Author Topic: Theft proofing our scooters  (Read 6612 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Theft proofing our scooters
« on: May 07, 2016, 08:59:43 PM »
Karl's recent loss of his scooter reminded me of how precious our scooters are to us. How can we theft proof our scooters to minimize our exposure to these horse thieves? Horse thieves were once hanged for their offence. So we don't take kindly to anyone touching our bikes, moving them and taking off with them.

Several have mentioned some after market mods like hidden fuel petcocks, switches, chains, cables, padlocks and brake rotor locks. Perhaps you may like to share your tips and what works for you.

Again Karl, our hearts go out to ya Bro.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:11:54 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: Theft proofing our scooters
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
Bought a 5'x8' wooden shed. Keep it locked up when not riding.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:58:27 PM »
Can't ever totally theft proof them.
But you can insure them.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »
have one of these to use when parking in a lot downtown (dentist's office, etc.)
Loud alarm....with a pager. And a grip lock on the brake lever.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/18784/i/bully-alarm-lock-with-pager

Otherwise scoot is parked in the garage, locked with padlocks on the tracks and a motion alarm on the door.
Grip lock on the front brake lever (heavy rear end, but can be picked up...but not steered with front wheel locked from rolling.)
And as amac said....well insured.
Had a Honda bike stolen from old wooden garage while in medic training, Texas, 1960's. Our only transportation.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 02:59:42 AM »
I use a xena disk lock w/alarm but the most important is a good insurance.
I.dont lock my scoot that often because where i live nobody really likes them.. ;)

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
Usually the idea is to make your vehicle too much trouble to steal....so they'll move along to another one.
But when YOU own the only goat in the barn.....
Well, s h o o t!
Trying not to get too attached to my goat......Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »
My issue with theft insurance on a scooter with a value of about a $1000 after 3 years usage, is that if I use it, it will probably come back to haunt me on my car insurance as I will have a record of filing a claim.

Thus the insurance companies may charge me more for insurance and get 2x the value back they paid me for replacement.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
My issue with theft insurance on a scooter with a value of about a $1000 after 3 years usage, is that if I use it, it will probably come back to haunt me on my car insurance as I will have a record of filing a claim.

Thus the insurance companies may charge me more for insurance and get 2x the value back they paid me for replacement.

My insurance company (Foremost) is separate but I only have basic liability on my used scooters. Funny, I don't know what the cost of liability vs full coverage would be as I always thought that the extra amount over a period of years would buy my bike again. I'm kinda cheap on buying bikes and have never paid more than 3500 for any bike including Goldwings so I had a hard time justifying paying for full coverage or a used bike without allot of economic value. Perhaps I'm wrong and maybe someone can get me to change my mind.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:18:31 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
My insurance company (Foremost) is separate but I only have basic liability on my used scooters. Funny, I don't know what the cost of liability vs full coverage would be as I always thought that the extra amount over a period of years would buy my bike again. I'm kinda cheap on buying bikes and have never paid more than 3500 for any bike including Goldwings so I had a hard time justifying paying for full coverage or a used bike without allot of economic value. Perhaps I'm wrong and maybe someone can get me to change my mind.

As I recall the difference wasn't too much but I do not really remember. One of the guys over on the Burgman board swears by used bikes and full coverage with a low/no deductible since just dropping one of these plastic bodied things can be expensive.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »
I have the absolute most coverage I can get from GEICO and it's only $116 for the year on my DT. And that's with a reasonable 250 deductible.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
I have full coverage on my People 50 for $60 a year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
I suggest full coverage. There may be more at stake than just paying for damages your bike, or to another vehicle. If you’re injured and lack health insurance, or miss work because of your injuries, and the other guy’s insurance doesn’t cover that, full coverage may help in that direction. If you have a passenger injured in a crash, our you cause injuries to others, full coverage can help with that too, as well as bike replacement (or the Kelley blue book equivalent).

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
I suggest full coverage. There may be more at stake than just paying for damages your bike, or to another vehicle. If you’re injured and lack health insurance, or miss work because of your injuries, and the other guy’s insurance doesn’t cover that, full coverage may help in that direction. If you have a passenger injured in a crash, our you cause injuries to others, full coverage can help with that too, as well as bike replacement (or the Kelley blue book equivalent).

- Wolf

Please look into exactly how much medical coverage you have as a rider with your scooter insurance policy.
Often the medical coverage to the rider will pay for little more than a few minutes in the ER......
Actual hospital stay, leg repairs, etc. medical coverage on a powered 2-wheeler is VERY limited or very expensive.
I think most rely on their health insurance for after-accident medical coverage.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »
I have full coverage and it  covers up to $5000.00 in medical cost. That was useful when I had my crash and a 4 night stay in the hospital.
But I agree, coverage may vary from carrier to carrier. As two wheel rides we’re the most vulnerable vehicles on the road. That’s how I tend
to look at it.

- Wolf

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 11:58:48 PM »
For me it's more about the other guy and the rest of the things I own.
Kill or severely injury another and the cost of insurance seems cheap. As stig has said look at the coverage offered and make decisions based on ones own situation.

The scooter repair/replacement could be the least of the problems.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()