Author Topic: Solution to headlight glare?  (Read 3808 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Solution to headlight glare?
« on: May 08, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »
Anyone come up with a better solution than black electrical tape on the top of the head light lens to block the glare into your eyes when riding at night?
Probably not an issue for short riders - but most tall riders find it to be a problem.

I'm also wondering how much of the light's effectiveness I'm losing with that tape on there.
Soon I will tape off the area and spray it with some chrome paint if I can't come up with something else. I'm tired of looking at that black tape....or even the nearly matching blue painter's tape.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Solution to headlight glare?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »
 I don't ride in the dark much, but I thought of painting the top edge of the lens to match the scoot. It seems that the glare is mostly from the 1/8" lip on the lens. Chrome paint or striping tape seems like it would work. 
 It doesn't seem that Taping it would interfere with the light pattern adversely.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
Being 5'9" I don't have the glare issue. What about spraying tint on the lens where you use tape to stop the effects of the glare? Tint comes in different density.

Groversmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »
Im in the tape camp. It works...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:04:57 AM »
Yeah, but I don't like the tape.
I think I'm going to try Troutbum's idea of spray tint in a nice matching blue......
But what to do with the rest of the spray can?
I never did like the color of those shrubs along the fence.....
Will the paint stick to tires?
Cats?
Squirrels?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
What I have never tested and figured out a 100% so far: What is the material of the headlight "glass"? Real glass or real plastic?
I tend to make this decision depending a bit upon the answer of the above question (paint job or tape).
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 04:16:46 PM »
What I have never tested and figured out a 100% so far: What is the material of the headlight "glass"? Real glass or real plastic?
I tend to make this decision depending a bit upon the answer of the above question (paint job or tape).

Real glass-like plastic.
;-)
My photos of a LIKE200i on a very foggy night show a beam of light going straight up to Pluto from that headlight lens. Straight up.
 I mistook it for another Republican Tractor Beam attack and did a high side off into the shrubbery to escape.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=14598.msg144188#msg144188
Stig
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:23:16 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »
Yeah, but I don't like the tape.
I think I'm going to try Troutbum's idea of spray tint in a nice matching blue......
But what to do with the rest of the spray can?
I never did like the color of those shrubs along the fence.....
Will the paint stick to tires?
Cats?
Squirrels?
Stig

Just for fun spray all your neighbors porch lights with the solution.  ;D

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 03:01:34 PM »
Attention! Warning! I just today figured out, that the Like headlight is REAL PLASTIC , not real glass!!!
This false information above from Stig unfortunately mislead me to use  the rougher side of the sponge today which I reget now.
Because I now have some "nice" and visible scratches in there.....

So I could need some hints for a proper polish treatment of the headlight (if possible) to get rif of the scratches again. Any ideas how this is properly done?
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
Stig said....... "Real glass-like plastic." I understand that to mean it's "glass-like", but still made of plastic.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
I use Novus plastic polish to clean my auto headlights of the ugly yellow build-up that degrades light transmission. They come in varying grades of grit to remove and polish plastics. Here's a link to the website. http://www.novuspolish.com/

Tap Plastics carries the product.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 05:24:19 PM »
Stig said....... "Real glass-like plastic." I understand that to mean it's "glass-like", but still made of plastic.

Is that something like Genuine Naugahyde Leather?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 10:21:06 PM »
Is that something like Genuine Naugahyde Leather?
Yep....made by the same guys in Topeka.
Uses the same naugahyde / plexi rejuvenation spray.
Makes a wonderful tea as well.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 01:44:43 PM »

Well, fine then. As a non idigenous and the american english language being not my mother tongue, I am not familiar with all of your nice little puns.
Therefore the possible misunderstanding.

Anyway, [real "glass-like" plastic] or simply just ["plastic"] would have made it clear right away from the beginning - also for all other people outside of america.
But on a second reading now, I also understand Stig´s comment as the plastic version. Too late for me now, but the polish will hopefully fix it. :-)
Cheers,
Robo

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
Attention! Warning! I just today figured out, that the Like headlight is REAL PLASTIC , not real glass!!!
This false information above from Stig unfortunately mislead me to use  the rougher side of the sponge today which I reget now.
Because I now have some "nice" and visible scratches in there.....

So I could need some hints for a proper polish treatment of the headlight (if possible) to get rif of the scratches again. Any ideas how this is properly done?
Very sorry Robo....not trying to  confuse you.
Also....I have seen the blue or green side of those scrubbing sponges scratch GLASS! so is not advisable to use on glass or plastic. 
McGuires (spelling?) 'Cleaner' car polish I have used successfully to polish scratches from  antique German toys made of plastic.
I do not know of any Asian built scooters using anything but plastic lenses on their lights (turn, brake, stop, head - lights)
Again...my apologies.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()