Author Topic: Theft proofing our scooters  (Read 6608 times)

mnpugdog

• View Profile
Re: Theft proofing our scooters
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »

I still don't see full coverage...... when you get sued for $1,000,000 or have only $249 in damage

yes you have good coverage with fairly high limits, as I do my self,

Full coverage as in if anything happens there is coverage for it. Will it always be enough? of course not. As far as being sued I have a helmet cam that I have running everytime I ride. So if they want to claim something else that happened and sue me then its up to them to prove the video I have is wrong.

I have been sued before and once the real truth and evidence came out he crawled back under his rock and got nothing from me.

djpo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
Just got back from getting gas in mine and stopped at the safeway for their bread (in exchange for some of my bread).

All eyes were on my scooter. A lady putting her groceries in her smart car wanted to chat about how fun, how cute.. yada yada yada..  then on the way out a lady and guy were saying how fun it looks and how they'd love to be able to travel around on a scooter. Then they watched as I loaded a bag of bread, salad, hamburger meat, filet steaks and a box of boneless chicken wings in the top box. LOL... (i never leave the store with just the item on the list).

Makes me aware of how many eyes are on the scooter since it's such a novelty, especially in a giant pickup truck / suv crazed place.

I purchased a TrackR unit for the scooter (similar to tile) which I'll install today. Also purchased a lock that fits over the throttle and brake, but I'm not confident in the ability to unlock it once it is on (tried it once and it was challenging to get unlocked for some reason).

I have good insurance thru Farmers Insurance and a secondary insurance that will reimburse me for my Farmer's deductable, so if it gets crooked, I'm only out the time it will take to call someone to pick me up from where they strand me.
🏍  Rolling in style on a 2015 Kymco Like 200i  🏍
Smoking the streets of Kitsap County - Washington State

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 08:26:31 AM »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
Yes,I can see that it certainly has value.
But, if your ride has handle protectors then this item might not fit,as there won't be enough space in front of the brake lever.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »
Just got back from getting gas in mine and stopped at the safeway for their bread (in exchange for some of my bread).

All eyes were on my scooter. A lady putting her groceries in her smart car wanted to chat about how fun, how cute.. yada yada yada..  then on the way out a lady and guy were saying how fun it looks and how they'd love to be able to travel around on a scooter. Then they watched as I loaded a bag of bread, salad, hamburger meat, filet steaks and a box of boneless chicken wings in the top box. LOL... (i never leave the store with just the item on the list).

Makes me aware of how many eyes are on the scooter since it's such a novelty, especially in a giant pickup truck / suv crazed place..
That sounds so familiar...same experiences here in Spud Land. 🚜 (The redneck factor is pretty strong here)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

djpo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »
Ran across this.

http://www.grip-lock-canada.com/

That's what i purchased (see my post above). I don't trust this item though. The lock moves too much in the housing and the first time I applied it, it took an awful lot to get it to unlock -
🏍  Rolling in style on a 2015 Kymco Like 200i  🏍
Smoking the streets of Kitsap County - Washington State

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Perhaps a bike cover over the Scooter might defuse someone's temptation when they can't see the eye candy, even if it's not going to rain. Everything is about perception.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
grunge..... pretty bikes get stolen before grungy ones
RandyO
IBA#9560

genie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »
hello all from London England - this is my first post on this forum :D

here in London we have a really serious problem with scooter theft, and you need to be pretty clued up about security.

Any cable lock, grip lock, disc lock, or chain lock with a link or shaft less than 16mm in diameter can be cut or broken in two minutes or less by a thief with some basic knowledge and a few cheap tools. Our local scooter thieves (known in the scooter world as 'toerags') travel equipped with 5' bolt cutters, hammers, and freeze spray as standard equipment. Some of the cheaper locks can be picked with a biro (ballpoint pen).

My security setup at home, in a leafy suburb of London, consists of a 1.5m chain with 16mm links, Squire padlock, all locked into a large eyebolt in the wall of my house. I'm also getting a ground anchor put in to secure the rear wheel, which will be secured with another identical chain and lock. The chain with padlock cost about £250 ($500) each, but if you don't invest in proper security then your scooter will surely be nicked. Vespas are particularly vulnerable - I  rode Vespas for over 10 years, and am a moderator on a Vespa forum, but I don't ride one any more because it's too difficult to keep kids from taking them unless you have totally secure parking both at home and at work.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:08:52 PM by genie »

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »

here in London we have a really serious problem with scooter theft, and you need to be pretty clued up about security.

I have read about that on other forums, fortunately here in the US, we have the 2nd amendment and theft is not quite as much of a problem
RandyO
IBA#9560

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 01:30:34 AM »
grunge..... pretty bikes get stolen before grungy ones

Yep never wash it, keep it muddy.  :o ;D

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »
Re: Disk Locks

Just remember to take the damn thing off before you attempt a cool getaway in front of the assembled cafe patrons <ahem>

Not too much of a security problem in NE Scotland (other than the odd opportunistic joyriding ned) and there always seems to be a concreted in security arrangement in town (for pushbikes mainly, but motorcycles are catered for also), so it's just a matter of selecting a suitable 'deterrent' lock to carry with you.

I did read somewhere else that cable type arrangements often take longer to chew though as they rarely 'snip' as with a steel bar type lock and boltcutters. A cable might be a bit easier to carry as well. I use a cable in the shed and keep the 2 ends padlocked together with the padlock locked under the  Downtown's seat as it might be the easiest bit to attack with cutters.

I quite like the ignition lock cover arrangement on the Downtown and I generally use it and the steering lock when parking in town. I guess the cable/under seat padlock arrangement might work ok in town too.

Cheers

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
Re the disk lock,  a reminder cable is a must!

I recently saw a utube video on cutting  a security cable with a pair of cheap wire cutters(same size as pliers) 2.44min=job done, and bike gone.!

All he did was snip one or two strands at a time.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:52:51 PM by xsel777 »

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
2.44 minutes isn't too bad though eh? I dunno if many tea leaves that would hang around for that long.

I've seen videos where a guy can go through a steel bar or a padlock with a set of bolt cutters in a matter of seconds (Storage Hunters!)

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 04:02:30 AM »
Yep,  when I think about it, that 2.44min is a long time when your heart is racing, and expecting to be caught in the act any second.

The utube demo did not show that aspect, all nice and calm in the studio.

However, if the scoot was in  a quiet area, and the thief had steel kahunas, it is feasible with the wire cutter method.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()