Author Topic: oil catch can?  (Read 7543 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: oil catch can?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 01:14:51 AM »
...does easus need to be installed, and have it's back-up image, before it can recover from a format...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »
No. It uses that forensics stuff. It reads empty space first, and then reads data that is under data. As long as you never used a data eraser it will find stuff you forgot you ever had. I use a usb drive to recover to as it will bring up more stuff than my hard drive can store.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 03:30:41 AM »
yep, slinger, he's right. When you reformat you dont actually ERASE anything. You write a brand new (but empty) top level directory on the disk and the control data - which provided you are using the same filesystem type (ie reformatting ntfs as ntfs, or FAT as FAT, not switching) always goes in the same space it did before so isnt going to touch your data. The recovery programs simply refuse to believe the directory saying "this space is empty" and go to look. There is, however, no guarantee that the new OS you install on your reformatted disk will be in the same areas of the disk it was in before the reformat - so you wont get everything back, just most of it. Any file where any part of it has been overwritten by the reinstall of the OS will not be recoverable. Just dont even BOTHER trying to recover progs, save the data and docs then reinstall the progs - it makes sure they actually have a consistent set of libraries and config data registered with the OS. After that pull your data and docs back in from wherever you saved them.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
...sweet, imma try it out then...there were some pics i really hated losing...

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »
...sweet, imma try it out then...there were some pics i really hated losing...

Just remember the more the machine has been used since the reformat, the less you'll get back... more specifically the more stuff you've saved the more of what was there before is overwritten with new stuff and gone. Thats why Zombie always installs the recovery software FIRST after doing a reformat/rebuild. Running it then is when you get the most stuff back. You can get lucky and pull something back months after a rebuild but your chances get real slim real fast. (yeah, I been geeking for a living the last 20+ years.. I've seen most of the ways these things can break)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
...thanx scootc...imma fire it back up and see what i can recover...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 01:02:47 AM »
Just remember the more the machine has been used since the reformat, the less you'll get back... more specifically the more stuff you've saved the more of what was there before is overwritten with new stuff and gone. Thats why Zombie always installs the recovery software FIRST after doing a reformat/rebuild. Running it then is when you get the most stuff back. You can get lucky and pull something back months after a rebuild but your chances get real slim real fast. (yeah, I been geeking for a living the last 20+ years.. I've seen most of the ways these things can break)
I'm IT!!!~
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 01:06:16 AM »
..lmao...i break sh** too...

...gotta stay outta those newsgroups and stuff, i reckon....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:02 AM »
?????

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()