Author Topic: Explain your 2 wheel "off" history  (Read 1958 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Explain your 2 wheel "off" history
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »
Have departed a motorcycle 4 times. All unplanned. 3 times on a Honda - but still like them!
So far - no issues with a scooter.

. 1) Honda Pillion rider, 1967, San Gabriel mts. Calif.: "off" over a cliff when buddy lost it on the outside shoulder. Bare-feet and jeans. Nothing else.

2) Yamaha Pillion rider, 1967, Azusa highway: "offed"  when different buddy threaded traffic a little too close. It was a left taillight that got my right knee. Dressed, no bike gear.

3) Honda, Massachusetts, 1968: low side "off" when senior citizen in a Chevy turned left across my lane.
**Bell helmet and leather gloves, no other 'gear'.

4) Honda 350, San Antonio TX, 1969: high sided into a cactus while crossing a dry stream bed, at night, during my stint in a 24 hr. enduro. Mandatory helmet, no other gear.

Total damages were some skin left in California, Mass. & TX.; couple mirrors and turn signals, & slightly bent forks.
What say you?
Stig

And like Jim Clark, my Bell helmet had a snap-on visor, and I wore brown gloves.....

He and I both used our rides to commute to and from work....
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: Explain your 2 wheel "off" history
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
Besides being a kid on a dirt bike I 've gone down 3 times. Twice in the 70's being f***ed up, 3rd was in 07 went down on a county gravel road because of a car almost doing a head on on my side of the road, sober that time.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:35:43 PM »
Went down on dec '15.
Riding on an avenue a taxi changed lanes and didnt see me. Bumped cab. I fell and bike hitted a garbage container.
Bike. A like 125 2015 totaled.... i was wearing full face helmet, motorcycle jacket, gloves and shorts.
Bruises on elbow.
Kneck swore
Knee baddly scraped

3 days after i rode again with a loaner and 10 days later bought another kymco.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
I went down on my People 250 two years ago this August. I was riding too fast around a curve and lost control of my bike. I slammed my head on the pavement (I was wearing my Nolan helmet) when I went down. Lucky for me, there was a transport ambulance right behind me when I crashed. They jumped out of their ambulance, stabilized me and called 911. The state police showed up in minutes and a hospital ambulance was on the scene shortly thereafter. I was taken to the hospital where they took Xrays and everything came back negative. I couldn't straighten up my back for a week but it could have been much worse. Oddly enough, my People 250 only sustained minor scuffs on the muffler shield and trunk. She fired right up the next day when I picked her up at the local impound yard where they took my bike after the crash.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:07:20 PM by ScooterLar »
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:42:18 PM »
I have too many too list or even remember although most were in the dirt which doesn't officially count as a crash.  The two most extreme where a head on collision at Deal's Gap with another bike that crashed and slid across the centerline and hitting Bambi at around 65 MPH.  I have walked away from all of my crashes and only had one broken bone, my collarbone.  I not only walked away from all my crashes, I rode away from all but two.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 07:13:35 PM »
Two here. First was first bike, that 1960 Honda Hawk 250 I keep yakking about, first day I owned it. Rode down the pier to load it on first ship, rode to a lap joint in the pier at a fine angle (like a rail track) and went down, bending one side of handlebar. Second, was 1962, same bike and different handlebar, same tires, lost back end on wet parking lot turn. Let's see, things learned: 1. Don't cross tracks at fine angle and 2. Replace tires before they develop "corners" on the tread. OOPS! Almost forgot the Yager real low speed turn fell over when I let it get too slow in 2011. 3. Plan your actions all the way thru! Had a helmet on last two "offs" but no gear on any.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 07:29:13 PM »
once on a Sachs. Brakes went kaput going down a steep hill. Went into someone's yard. deep mud. nothing got hurt except a guard dog's feelings.

Kymco agility. Kickstand may have been down on a very slow left hand turn on broken pavement. may have just been me. picked scooter back up and kept riding. had avulsions, sprained wrist and a knee that bothered me a few months
2014 Kymco Agility 125

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 01:13:39 AM »
There's a hint in my signature line. Riding my People 150 coming up to a stop light, slowing down for the red light. The cross traffic was already turning my direction, but one POS pickup made the turn and just kept turning - right into me. I jumped off, but the idiot totaled my scoot. Then he just looked at me with glazed over eyes and took off. Luckily, a lady who saw it followed him and led the police right to him. Turns out this was the guy's THIRD DUI! Also turns out that he lives less than a mile down the road from me. I give him the one finger salute when I have to drive by his house. Man, I miss that scooter!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 03:09:36 AM »
First time, Yager GT 200i, maybe 3 years ago, winter day, 28 degrees F. Rear ended at a toll booth on my way to work. The guy behind me didn’t so much as come into the booth and hit me. He was actually waiting behind me, then for some reason, before I was able to leave after paying the toll, he stepped on the gas and ran into me. Bike thrown forward and into the left side of the toll booth. I wasn’t hurt, but really pissed. Bike had cracked paneling and fractured front light. Toll operator called the police and the driver and I pulled over to the toll plaza area and waited. Cop issued him a ticket, but didn’t ask or check to see if he was using a cell phone. Turns out the guy is a well know sports writer/radio host in the Philadelphia area, who, last year, ran as a Republican for the House of Representatives for New Jersey (or maybe Pennsylvania).

He lost. Better still, his insurance covered all repairs. I was wearing a heavy leather jacket, full face helmet, over the ankle boots and winter gloves.

May 17, 2015. Driving back from Micky D’s around 7 at night going down a residential street with a county park/lake on one side. Lone car coming in the opposite direction. Makes an un-signaled left turn in front of me. I manage to turn the opposite way (to my left) and avoided being hit and hitting him, but my scoot -- same bike, the Yager -- goes down and I wake up in the hospital. Four broken ribs, fractured cartilage in my neck, bruised vocal cord, and my top right front tooth was snapped in half and went through my top lip. Road burns across my left arm, and hip, and a nasty one on my right shin.

The McDonalds is exactly one mile away from our house so I opted not to wear my riding jacket. Was wearing my full face helmet, but just a short sleeve shirt, shorts and sneakers. The driver was an 18 year old kid driving his day’s car. Fortunately, his dad’s insurance had the proper coverage and will be paying for all of my medical expenses. The Yager was totaled, but two months later I purchase my Downtown 300i.

Two months ago, this year, I rode and broke one of my cardinal rules -- never drive if it’s below freezing. It was a bright sunny day, but the temperature was just below freezing. I had to go into Philadelphia to pick up some items for a class to teach the next day. Rather than taking the train  I decide to scoot as it looked like a good day to do so, despite the cold.

Getting into the city is uneventful, and an enjoyable ride. As I’m leaving to head home I pull out of the scooter corral where I’m parked and take a turn at an intersection after waiting for the light to turn green. Turn left and WHAM! bike goes down after the front wheel hits a smooth manhole. Scrapped paneling, but that was it. No damage to any lights, mirrors, even reflectors. Had a bruised and swollen ankle, and a small cut on my hip. I was more in shock than in pain and pretty pissed off. My bike was still fairly new, and now she had her first wipe-out. Picking her back up I rode home with no problems. Ankle was worst the next day, and in hindsight I make have fractured it slightly as it still doesn’t completely look normal -- still swollen, but no readiness or pain. I’ve even gone jogging a few times since.

Was wearing my heavy winter jacket, full face helmet, winter gloves, over the ankles boots and thermals under my jeans. Lessoned learned -- don’t ride when it’s below freezing. Frozen metal is extremely slippery. Have since had the paneling repaired and the DT looks better than new.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »
Geez Wolf@!
Good post.
A question: if you nor your scooter touched that kids car, why did his insurance pay?
He must have stopped and admitted wrongdoing?
Some might have speculated you simply lost control?
A man and wife on two PCX's both went down to avoid a wreck happening in front of them....no insurance co. would help them because they hit no vehicles.
Injuries and damaged scooters.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »
The kid did stop and waited for the police and ambulance to arrive. I was unconscious but I hear he was pretty freaked out cause my face and helmet was covered with blood. I found out about 2 weeks after the accident through the police report that I was ejected from my scooter when it went down. It must have spun and thrown me into the back of his car/tire. I think that’s how my tooth got broken, and the scar on my right shin. The kid admitted to turning in front of me, without a signal, so he was fined later in court.

Insurance is being settled as we speak.

I should also add that my tooth has been fixed since them so I’m not gap toothed and sorry looking -- relatviely. Lip scar is still there, but not that bad. G.I. joe-esqe as my wife calls it. If I grow a mustache and beard you can’t see it. 

All in all I’m pretty lucky.

- Wolf

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 09:06:36 PM »
Have departed a motorcycle 4 times. All unplanned. 3 times on a Honda - but still like them!
So far - no issues with a scooter.

. 1) Honda Pillion rider, 1967, San Gabriel mts. Calif.: "off" over a cliff when buddy lost it on the outside shoulder. Bare-feet and jeans. Nothing else.

2) Yamaha Pillion rider, 1967, Azusa highway: "offed"  when different buddy threaded traffic a little too close. It was a left taillight that got my right knee. Dressed, no bike gear.

3) Honda, Massachusetts, 1968: low side "off" when senior citizen in a Chevy turned left across my lane.
**Bell helmet and leather gloves, no other 'gear'.

4) Honda 350, San Antonio TX, 1969: high sided into a cactus while crossing a dry stream bed, at night, during my stint in a 24 hr. enduro. Mandatory helmet, no other gear.

Total damages were some skin left in California, Mass. & TX.; couple mirrors and turn signals, & slightly bent forks.
What say you?
Stig

And like Jim Clark, my Bell helmet had a snap-on visor, and I wore brown gloves.....

He and I both used our rides to commute to and from work....

I say..."Never" and hope to keep it that way.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()