Author Topic: Will buy different CDI, changing boss etc required ?  (Read 3957 times)

Grace

• View Profile
Will buy different CDI, changing boss etc required ?
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:20:08 PM »
Currently my Kymco Agility 50 City 16 inch is restricted to 15 miles and hour.
I have barely used it since I bought it because it's just no fun (or useful) to be on the road with it at this speed.
I ended up using my bike mostly, simply because I'm travelling almost as fast and the engine makes a lot of noise even at this "maximum" speed probably because the CDI is restricting the engine.

So I am considering to buy a new CDI.

Basically I am considering these two options:
http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/010137KY23/0-156-516-1139-1411-2374/Cdi-Kit-Snel-Kymco-Like,-Agility-16-Inch,-Agility-Rs.html
This kit includes a CDI which is probably (?) completely unrestricted. It includes a variator and something else what I believe to be a "sparkleplug" (not sure) in English.

I don't think I am capable of changing the variator and sparkleplug so I was wondering it is required in my case ?

I also consider this more expensive CDI:
http://www.fredmotoren.nl/shopfm/kymco-kymco-agility-vitality-45km-4takt-p-217.html

I believe it to be the right CDI, but once again, are a new variator and sparkleplug required here ?

I am not eager to contact my dealer about this because it's not exactly legal to run faster than 15 miles and hour without some license.
On the other hand, it's pretty sad to have spent that much money on a scooter without using it ;)

Anyway, ideally i'd just change the CDI and be done with it, but I guess that's not possible ?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Will buy different CDI, changing boss etc required ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
Those are 2 different cdi's. Can you post a pict. of the cdi you have w/ the wires showing? If not can you post back w/ the colors/stripe colors of the wires going to yours. You may be able to re-wire the cdi to by-pass the restriction. The variator "boss" is also required to get you up to the 45mph the scoot can do. It won't hurt to ask your dealer about de-restricting it for you as they are not traffic cops, just there to sell scooters. We can help you here if the dealer can't/won't. The spark plug remains the same.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrmoose35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
why buy a new cdi,,all you need to do is to cut the loop cable fråm the cdi,,violet/black ithnk it was on mine,,
then ,put in new intake (orginal)139q,,then mount main jet 86,,change the variator bush..change rear spring to one 30% stronger,,now it will go 63-65kh..or  bay a 80cc kit..

Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies. We're not talking about 45mph, but 45kmh which is probably a little more than 30mph which would be acceptable for me. The scoot comes in two restricted versions here: 45kmh and 25kmh (which is the one have). Could it be that both of these scooters have the same restricted variator regardless of the restriction speed ? In that case I wouldn't need the variator.

Expect pictures of my CDI later this day. :)

Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »
I wasn't able to focus properly on the CDI so here is the wiring I drew in paint. ;)
All but one wire seem to have a main colour (sides) and a secondary color (center)
Note that there's a single contactpoint which hasn't got a wire attached to it.
There's also a sticker on it which says July 2008.

mrmoose35

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
open up the tejp aorund the kabels,an cut the red one,,it gose up a bit makes loop back,cut in the loob,and it will be diresticted.

Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »
Open up the tejp, not sure what you mean by that. Basically you're saying that I can cut the purple with red center wire as it makes a loop right ?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
By tejp, I believe mrmoose is reffering to the Harness. The wire is a loop, and is the restriction. Simply cut either of the purple w/ red striped wires, and you will be DE-restricted. Make sure to tape up the loose ends. The variator bushing can be replaced at any time down the road, and will add approx 5mph to the top end speed. Post back and let us know how you like it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
That makes sense. Anyway, I believe I read something on this forum about isolating the pins instead of cutting them a long time ago on this forum. One could isolate the pins by covering them up with a small piece plastic designed for a specific pintype. Possibly wishful thinking (not sure if i really read that lol), but I would consider buying that (if it exist) in order to have better chances of keeping my waranty.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
..you can purchase a pin/socket extractor at most electronics dealers....

..it's just a little tube with a handle/pusher inside...

there's different sizes of them....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:10:17 PM »
http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm   This page has some photos that may help. The tool to remove the pinn from the socket is basicly just a straw that compresses the "flares" on the base of the pinn. Good Idea!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:47:33 AM »
..gleaned from an OLD post in this board...modified..

Basic instructions for replacing the boss drive: 1-Remove bolts(8mm socket) from clutch cover  2-Remove hex nut (17mm socket) from crannkshaft 3-Remove outer half of drive pulley(drive pulley face)  4-Remove drive belt from shaft  5-With left your hand, hold inner half of pulley(movable drive face),and with your right hand remove the boss face drive(variator spacer). Be sure that you hold the inner pulley half securely to insure that the roller weights remain in their proper position (they could fall out)  6-Insert new spacer  7-Install belt  8-Install Pulley half and hex nut..(add a bit of blue Lock-Tite)  9-Install cover...

..enjoy the increase in performance!!!

..easy as pie!!...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:58:16 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where i can order an unrestricted variator bushing for my agility 50cc that will ship to US? 

Dark13

• View Profile
proud owner of a 2009 kymco agility 50

shubonker

• View Profile
    • a motorcycle blog
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
Hey dark, thanks for the reply, but i looked through that site and they don't sell just the variator boss.  Are there any other places to get it?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()