Author Topic: Should they be riding?  (Read 2803 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Should they be riding?
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »
Visited my neighbor yesterday to install one of my YUASA batteries into his LIKE200i that died from lack of use. Not started since last summer - goofy thing fired immediately with the new battery - then tried his LIKE200i and it fired immediately as well. Pretty cool. Showed him where the dipstick is and how to use the center stand. Total miles on the scoots is less than 400.
Offered to do oil changes on both and check valves & fasteners whenever he wants. Just pay for the oils.  (gear & engine)
He's thinking about it - took months to get him to let me give him the battery. (removed & kept fresh, from my LIKE when I replaced it with bigger YUASA battery) Don't blame him, I guess,  for being suspicious of somebody offering a free battery.

This got me thinking about my scoot - so last night I checked the valves. By 'feel' I thought the intake was too tight and the exhaust was too loose - using my fingers.

Then I checked them with a .oo4 and a ,oo5 blade. The .oo5 would not go in - but the .oo4 slid in just right! They were both perfect!

Huh - my touch must be getting rusty. Oh well, it has been months since I've been in there.

While I was crawling around I saw some very light areas of rust - so I sprayed some black paint on a frame member and the stands.

I offered to go riding with my neighbor...very early in the morning to keep him out of traffic...mentioned to him the special streets & roads which are safest from cars in our town, etc. If I could get him 2 miles over to the State park he can cruise all day on their lightly traveled 25mph roads.

Considering that he is afraid to use the center stand...it might be awhile before we can get out on the road.

And, MAYBE it is simply not advisable at all?

He remarked, again, that they bought these two KYMCOs because they saw me riding by every day - and thought that it looked like great fun. They are both seniors. Her's is red & his in the blue/black - both are spotless.

He has done well to get 250 miles on our bumpy neighborhood 25 mph streets. Forcing himself. The Mrs. about half of that. Took a couple tries but he did pass the licensing test.

They both should take the motorcycle safety course shouldn't they? But they may need to have their scooters delivered to and from the course - to get there safely. (by the looks of their house & cars - they can afford the delivery services) It is 15 miles on a 55 mph road to get to the air guard airport where the class is held. I refused to take my scooter there - took the course on their motorcycles.

What do you folks think? Should they be riding?

Some pix...

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Should they be riding?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
Great pix as always, Stig! They should definitely do the MSF course. However, I am wondering if they are really motivated to do what we do. Are they reluctant because of a kind of "buyer's remorse" or fear of some kind? I used to teach flying and had to, on a couple of occasions, point blank ask WHY were they taking the lessons? They did not seem to progress and I had a problem taking their money and spending time to get nowhere. Students are SUPPOSED get better than their instructor. New riders have to WANT to ride. Persistence and determination are required to get competence. Do they have that, in your estimation? They should not ride if your answer is "no." IMO.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »
They probably shouldn't be riding.  BUT, maybe fear is holding them back and if they developed enough skills to overcome fear then they would start enjoying it and ride more.  It's hard to tell for sure.  They should take the MSF course.  If they are not willing to do that they shouldn't be riding.

I think that for the most part the "riding bug" is something we are born with.....or not.  There are some people who own bikes for years but just don't have the riding bug.  That's why we see so many used bikes with incredibly low miles on them.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:06:59 PM »
I'm sure they'll never ride as much as you do. But perhaps they've gotten caught in the vicious circle. They don't ride much because they are not comfortable doing so. And they won't take the course to gain more confidence because they may be afraid they won't pass. I was especially motivated. But even I was uncomfortable being the only 50+ in a class full of mostly 20 somethings.

I'm glad that in Florida the class is MANDATORY for anything other than a 50cc capable of 30mph or so. The class IS the test. Pass the class, go to the Dmv with your certificate, and get your endorsement.
Had I not HAD to take the class, I likely wouldn't have the comfort level to ride as much as I do.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Perhaps he'd be interested in letting you give him a few pointers: enough where he'll at least have the confidence to ride a little more. Otherwise, just let them  be content to circle the block every so often like they are doing now.
2009 Xciting 250

Jake1939

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »

Im thinking at their age, they should have started out on something less intimidating like a 50 cc.

Jake 1939

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
You said you were uncomfortable in an MSF class of 20-somethings, Forbes. So were we in Florida and I was so tickled that it was a 20-something guy went down by over-braking ( Boy, that did not sound right! Well, he was cocky like the instructors could not teach him anything..) and then went on to do pretty well. I also was tickled to get the lowest time of the class and one second slower than an ace for the course! Yeah, well, that and two bucks might buy you a cup of coffee somewhere. The results were a personal thing and not made public, you passed or did the course again later. The instructor kinda let me know what the results were amazed an old frat like me could do that! The "Kids" did pretty well some of the 20-something girls that never been on a motorcycle nor never drove a "shift" before did surprisingly well. Probably because they listened to the instructor unlike some of the "macho" guys that thought they knew everything like ole Bust-yer-butt I told you about! Talk about how to build a clock when someone asks what time is it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »
It sounds to me like they just need to get comfortable with those Likes. Take them to some parking lots to practice. Get them used to the scoots before they go on the open road (even if it is on the less traveled ones).

BTW, lost your touch huh. Can't everyone feel the difference between .004 and .005.  8)
Wayne

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
You said you were uncomfortable in an MSF class of 20-somethings, Forbes. So were we in Florida and I was so tickled that it was a 20-something guy went down by over-braking ( Boy, that did not sound right! Well, he was cocky like the instructors could not teach him anything..) and then went on to do pretty well. I also was tickled to get the lowest time of the class and one second slower than an ace for the course! Yeah, well, that and two bucks might buy you a cup of coffee somewhere. The results were a personal thing and not made public, you passed or did the course again later. The instructor kinda let me know what the results were amazed an old frat like me could do that! The "Kids" did pretty well some of the 20-something girls that never been on a motorcycle nor never drove a "shift" before did surprisingly well. Probably because they listened to the instructor unlike some of the "macho" guys that thought they knew everything like ole Bust-yer-butt I told you about! Talk about how to build a clock when someone asks what time is it!

Karl

No problem. I'm OFTEN accused of "building clocks" myself. 😀
In my class there were two other 30+  people. One was semi-experienced but hadn't ridden in a long time. But the other was a smug guy took the class because in his words he was " tired of getting caught" without his endorsement. And the judge indicated that there would be no more mercy. He clearly thought that he didn't need the class. Yet he was one who dropped the bike in a most undignified manner. And although he passed the class, I scored higher on the skills test than he did.
One of the Coccky 20 somethings dropped his too. I was one of the few who didn't drop the bike the entire time. However, the fact that I took the class on THEIR 50cc scooter may have helped.
2009 Xciting 250

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
just give them some time
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »
They will lose interest and sell them.
Fear and lack of interest.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 01:49:11 AM »

Im thinking at their age, they should have started out on something less intimidating like a 50 cc.

Jake 1939

No Jake..most dealers around here know not to sell a 50cc to anyone. In these parts one will get you killed. 50cc scooters are for campgrounds only.
Their scooters are just right. ....but balance goes away ...and strength....as one ages sometimes.
There is s huge church parking lot 1/2 mile away.  I did 200 miles there. It is up to them to go there. I will remind  him about the lot and the bike class when I see him next.
Image not knowing or caring about a dipstick.
This is where we're at....with these seniors.
I'm backing away from anything but servicing their scooters until they take that class.
An expert may advise them to sell the scoots after evaluating them.
One girl in my class was evaluated and advised to rethink her two wheel ambitions.
Not everyone should ride
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

doublej

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
Move on.... These are not motivated people and really don't need the bikes. Let them sit.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Sounds like a future opportunity to buy some low mileage scoots on the cheap.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
Sorry if I'm a little late chiming in here, but you've done all you can to pass on the joy of scootering to your neighbor, Stig. Some people just don't understand, and probably never will, no matter what you say or do for them. I see this all the time in my job as an old fart Band Director - a kid has a natural knack for a certain instrument but just can't understand, no matter how much I explain or encourage them. Sometimes we just have to do our best, and let them go.

On a good note, I will have an upcoming chance to let it ALL go - 31 days until retirement!! Then I plan on making my title "Full-time Scooter Dude"  :D
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
Sorry if I'm a little late chiming in here, but you've done all you can to pass on the joy of scootering to your neighbor, Stig. Some people just don't understand, and probably never will, no matter what you say or do for them. I see this all the time in my job as an old fart Band Director - a kid has a natural knack for a certain instrument but just can't understand, no matter how much I explain or encourage them. Sometimes we just have to do our best, and let them go.

On a good note, I will have an upcoming chance to let it ALL go - 31 days until retirement!! Then I plan on making my title "Full-time Scooter Dude"  :D
Good for you!!
(yesterday I went off the clock - no longer employed - feels weird to say that after 50 yrs!)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()