Author Topic: Variator kit  (Read 2010 times)

hieumait

• View Profile
Variator kit
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:49:40 AM »
where to buy complete Variator kit have 8.5gr rollers? 49.4 cc lc
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:56:59 AM by hieumait »

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

hieumait

• View Profile
Re: Variator kit
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »
I just install new variator with 8.5gr rollers, it's slipping or delay about 5 to 10 second before it kick in and move forward, is this normal, how long does it take to break in?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:17:48 PM by hieumait »

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:52:06 AM »
It's not normal the take 5 to 10 seconds to more forward, and variator doesn't require break-in IMO.  If really taking that long to get going, you have a problem IMO.  8.5g rollers seems heavy to me, maybe part of the problem.

There will be some delay, especially if you install stiffer fly springs, to get CVT wound up and engaged moving forward, but not 5 seconds.  I like the OEM fly springs because they engage sooner.  My 1st Super 9 LC had stiff fly springs and was a pain to get rolling, I switched to OEM fly springs and like it much better.

The delay effect also comes from 2T engine compared to 4 cycle engines.  Generally, 4 cycles will have more low end torque and start off the line quicker, generally 2T engines make more HP once the revs are in the power band.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

hieumait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:51:56 AM »
thank Chaz, originally it have 3x 4.5gr and 3x 6.5gr roller it in but when I riding it rpm 10k plus dumping gas to get moving around 30mph, cant go any faster, a tank of gas  less than a week, that why i change to 8.5gr roller better in gas, rpm drop from 10k plus to 6.5 to 7k, delay engagement, but when it move it can go up 35 to 40mph wot, let me order oem spring to try and see what happen

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
You bought scooter used right?  Have you checked the torque spring, big spring that controls the driven pulley?, may be too stiff and won't allow the driven pulley to open all the way, keeping you out of high gear?

hieumait

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
Hi Chaz, I got scooter free, dont know what have been modify, I see big spring on clutch is white, and dont know what original (oem) look like
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:45:00 PM by hieumait »

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
Did you install white torque spring that came with the variator kit?

The OEM torque spring usually has light coat of red spray paint.  I like to change out to Malossi green torque spring, it's the weakest torque spring I know of.  Advantage of weak torque spring is less parasitic drag to run CVT which robs HP to the rear tire.  49cc scooter will be faster with weaker torque spring.

The white torque spring that is included in the Malossi variator kit should not be used.  It's stiffer than the OEM spring and is for a different scooter with a lot more HP than your scooter.  Malossi makes good stuff, but from personal experience, some of their kits don't have the appropriate parts, and instructions are minimal or nonexistent.  I especially like their variator kit, but the white torque spring included will mess you up, if you try to use it.  Cheers

hieumait

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
No, I order ramp plate & 6 rollers, and it isnt come with spring, spring already on the bike before I got it, thanks 4 the info

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()