Author Topic: Fuel Mileage and Top Speed  (Read 8721 times)

skipper20

• View Profile
Fuel Mileage and Top Speed
« on: March 18, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »
My 2013 Like 200i with 4,635 miles is averaging 60 mpg and its GPS verified top speed is 58.5 mph. I'm 5'10" tall, weigh 185lbs with riding gear and the scooter has a medium height SlipStreamer windscreen installed. When the fuel gauge needle is just about to hit the peg before "E", I'm fiilling the tank to just below the horizontal tube in the filler neck but the most I can squeeze in is 1.13 gals. so my range is only about 68 miles. Are all of these numbers normal for a like 200i with 4,635 miles? It starts and runs fine and has no mechanical issues that I'm aware of. Last night I pulled the air filter and it showed some dirt but it wasn't clogged, i.e. I could see the light from my flashlight behind it.

If I replace the air filter will I see any noticeable improvement? Are there any other things I could do to improve fuel mileage? I can probably live with a top speed of 58.5 mpg but if any of you are doing noticeably better and your bike is bone stock like mine, I'd like to know about it. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Mileage and Top Speed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »
About 10,400 on my 2012 LIKE200iLX, no screen, bigger top box, a few pounds in OEM crash bars,  250lb rider who never rides full throttle.

Running Dr Pulley sliders and an NGK Iridium plug with stock CVT parts. Michelin City Grip tires. (26 & 32 psi F/R)

Do not know how any of this affects fuel mileage. My valves are adjusted and the air filter is clean. AMSOIL in the engine and Honda Pro gear oil in the rear. When I was still filling at the gas pumps I was getting @71 mpg. Now that I avoid filling stations for home refueling I have no idea my MPG's.

If you run the engine hard your  60 mpg sounds about right. This is not the most advanced engine set up, even with the EFI, but it is pretty darn reliable. Keep an eye on the oil and change a good brand of oil often - it is the life-blood of this little aircooled engine! Cheap too, at less than a Qt per change. If the LIKE was water cooled KYMCO could likely have improved the fuel economy - but the aircooled simplicity was a selling point for me.

Per the owner's manual you should have your scoot's 2nd airfilter in there at 4,200 miles. Necessary ? Who knows - but KYMCO advises.
Some say to increase the psi in the tires for better MPG's - but this just shakes the crap out of the scooter and the rider IMHO.

Pictures?
Ride safe, Stig
PS: your GPS top speed sounds spot on to me.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:52:36 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 05:05:37 AM »
12,600 miles on my 2012 Like 200i. I average 80 mpg. I fill the tank with premium grade gasoline when I've gone 105 to 120 miles. My guess is I could go 140 to 150 miles before running out of fuel. I would guess my average riding speed to be 40 to 45 mph. My indicated top speed on a long stretch of level road had been as high as 63 mph. Lately with new tires, belt and rollers top indicated speed has dropped to just under 60 mph. This might have something to do with the new belt being nonOEM. The belt I have on it now is a Malossi. I find the air filter oddly to be nearly prestine each time I check it at oil change. Even with that I change out the filter once a year. My scooter is completely stock except the belt and tires. Belt as indicated is Malossi and tires are Michelin City Gripes. The original tires were replaced about 500 miles ago. Not the best tires for wet pavement, but a long lasting tire.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:17:51 AM by TroutBum »

skipper20

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:04:12 PM »
12,600 miles on my 2012 Like 200i. I average 80 mpg. I fill the tank with premium grade gasoline when I've gone 105 to 120 miles. My guess is I could go 140 to 150 miles before running out of fuel. I would guess my average riding speed to be 40 to 45 mph. My indicated top speed on a long stretch of level road had been as high as 63 mph. Lately with new tires, belt and rollers top indicated speed has dropped to just under 60 mph. This might have something to do with the new belt being nonOEM. The belt I have on it now is a Malossi. I find the air filter oddly to be nearly prestine each time I check it at oil change. Even with that I change out the filter once a year. My scooter is completely stock except the belt and tires. Belt as indicated is Malossi and tires are Michelin City Gripes. The original tires were replaced about 500 miles ago. Not the best tires for wet pavement, but a long lasting tire.

Thanks for your reply. Your experience is significantly better than mine yet your bike has almost 3 times the mileage of mine. Your 80 mpg vs. my 60 mpg is to be envied as well as your range of 140 miles which is double my puny 68 miles. I don't do hot dog starts and I rarely ever ride WOT. The bike starts, idles and runs fine. Its air filter showed some dirt but its paper element was still clear.

So, what is it that I'm doing wrong and you're doing right?

'13 Kymco Like 200i red (AZ scoot)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
Country road cruising vs your city riding?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

skipper20

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:15:33 PM »
Country road cruising vs your city riding?
Stig

Since I'm out in the NW Tucson/Oro Valley area it's about 90% country road cruising where I'm usually doing a steady 45 - 50 mph. BTW, I sure would like to hear from any others out there about their mpg and range experience. TIA,

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 02:24:57 AM »
I forgot to mention that I add a splash of Seafoam in the tank ever other fill to add a bit more injector cleaner to the mix. Not sure if that really helps, but I do notice a little smoother idling when using it.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Fuel Mileage and Top Speed
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 07:30:15 AM »
I get between 55 and 63 on my 2099 Xciting 250 depending on whether I drive 50-60 mph vs mostly 65+.  My GPS verified top speed on flat ground is 86mph. I use mid grade gas most of the times. And I weigh 170#. I have 23g (vs 20.5g stock) dr pulley sliders to reduce cruising Rpm's slightly. Otherwise its stock. So 60 on a Like 200cc which is a much lighter scooter seems a little low to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:35:35 AM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

skipper20

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 12:10:25 AM »
I get between 55 and 63 on my 2099 Xciting 250 depending on whether I drive 50-60 mph vs mostly 65+.  My GPS verified top speed on flat ground is 86mph. I use mid grade gas most of the times. And I weigh 170#. I have 23g (vs 20.5g stock) dr pulley sliders to reduce cruising Rpm's slightly. Otherwise its stock. So 60 on a Like 200cc which is a much lighter scooter seems a little low to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

60mpg is low especially for a 245 lb., 163cc EFI scooter in top tune with a 175 lb. rider (185 with riding gear). And a 68 mile range is just plain ridiculous. I'm beginning to think that the rest of you who haven't responded are getting the same numbers but you just don't want to admit it. Right?

'13 Kymco Like 200i Red

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
Skipper20 I just retread your post. I fill my tank just above the horizontal bar at the base of the filler neck. If I fill a bit higher up the neck I find a little sideway shake of the scooter releases what seems to be trapped air and the fuel level drops just above the horizontal bar. With your added fuel topping off at 1.13 gal means you have nearly 0.5 gal in the tank when you started.

skipper20

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »
Skipper20 I just retread your post. I fill my tank just above the horizontal bar at the base of the filler neck. If I fill a bit higher up the neck I find a little sideway shake of the scooter releases what seems to be trapped air and the fuel level drops just above the horizontal bar. With your added fuel topping off at 1.13 gal means you have nearly 0.5 gal in the tank when you started.

Thanks TroutBum. Sounds like good advice. I'll give it a try. Best!

Bill

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »
 If I am riding the streets at 35 to 45 mph, I average 80 to 85 mpg. If I am at WOT, I get around 60 - 65 mpg.
Average between both ranges is around 75 to 80 mpg.
I once filled up and went for a long ride. I rode PCH south, then turned around into the wind going full throttle. I filled up before the trip, and ran out of gas at 99 miles. I pushed the bike to the gas station a half a mile away. I filled it to the horizontal bar and total fuel added was 1.2 gallons. I don't know where the other .4 gallons is, but clearly not usable. Maybe they are including the top area of the tank in the capacity calculation.
 Even at that speed on the day, mileage was good.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Groversmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 04:10:25 PM »
Ive been trying to figure out my mpg for a while. I had factored about 70mpg, but I didnt account for the extra quarter of a tank capacity, so something in the 60-70 range seems more likely. I ride in a mountainous area, but on country highway so at a steady 45-50mph with stretches where im able to open up to just under 60. Long story short, Im nowhere near the advertised 84mpg.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
If I am riding the streets at 35 to 45 mph, I average 80 to 85 mpg. If I am at WOT, I get around 60 - 65 mpg.
Average between both ranges is around 75 to 80 mpg.
I once filled up and went for a long ride. I rode PCH south, then turned around into the wind going full throttle. I filled up before the trip, and ran out of gas at 99 miles. I pushed the bike to the gas station a half a mile away. I filled it to the horizontal bar and total fuel added was 1.2 gallons. I don't know where the other .4 gallons is, but clearly not usable. Maybe they are including the top area of the tank in the capacity calculation.
 Even at that speed on the day, mileage was good.
Can think of few places better to run out of gas than on the PCH.!
Hitch hiked that road 3 X from LA to 'Frisco when I was a teenager.
Sometimes I didn't even bother to stick my thumb out - the area was so spectacular.
Stig

As for MPG's on my LIKE200i - think what I saw most often was @72.
And, yes, that needle seems to go down pretty quickly. When it gets anywhere near the last 1/3 to 1/4 tank I'm filling it again. Often I'm a long ways from a gas station.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:19:01 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »
My last fill-up was after riding 125 miles. It took 1.565 gallons to fill.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()