Author Topic: Best summer gear.  (Read 1142 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Best summer gear.
« on: April 30, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »
I'm a new rider, so I was wondering what do you guys wear for summer riding? In Tallahassee, Florida it's ALREADY near 90 degrees and the humidity is climbing. I CONSISTENTLY wear a mesh Jacket with armour. It's a lower priced jacket, and although it's acceptable when riding at highway speeds, it's still very hot siting still and going slow. Are some brands more comfortable than others?
I also wear mesh OVERPANTS with armour because I can wear shorts or light pants underneath and only have to buy one pair. I can also remove them without fanfare when I get where I'm going. But I admit that I'm less consistent with them. Are the mesh jackets and overpants simply the most comfortable fairly safe things around? Are certain brands cooler than others.
I can tolerate it now. But I'm wondering about when temperatures reach near three digits and humidity climbs to sauna levels. Thanks in advance.
2009 Xciting 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Best summer gear.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »
We get similar temps here and like you have the all mesh textile jacket and pants, am less consistent with the pants. Usually wear those on a longer ride or multi day trip. So, I wear jeans. As for the mesh, they're all about the same as I own about 4 jackets; 2 winter and 2 summer. If it's too hot, I don't ride but that's seldom. Rode in 120  heat in Big Bend on my Burgman 400 and that was ghastly. Makes 100 degrees seem cool.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:23:22 AM »
We get similar temps here and like you have the all mesh textile jacket and pants, am less consistent with the pants. Usually wear those on a longer ride or multi day trip. So, I wear jeans. As for the mesh, they're all about the same as I own about 4 jackets; 2 winter and 2 summer. If it's too hot, I don't ride but that's seldom. Rode in 120  heat in Big Bend on my Burgman 400 and that was ghastly. Makes 100 degrees seem cool.

Remember the biker accident statistics : most bike collisions are within a mile of two of home....but you already know this.
There IS no safe riding distance.
Just a friendly prompt from an Angel on your shoulder....
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 12:58:42 AM »
Yeah mesh gear is about as lite as you can go and still have at least some protection.
Some will say brand x is cooler than brand y.  Who knows.

Here's the deal brother it's gonna get hot with the gear on !
I break out the summer gear knowing Im Making some concessions and roll on.

I also take extra showers and bulk up on the deodorant....😜

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 01:14:55 AM »
I wear mesh all year long.My jacket as 3 liners that can come out so you can add or take away.at times you just have to deal with the temp. to be safe.....Ride smart and safe and also keep you brain covered............We have a law here saying its your choice to wear a helmit.......Big joke 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 02:04:03 AM »
Mesh it the way to go.  I lighter color mesh such as silver will heat up less from the sun than black.  A cooling vest and or cooling neck wrap also helps but won't be as effective in really humid climates like Florida.  If possible change your route to roads with fewer traffic lights. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:52:39 AM »
Remember the biker accident statistics : most bike collisions are within a mile of two of home....but you already know this.
There IS no safe riding distance.
Just a friendly prompt from an Angel on your shoulder....
You're spot on mate and I assume you're ATTGATT. A buddy of mine crashed near his home in jeans and had some nasty cuts on his legs and really tore up his pants. Now he always wears riding pants. Wearing jeans is a bad habit I've developed and hopefully will get smarter about these things.

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()