Author Topic: Strange noise on a de-restricted '07 people 50 2t  (Read 9395 times)

blufx

• View Profile
Re: Strange noise on a de-restricted '07 people 50 2t
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 06:11:50 AM »
I was freaking over incorrect readings. Look at pic 1. It shows probing plug terminals and ground, but instructs checking between plug terminals. Regardless of what the book says I don't have a green wire there. It's blue with yellow trace. Pic 2. Karl, can you tell me what number to select on the meter? Pic 3
Looking back, when I said I wanted to be somebody, I should have been a lot more specific.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 03:36:44 PM »
Pics 1 and 2 missing. Pic 3 show good setting for testing switch action. That 200 ohm scale will show how GOOD the contact is: it should show that "1" when switch open or not activated and should show .1 to .3 ohms when switch closed. However, while on that scale, short the two meter leads together to see what the resistance the leads have. Should be .1 to .3 ohms and STEADY. Clean both ends of meter leads if the screen shows numbers jumpin' all over the place. Replace leads if cleaning does not change the jumpin' around. Replace meter if new leads does not fix jumpin' around! Now assuming you have a good test of switch action (called continuity) do the same test on the highest scale. Careful! That highest scale will actually measure the resistance of your skin! So don't touch the metal of the probes. You should get zero when you activate the switch. You should get the "1" when switch is open. The problem here is you may get some value other than infinity ("1"). Above 200000 ohms should be OK. Below is not good and the source of this between those two wires should be eliminated. Go do the same idea with the harness if these two pairs test OK. Just make sure the battery is disconnected before any ohms tests are made! Holler when more info or clarification needed.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2016, 04:38:27 PM »
Here's the missing pics. Reading your reply, Karl, I think I'm going to have to use another meter. I'll look into it further today. Which reminds me of an off-topic question I'll PM to you later
Looking back, when I said I wanted to be somebody, I should have been a lot more specific.

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2016, 08:48:56 PM »
Obviously, I've put this on the back burner. In the mean time, I've been working on jetting after disconnecting the rear brake light. A couple of days ago, I reconnected it and the noise is gone. I don't know what it was, but it'll probably come back. I'm now putting a 19mm carb on it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()