Author Topic: My moped stinks of petrol! What should I do?  (Read 980 times)

pretzelz

• View Profile
My moped stinks of petrol! What should I do?
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
Dear all, my kymco is now 7 years old. And since last last summer, it seems to stink of petrol. Literally walking within a few meters of it, the air smells strongly.

Whilst there seems to be no leak on the ground, I cleaned with a scrubbing sponge what looked like congealed petrol vapour from the area around the back near where you lift the seat up. I think that helped, but its coming back. But most recently, I'm seeing what looks like (petrol?) seeping out - as indicated by the yellow line in the attached picture.

I know that I have over filled the tank slightly, on many occasions over the last 7 years of ownership. I always try and put as much petrol in as possible, to cover the daily trips I make. But when I looked more closely tonight at the petrol station, it seems there's a protective area around the petrol entrance like a drip tray, when perhaps petrol might settle. Otherwise i was thinking maybe this occasional overspill of petrol may have gathered and pooled inside the moped (under the tank?) and just got really smelly and too much of it, over the 7 years. I even thought about perhaps making a small hole somewhere, if appropriate, to drain any out. But perhaps the garage should take care of this?

It looked pretty black and gunky in the whole area above the rear wheel (no mud guard) so maybe petrol has gradually been settling and mixing over things here too?

What should I do?

Many thanks!

Jim Moore

• View Profile
Re: My moped stinks of petrol! What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »
On my bike I need to leave about a 1/2 inch air gap in the tank when I fill up. If I fill it up more than that it will stink of gas until I burn off some fuel.

pretzelz

• View Profile
Re: My moped stinks of petrol! What should I do?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »
Thanks, I'll try putting less in and see what happens

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()