Author Topic: Anyone have an aftermarket windscreen  (Read 5473 times)

ohiotj

• View Profile
Anyone have an aftermarket windscreen
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:57:04 PM »
I'm thinking about switching to another windsheild on the bike to cut down on buffeting and wind noise.  Has anyone here bought one yet?  If so, what did you get, and how did you like it?

2009 Kymco People S200 - the nice weather commuter.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have an aftermarket windscreen
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:16:52 AM »
Search the older posts, as i believe there is one on the forum. Just use the key word feature
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ohiotj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:00:44 PM »
I had done a search, and there were a few discussions about someone buying one for people s model bikes, but no actual reports on how well made, how they worked, etc.

So far, I've found the Cuppini windscreen for about $110, and some generic one for $60.  Leaning towards spending the money on the Cuppini, but hoped to see if anyone had experience with them or not yet.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:25:00 AM »
Cool beans ohiotj, The more you stick around the more you will find.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ohiotj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:41:09 PM »
When (if) I pick one up, I'll try to post a short review.  I'm working on another solution to a helmet noise problem right now, if it doesn't work, its prety likely I'll be getting a windshield soon.

Mr B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »
ohiotj,
I have a 2007 People S200, and I bought a taller windshield for it a couple years ago. It is a GIVI that I bought from Columbia Scooters in Portland Oregon 503-872-8565 for $160.00. It's the tallest available at 21.5 inches high. There are a few other sizes from:    http://www.kymcoaccessories.com/windshields.htm   ranging from $60.00 - $160.00. A couple of things I found out after I installed mine; 1) with the tallest $160.00 Givi it cuts down all of the frontal wind when you are riding, (great for cold weather) but it also knocked about 5 mph off the top speed. Mine tops out at 60mph wide open now. 2) I had to make two homemade brackets to relocate the turn signals because of the larger hand shields. 3) The larger the windshield, the more of a "station wagon effect" you'll get sucking the exhaust fumes back at you. I had to put an 8" long 90 degree extension on my pipe and turn it out away from the bike, and I still get smelly exhaust when I slow down to stop. 4) I also had to buy a special "tall" cover with a zip-out windshield extension to fit it.
Dan B
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:12:20 PM by Mr B »

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 01:51:45 AM »
I have the Cuppini which is quite large and has handguards. No mods are needed, just remove the bug screen, install the braces on the mirror mounts and screw it into place. It is good for the winter.

I took it off for the summer and put the bug screen back on. The only issue I have is that I use the Polar-Optics polarized face shield addition, and the KYMCO bug screen lights up like a rainbow when riding into the sun and viewing thru a polarized shield.

So I applied window tint film to it, problem solved, and it kills some of the glare off the light colored dashboard as well (why on Earth did they put a grey/chrome outline on the dash?)?

I may buy the large bug screen type that Columbia sells for $60.00 and cut it down. In original trim you would have to look thru it, which defeats the purpose in hot weather.
But if you cut it to the proper height it will end your helmet noise problem while still looking over it.

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
I ordered the $60 one from Columbia for my People S 250.
http://www.kymcoaccessories.com/swind.htm

It is made by Puig and it's called a Puig Street Screen.  The service from Columbia was great, but the screen was disappointing.  Installation took me about 2.5 hours (though a mechanically adept person could probably do it in an hour).  It uses the original mounting equipment, but you have to cut off some tabs and sand down parts of the new windscreen, since it's primarily designed for the smaller People scooters.

I found that the windscreen actually increased noise, because it focused the wind right at about ear level, whereas the stock screen let it dissipate around chest level.  With the new one, if I slumped over or rode with poor posture, I did get reduced wind noise, but that leads to lower back soreness.  I'm 5'11" and I think if I were 4 inches shorter then the Puig windscreen would be good.  Another problem is the screen rattles around slightly and makes a squeking noise, which is hardly noticeable at first but gets really annoying after a while.  I decided to switch back to the stock one.  I can't really return it since I've already sanded it down, so I'm stuck with a $60 hunk of plastic.  If anyone wants it, I'd be glad to give it away, just pay for postage.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:10:05 PM by spooker »

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 10:03:23 PM »
I would take it but I think the stuff you sanded off probably is needed to fit my S200

What I suggest is you cut it down. Search the net, there are plenty of instructions. All you need is a jigsaw, painters tape and sand paper. If you get it to the right height all your problems will go away,

realestateguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 01:59:41 AM »
I just installed a Cuppinni a few weeks ago.  i agree with Mr.B, it takes about 5 mph off the top and and it seems a little slower on the pickup, but so worth it.  I got the tall screen and I have no wind noise around my head and I am comfortable down to about 45 degrees.  I stood up on my scoot today to see what it would have sounded like if I got a medium hight like I thought I wanted and it was aweful!  Screaming loud.  I spent about $110, but can't remember for sure and it was worth every penny.  I will probably take it off in the spring again.  I am so not handy with tools and it took me only about 30 minutes to put it on, not bad considering that it only had directions in Italian.  I would say get one!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()