tries to move forward while stopped and idling.  This goes away after riding a very short riding distance.  Scoot has only 200 miles on it, so it is likely breaking in?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Wheel Rotating at Idle
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:48:09 PM »
Almost all of these scoots will do the same thing on the center stand. It is really just a sympathetic response. The slightest pressure on the tire, or brake should stop it. If it really tries to take off on you the idle speed may be just a bit too high.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:34:28 AM »
This behavior is entirely normal. On a modern scoot w/CVT, there is something called the auto-enrichener, which acts like an automatic choke. This is engaged until the engine gets up to operating temperature. When the idle is properly set, the auto-enrichener will run the engine RPM up high enough to cause the CVT's clutch to engage, thus turning the real wheel. Again, if the idle is properly set, and the CVT is in proper condition, when the auto-enrichener cuts out, the idle will fall to normal, and the rear tire will stop turning.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
I have a different opinion: It shouldn't be.
And no one of my scoots does it.
What does your rev counter show?

For example:
X500 (carb.) idle speed: 1400rpm cold, 1600 warm.
Clutch between 2000-2500rpm.

The very same with the MP3 i.e.
There is a range between save idling and clutch engaging.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:15:52 PM by ts1 »

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
PERFECTLY NORMAL

When the scoot is cold, the auto-choke is keeping the revs up in the engine, since the engine revs are up, the belt is moving fast enough to make the clutch, that is attached to the rear of the bike, engage and make the wheel spin. When the bike warms, the auto-choke will let off , the revs will go down, the clutch will release and the wheel will stop free wheeling.

Before I go for a ride, I start my scoot on the center stand as one of the first things I do.  Then I gear with the jacket, helmet, gloves... When the revs drop and wheel stops spinning, I am ready to go.  Some debate the need to warm the bike to get the oils and such moving.  I don't worry about that, I know that my bike will run smoother, accelerate better, not stall at lights, and not want to creep out from under me while waiting for the green light.

So.. I warm my bike every ride.  It takes about the same time as gearing up, 2-3 minutes at most.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »
While warming up and on the center stand my rear spins lightly as well, but the clutch is not "engaged".  It is just ever so slightly "brushing" the clutch bell, there is no force behind the spin.  I think it is perfectly normal for that to happen as previously stated, the auto-choke raises the rpm a little.  Once the choke turns off there is no more spinning.  If there is any force behind the spin then your idle is set too high.  The scoot should not feel like it wants to lurch forward while idling even with the auto-choke on.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:04:43 AM »
YEP, MY SUPER 9 LC DO THE SAME-----WHEEL SPIN WHEN WARMING UP----( NORMAL ACTION )
ALL STOCK

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:51:52 AM »
called about this same issue to a service tech in my area. Said to check your idle and, its a long shot but, your clutch springs could be bad/old and not releasing properly. I doubt that this is your issue. I am due to change out my (likely stock) springs, I'll be changing the all the springs. Thinking 1000 (white) torgue spring with yellow clutch springs.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 02:59:48 AM »
..well, it's not so abnormal for the rear wheel to drift a bit...

..mine does it from time to time...

..as long as it's not's trying to launch your scoot off the stand, you're probably okay...

..if it is, then just adjust the idle screw counter-clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 a turn....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 05:11:50 AM »
called about this same issue to a service tech in my area. Said to check your idle and, its a long shot but, your clutch springs could be bad/old and not releasing properly. I doubt that this is your issue. I am due to change out my (likely stock) springs, I'll be changing the all the springs. Thinking 1000 (white) torgue spring with yellow clutch springs.
Changing the springs once a year is ALWAYS a good idea. They do get weaker from the heat.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()