Author Topic: Any concerns about Chinese made kymco vs Taiwanese?  (Read 3340 times)

k50

• View Profile
Any concerns about Chinese made kymco vs Taiwanese?
« on: March 21, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2013 Sumer 8 leftover brand new for 1450 + 300 tax / tags / etc.  so 1750 out the door.  But this model is made in China.  Any concerns?  Should I look for one made in Taiwan?  Kymco has a great name but I have heard that even their scooters suffer from quality issues when manufactured in China.  Not the same quality as the Taiwan made scooters.  The $1450 is a good price for this scooter and is the older version, not based on the agility platform.  Just not sure about the quality.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Any concerns about Chinese made kymco vs Taiwanese?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 08:47:46 PM »
Posting multiple threads on the same topic should be discouraged!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:40:37 PM »
I have a 2012 Chinese made KYMCO LIKE200i purchased new in 2013.
It runs fine, and I've found no issues where the build quality might have been better if made in Taiwan.
We have no idea how much KYMCO is looking on as these scoots are assembled in China.

However, the scooter is warrantied by KYMCO for 2 years - no other Asian 2-wheeled anything carries more than a one year warranty. (that I am aware of)

Will you be running that scooter more than two years? Keep it stock, document & follow the maintenance schedule....and run the heck out of it.

2 wheel Hondas are made in Thailand, Vietnam, Italy, & I think India. And some in Japan. Honda cars are assembled in Ohio - and they're still OK !!
Stick with a trusted brand - and maybe don't be too worried about the assembly point....especially if it comes with a killer warranty.

Just my opinion.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:59:54 PM »
Like Stig said. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:00:27 AM »
Genuine scooters are made in Taiwan and carry a two year unlimited warranty with roadside assistance.      I had a 2012 Kymco like that I was done with by the time it hit 3,000 miles.  Pieces rattled off, oil was leaking from the seam of the engine case, and we all know about the ergonomics.  Replaced it with a Buddy 125 and was pleased as punch.  Might give Genuine a look.   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:27:06 PM by wallboard »
Less chit chat, more riding.

k50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »
What are you trying to say?  Genuine is a good brand or not?  Your 2012 was no good, but then you bought another??

k50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
Oh, never make bad indidnt read it correctly.   You had a "kymco like" that rattled apart

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »
Sorry for the sloppy wording.  In my mind, I knew exactly what I was talking about  ;D.     To recap:  Thought the Kymco Like was Chinese Garbage,  Believe the Genuine Buddy is on par w/ Japanese built Hondas. 
Less chit chat, more riding.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 05:50:20 AM »
I have a 2012 Like 200i assembled in China. To date I have 12,000 + miles. A couple of the bolts rattled loose in the first couple of thousand mlles, but that was owner error for not checking fasteners. This is an issue that can happen to any make and model of PTW. Only other issues were taken care of under warranty. A seal behind the variator and defective batteries. The scooter runs great. From what I've found on the Internet, Kymco assembled scooters in China have strict oversight by HQ.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
I have a 2012 Like 200i assembled in China. To date I have 12,000 + miles. A couple of the bolts rattled loose in the first couple of thousand mlles, but that was owner error for not checking fasteners. This is an issue that can happen to any make and model of PTW. Only other issues were taken care of under warranty. A seal behind the variator and defective batteries. The scooter runs great. From what I've found on the Internet, Kymco assembled scooters in China have strict oversight by HQ.

true statement. a scoot is as good as you take care of it.   Its like a women if you want her around for a while take care of her .if ya want your scoot around take care of it. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()