Author Topic: What Socket Set  (Read 1938 times)

Salvadorsshadow

• View Profile
What Socket Set
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »
New Like 200 owner here.  I need to know what the best socket set would be for this bike.  I don't use tools as much as I should, because I have been blessed with vehicles in generally good repair.  That being said, when I need to do something I like to have the right tools for the job, so my natural inclination has always been to buy the "big" sets of tools.  It is my intention to be able to tear down and rebuild just about anything that goes wrong mechanically for my bike.  Right now that simply means being able to change the oil and gear fluid, and being able to do a valve check in about 200 miles. So my question is this:  What socket set would have everything I need (and nothing I don't)?  I'm on a budget so Stanley tools will probably be my go-to.  I want a set that is all sockets/wrenches/extensions and nothing extra (already have screwdrivers, hex keys).  Do I need to buy one of the $50-60 sets or is there a socket set which will have all I need closer to $20?  I ask because, well, I just bought a scooter.  Money will be tight for the next couple of months as I get the tools, helmet, cloths, and cover that I need.

Thanks!

Cross posting in Like Forum.

souzamoto

• View Profile
Re: What Socket Set
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:56 AM »
20 Bucks?, That's Harbor Freight tools. At least step up to Craftsman at Sears. Invest in tools that will last a while.
CJS

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:48:39 AM »
20 Bucks?, That's Harbor Freight tools. At least step up to Craftsman at Sears. Invest in tools that will last a while.

On a sad note Craftsman stuff being made in China.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
I just exchanged a 40 yr old Craftsman for a new one. The new one's guts fell out in a week and got another exchange.

Go to Walmart and get a nice Stanley Metric Socket set <$50.

Go to autoparts store and get the sockets individually for the clutch and variator.

Nice to have a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratchets.

Go to wallmart and get a cordless screw driver $20 and get the 3 socket ratchet attachments for it $5 they should be on the shelf. One of the best tools for quickly unscrewing nuts and screws.

Get long and small 3/8 extensions for the sockets along with a flexible extension. Then get the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and 1/2 to 3/8 adapter etc. They may come in a set at wallmart ~$5.

Go to HF for torque wrenches as I think HF torque wrenches are OK for these Chinese scooters.

Get a cheap pair of pliers and make vertical grooves in them with a dremal tool for gripping hose clips.

Get the tools for locking your variator and clutch in place so you can remove the nuts on them.

Get a good metric allen wrench set. Can be one of those compact handhelds.

Enjoy being able to be your own mechanic for most scooter work and maintenance.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:00:04 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Salvadorsshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 03:17:17 PM »
Awesome Chris, that is what I was looking for.  Thanks!

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
While you are saving up, you can borrow tools from some of the auto parts stores or if you have a neighborhood Facebook page, ask your neighbours.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

Salvadorsshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 05:09:25 PM »
So, these two sets are both listed for $50.

http://www.stanleytools.com/en-us/products/automotive-tools/other-tools/mechanics-set/123-pc-mechanicrsquos-tool-set/stmt72254

http://www.stanleytools.com/en-us/products/automotive-tools/other-tools/mechanics-set/69-pc-black-chrome-socket-set/92-824

The 123 piece set has more extra crap than I want...but it also seems to have more sockets, extensions etc.  It has 6 fewer 3/8 sockets, 10 more 1/4 sockets, 1 additional spark plug socket and one additional different length 1/4 extension.  If my counting is right.

Between these two, which socket set would you go with?  I like the purpose and simplicity of the first, but for the money I want as much as I can get, purely in terms of the sockets and wrenches.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 05:27:06 PM »
Looking them over Salva. Let me think.

For almost the same price, I like the 123 pc. The metric deep well may have redundancy but you have a good selection.

Look to get a 14mm and 13mm spanner to cover the mirrors etc.

A walmart turkey baster for fluid changes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 05:43:49 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

JJJoseph