Author Topic: scooter vs motorcycle handling characteristics  (Read 3683 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
scooter vs motorcycle handling characteristics
« on: March 30, 2016, 01:25:38 AM »
our scooters would appear to have a weight distribution biased toward the rear (based on engine location)...motorcycles would appear to have a more forward weight distribution...how does this affect the handling between the 2?

Is this even an accurate assumption? It also looks like the riding position is farther forward on a scooter than on a motorcycle...

So what are the advantages or disadvantages of a typical motorcycle layout vs a typical scooter layout? And I'm just learning about rake angle...are our scooters set up with a rake angle more like a sport bike...or a cruiser?

thanks for satisfying my curiosity on these random questions!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: scooter vs motorcycle handling characteristics
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 01:34:22 AM »
At the MSF Safety Course, a motorcycle rider took my P150 for a quick spin around the parking lot. He said two things really impressed him: 1. How agile it was in the corners because of the lower center of gravity,  and 2. How nice it was to not worry about shifting all the time. Then he asked me if I wanted to try his motorcycle. I politely declined and said I'd stick to scooter!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:52:33 AM »
I don't believe scooters are more agile due to lower center of gravity, but rather due to smaller wheel/tire size, a big scooter with larger wheels like a Bergman 650 is not more agile than a dirtbike with a high center of gravity but has skinny tires
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
I took the MSF course on their tall dirt bike...not wanting to ride my lLIKE200I on the high speed roads to the test site (Air Guard airport).
Had been 45yrs since sitting a motorcycle. ..but it came back quickly. My creep speed balance is lousy on both.
But passed the course...and not an issue since I rarely ride scooter inside my house or crowded church services.
The 260 lb LIKE200I with 12" wheels is very quick to turn compared to my 489lb Burgman with 14/13" wheels.
The LIKE200I is so much more "agile" over the road at speed. ...that it feels much less planted and stable than does the bigger Burgman. The Burgman's weight. .length...wheels. ..makes it more reassuring and less stressful at most any speed once underway.
At low speeds the LIKE200I powertrain is much smoother. ..though the ride is rougher due to the quality of the suspension. There is a 300%+ difference in list  price....as well as a marked difference in their intended use in life.
Love the one....the other is growing on me since it is not a Honda, or Red.....Honda is still my first love in two wheelers. Kymco is my second.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »
Scoots and M/C's are different animals in my book. Geometry of the frame and wheels, no auto clutch being the biggest difference. Someone posted on a M/C forum that scoots were for pussies. I had to laugh, guy is a friggin moron and clueless. I get a smile whenever I see a scooter putting along in traffic. I think the person is brave no1 for putting his life on the line riding one, saving money and having fun all in one. Most scoots I see are the 50cc variety and they're not speedsters at all. I miss the 150 movie I had, beautiful scoot and it was a racer for a 150.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
DON'T FORGET WHEELBASE!! Shorter the wheelbase the quicker the turn and conversely.

Karl

PS: Scooters are for WHAT? We don't need no stinkin' machine to define us, do we!?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:20:09 AM »
good info so far...so it seems like the smaller, lighter weight, smaller wheeled scooters are much more maneuverable at lower speeds but we give up higher speed stability to the heavier, longer wheelbase motorcycles? Is that why it gets a little hairy on a scooter the faster we go? I've told some friends to imagine sitting in an office chair going down the road at 50 mph..that's what the scooter feels like!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 07:13:12 AM »
I currently have 2 motorcycles and 2 scooters.  They all handle the same in some ways and differently in others.  Keep in mind that different scooters handle differently from each other as different motorcycles handle differently.  Here are my bikes head to head:

In general the scooters have much lighter steering and are much more nimble.  The motorcycles are more stable, have much better suspensions and a lot more power. 

While on a ride last year I switched bikes with another guy for a bit.  He rode my majesty and I rode his XT250.  We both agreed that the Majesty had much lighter steering despite being much heavier.

In the end they are all fun to ride.  The scooters tend to be more practical.  Motorcycles tend to be more specialized and therefore can be better at certain things such as riding off the pavement. 

There is a long thread here comparing motorcycles and scooters: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/scooter-vs-motorcycle-which-is-superior.1088793/
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 03:42:10 PM »
Klaviator, thanks for the link...that's a good read! I'm also jealous of your bike collection...5 (?) different bikes in the garage? Nice...
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
I only have four.  When I got the Majesty I got rid of the Sport City.  I hated to do it but my garage was really crowded with 5 bikes and I just don't have the time to ride and maintain 5.  Even 4 is pushing it. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()