Author Topic: Buying too small ?  (Read 2847 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Buying too small ?
« on: May 08, 2016, 01:25:41 AM »
I tend to get onto myself for buying too small a scooter when starting up with this pastime.

I have taken 1 yr steps from 163 to 279 to 400cc's ....and am now seriously considering a 582cc scooter to ride into the sunset yrs.

What I forget sometimes is that I had been away from motorcycles for nearly 50 yrs....and how, 3 summers ago,  that first 35mph foray into traffic down a major road was pretty scary.

If I have survived these 20,000 miles of riding on 3 different scooters without incidents of any kind - this might in parts be due to my gradual progression, my cautious nature, and the days spent riding in the motorcycle safety class....and maybe a bit of mental, & muscle, memory from three motorcycles 50 yrs ago.

Could I have ridden 20,000 uneventful miles on a NOS, 550 lb, 582cc ABS Silver Wing from the start? Maybe - maybe.
Sure - it would have made better financial sense to start at the end - with a 600 class scooter - but I really should have no regrets that I took things more slowly than that.

I still do very much enjoy riding locally on my amazingly smooth 163cc LIKE. Not that the suspension is smooth - but the drive-train is. It is a keeper.
Stig

the late Honda Forza
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:28:20 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Buying too small ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 02:03:07 AM »
Like yourself Tom, I had a long hiatus too of about 38 years from my days of riding a Honda 305 Scrambler in Huntington Beach, CA. back in 69. I thought the Burgman 650 was a small bike compared to Goldwings and big cruisers so I bought the Burgman. My first ride on it was frightening as I rode it home from the dealer back in 2008. However, as we all know these scooters are so easy to ride that I quickly adapted to the 650 pound lardy. From there I made a huge leap and bought a Goldwing and then another as I found them easy to handle too. But here I am after lots more Maxiscooters with my true love, my Honda Silverwing.  So Tom, you will absolutely love the SW once you get it. It's so much more nimble than the Burgman. I've ridden Burgman's and my Silverwing on multi thousand mile trips with Goldwings and both make good touring scooters.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:01:16 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »
The garage has two scoots of highway capable speeds and enjoy both.
But I miss the 125 Cali classic I sold with the house up north. Small wheels, lite weight and fast enough for the purpose.

That said I came close to buying a BMW but won't pay an upcharge for a lowered seat. I'll wait a little to see what Kymco is up to with the K50. If not the Tmax has a shot.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
I have owned all sizes of bikes from 150cc to 1200cc.  Bigger isn't always better and smaller is often more fun.  I think it's better to start too small than too big.  I have seen far too many riders on bikes too big for them. 

The ideal size bike really depends on what you will be doing with it.  For around town you just can't beat a small scooter.  For longer trips or two up bigger works better.  Multiple bikes is the best way to go.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
Nobody will complain having to much power on a car/boat/lawnmower but ive seen ppl complaining on a bike. You need to step up over.time. it aint a good idea to go big from day 1.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »
Multiple bikes is the best way to go.

Works for me. When one of my Burgman 650's needs maintenance I can just ride another one or the MyRoad 700i when I get it back. :D
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:40:09 PM »
Works for me. When one of my Burgman 650's needs maintenance I can just ride another one or the MyRoad 700i when I get it back. :D

That's another reason for multiple bikes.  If you only have one, it breaks and you are waiting on parts or service, how do you go riding???
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 12:09:07 AM »
If you only have one, it breaks and you are waiting on parts or service, how do you go riding???

One the other hand which do you favor when they are all up/running???
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 12:41:34 AM »
I am currently riding a People 150. I have learned a lot about how to ride and work on scooters on this little bike. I am getting ready to step up to a 250 next. I hope I can stop there, but who knows.................
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:15:36 AM »
One the other hand which do you favor when they are all up/running???

Most of the time they are all up and running so it depends on the ride. 

For riding around town my Super 8 150 is my favorite.  I ride it the most often of all my bikes. However, since its mostly short rides it is not the bike I put the most miles on. 

If my wife will be riding along I almost always ride the Majesty.  It's the only bike she is comfortable on for any distance.

If I will be riding in the dirt I normally ride my KLR650.

For sporty riding my Versys 650 is the best.

For long rides either the Versys or Majesty are options.

Note that none of these bikes are considered big bikes and none of them weigh over 500 pounds.  I have owned bigger bikes but have been downsizing.  A Burgman 650 is over 100 pounds heavier than any of my bikes.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:18:14 AM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 04:47:33 AM »
Most of the time they are all up and running so it depends on the ride.

Yah it's kinda like my Jeep and Frontier for off roading. The Jeep is built for serious trails slower speed crawling and the truck more for desert exploring high speed.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:36 PM »
Perhaps some will buy too small a bike and find themselves out growing it in one season. This time of year one can see on CL lots of Kaw/Honda and Suxuki 250 motorcycles and lots of 50cc scooters for sale with low mileage and usually have been dropped and have some road rash. From an economic viewpoint it would appear to be a bad investment to lose so much money, particularly on a new bike but it was the perfect starter bike for a new rider. As most said here, better to start smaller and work your way up. We pay a price for our education. For a new rider, the best advice is to buy something used and inexpensive because there is a likelihood that it will get dropped. Tupperware is expensive to replace so it doesn't become so painful when you drop one that's already been dropped. Lot's of good deals on dropped bikes and scooters for the new rider if you're lurking and reading this.

I bought a 2007 Burgman 650 Executive that had been dropped for a thousand bucks and rode it a couple years. I did some plastic welding on it and fixed the road rash and re-sold for a nice profit. I know, we all want pretty and new but if you're a new rider or on a limited budget, there's lots of good deals on used bikes. I got my 2003 Honda Silverwing ABS for 1900 because of high mileage at 39k. I wasn't worried about a little mileage on the SW as it's easily a 150k bike.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:59:45 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
For a new rider, the best advice is to buy something used and inexpensive because there is a likelihood that it will get dropped. Tupperware is expensive to replace so it doesn't become so painful when you drop one that's already been dropped. Lot's of good deals on dropped bikes and scooters for the new rider if you're lurking and reading this.

That's some of the best advise someone can get. My sister recently expressed interest in motorcycles so I took her out to have a look. She didn't realize that they are mostly manual shifting so I suggested scooters either as a start or permanent depending on how she felt after riding a bit. The other issue she has to deal with are most bikes including quite a few scooters the seats are pretty high for her. Ideally I think the perfect one for her would be the Honda Reflex (likely with ABS) but we may start her on something a bit smaller. I have been looking at used scooters with some body damage just for that reason that while she learns if she drops it then at least she won't have to feel too bad about it and we can move her up to the Reflex later (though I may buy one for her in the meantime should a nice deal present itself).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:34:39 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
Speaking of smaller I just ran across a non running 2010 Sunny 50cc with 600 miles on it for $250 but after some research the owner let the registration lapse two years. I called DMV to find out the cost to bring it current (would be due again in Sept) was $334 or more than the asking price plus having to determine what will it take to get it running (maybe a flush/carb cleaning) and I'm not sure the pricing is so good anymore. I might get the fees reduced but that may or may not happen, hmm what to do.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 05:35:28 PM »
That's some of the best advise someone can get. My sister recently expressed interest in motorcycles so I took her out to have a look. She didn't realize that they are mostly manual shifting so I suggested scooters either as a start or permanent depending on how she felt after riding a bit. The other issue she has to deal with are most bikes including quite a few scooters the seats are pretty high for her. Ideally I think the perfect one for her would be the Honda Reflex (likely with ABS) but we may start her on something a bit smaller. I have been looking at used scooters with some body damage just for that reason that while she learns if she drops it then at least she won't have to feel too bad about it and we can move her up to the Reflex later (though I may buy one for her in the meantime should a nice deal present itself).

Definitely good advice. I've never bought a motorcycle or scooter or mountain bike new.  I've been riding two wheelers since I was 6 years old. Started on mini bikes at age 10. Motocross bikes at 13 and never stopped riding bicycles. I put more miles on my bicycles each year than I do in my car. 

Bicycle riding is an underrated skill for first time motorcycle/scooter riders.  The more time you can spend on 2 wheels, the better.

From my progression above, you can see that I started small. My first motocross bike was a 90cc and the largest I rode was a 360. Lot's of power!

I'd love to buy a 600 scooter or 650 KLR, but my wife can't stand the thought of me being on the freeway on a bike.  I really just want the larger bike so I can tour into the mountains around Denver. Can't do that on a 50cc scoot.   

She and I reached a compromise-- a Miata. At least I can have the top down and feel the wind in my hair. Thinking of getting one of the older/smaller ones to feel more of the driving experience. 
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()