Author Topic: Gear Oil Change Problems  (Read 4565 times)

thelastkahl

• View Profile
Gear Oil Change Problems
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:02:12 AM »
So I set out to change my gear oil today in my 2006 Vitality 4t.  I bought Amsoil Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Lube.  My scooter takes .12 liters of the stuff.  I measured and put in a plastic bottle with a pointed top at the end.  Upon putting in into the fill hole the oil would continously pour out of the fill hole making it impossible to know how much was in the chamber.  I did this process twice making sure to drain completley both times and got the same result.  I hope I am near the .12 mark.  Not sure though :-\  Any advice or help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Oil Change Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:02:56 AM »
Someone here turned me on to using a large syringe to fill it. It works like a charm, and thanks to all the drug addicts, and liberal politicians you can buy a syringe at any pharmacy. Another tip is I just fill until it does really over flow the screw hole.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:07:01 AM »
Thats right zombie, to measure my cyl. head I got a syringe from a chemist store, 60 cents. I believe the correct level is to the filler plug.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »
I measure the correct amount of oil in a measuring cup then pour it into a ketchup/mustard squeeze bottle that you can find at a supermarket. It works fine, but the syringe is a great idea also.
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »
I have someone stand on one side of the scoot and lean it back so I can fill it up with no worrys
works great when you have a second set of hands.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:01:27 AM »
..i fill to the fill hole...then let the excess stop running out...

..close it up, then continue scooting...

..53,000kms so far....no leaks, no gearbox issues....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Pep Boys sells a large syringe that is used for oil mixing in a two stroke. It holds 60cc and has measuring lines, so it is perfect.

You should oly fill the recommended amount, or drain into a measuring cup and refill that amount.

DO NOT fill to overflowing. On many scoots that will result in blowing out the seals.

Put in the amount the manufacturer recommends.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
..okay...here we go...

..excerpt from the Agility 50 service manual..Section 3, page 3-7

FINAL REDUCTION GEAR OIL

OIL LEVEL CHECK

Place the motorcycle on it's main stand on level ground for oil level check
Stop the engine and remove the oil check bolt. The oil level shall be at the oil check bolt hole.
If the oil level is low, add the recommended oil to the proper level.

..hope this clears up any misconceptions....

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:28:22 AM »
Most gear oils come with a pointed tip that you have to cut off. If you use a piece of fuel/vacuum hose that will fit into the filling hole of your scoot you can just squeeze it in.

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
lean the scooter over on an angle.. most gear oils have a top with a point that you have to cut off. If you use some vacuum hose, clear tubing and slide it over the tip and insert the other end into the gear box it will go in the gearcase and not on the floor.
When filling the gearcase I usually fill it till it begins to run out and put the bolt back in.

pedro

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »
lean the scooter over on an angle.. most gear oils have a top with a point that you have to cut off. If you use some vacuum hose, clear tubing and slide it over the tip and insert the other end into the gear box it will go in the gearcase and not on the floor.
When filling the gearcase I usually fill it till it begins to run out and put the bolt back in.

I thought you said last night that you'd made your last post on here?  I'm confused.  Care to explain your change of mind?

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 11:26:03 PM »
I think we need to let bygones be bygones here.

Not to get into the middle of this issue since I was not involved in the previous stuff but......

Lankeeyankee is posting really helpful stuff here and working to help out others in need so let's not discourage that. 

I like to think that this forum is 1 part great technical help, 1 part fun, and 1 part connecting with other riders.

pedro

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
I think we need to let bygones be bygones here.

Not to get into the middle of this issue since I was not involved in the previous stuff but......

Lankeeyankee is posting really helpful stuff here and working to help out others in need so let's not discourage that. 

I like to think that this forum is 1 part great technical help, 1 part fun, and 1 part connecting with other riders.

I agree, However last night he went through and deleted a bunch of his posts to cover his tracks.  Today he's acting all super helpful.  Something just doesn't jive with me.  This is my last post on the subject.  Sorry for the threadjack.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:01:04 AM »
I understand your point Pedro - I'm not trying to take sides here. 

I just believe that as long as people are being nice to each other and trying to help out, it's all good.

We all say things were regret later, and I think we should consider it a fresh start and move forward from here.

Now I'm going to go get a beer because I'm starting to sound like Ghandi or something...

lankeeyankee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 12:16:37 AM »
Oswalters

Pedro is referring to a post I started looking for technical information on measurements on a particular kymco engine. I expressed that 98% of the people on here most likely wont know but I was hoping to find someone that did. I got reply's of opinions, inaccurate information which I wasn't needing. Some where along the line Pedro decided to jump into something that he had no idea of what he was getting into.
Long story short I dont mind helping people and I post FACTS not opinions when one is looking for help.
I cant stand when someone chimes in and isnt accurate. They just type cause maybe they are bored,,, I dont know but its annoying. If you cant provide the info one is needing DONT post. Go into a topic and start one of your own that you would like to talk about and mostly have knowledge about. You know what they say about opinions?
Art asked for some technical measurements and I provided them to him as soon as I could. So me and Art basically started to joke around and have conversation in the topic.
You may think I am arrogant, rude, harsh, or whatever you may think from your keyboard. But I will help those and provide accurate information when I have knowledge that one may not have.
So pedro I am not going to get in a internet argument, pissing contest with you. I will say that internet arguing is like the Special Olympics, even though you win your still a retard.. Enough said now lets continue on.
If you are not sure atleast put  IMO   in my opinion. this way you dont look like a dumb ass but more so one that is bored and wants to chime in.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()