Author Topic: Clutch/Variator noise  (Read 4391 times)

juancuesta

• View Profile
Clutch/Variator noise
« on: May 09, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »

I have the exact same problem as shown in this video. Looking for an answer...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch/Variator noise
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »
Are you talking about the belt 'bounce' and resulting vibration felt through the scooter?
Have seen the same thing on Burgman 400's - when the CVT/belt is slowing after a speed run....it bounces and flexes and causes vibrations.

If the belt is with-in specs (= correct width size) and not stretched from many miles - there might not be anything you can do about this with these 'rubber-band' powered scooters - except perhaps ease more lightly, more gradually,  off of the throttle when slowing.

Otherwise I would suspect an issue with a belt worn past it's prime ....and fit a new belt.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

juancuesta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:44:59 AM »
I replace the belt about two days ago. So I doubt it's the belt... I guess is normal in this bike, although weird!

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:17:13 PM »
Are you talking about the belt 'bounce' and resulting vibration felt through the scooter?
Have seen the same thing on Burgman 400's - when the CVT/belt is slowing after a speed run....it bounces and flexes and causes vibrations.

If the belt is with-in specs (= correct width size) and not stretched from many miles - there might not be anything you can do about this with these 'rubber-band' powered scooters - except perhaps ease more lightly, more gradually,  off of the throttle when slowing.

Otherwise I would suspect an issue with a belt worn past it's prime ....and fit a new belt.
Stig
Mine does the same thing even with the new belts. I tried both an "aftermarket" Bando brand belt AND a Guinune Kymco belt in a Kymco "wrapper" (which is made by Misuboshi) . Both do it, And it did it from day one. If you are speaking of the clacking type noise at idle, mine does that too. I suspect it's the nature of the beast. But I may be wrong .
2009 Xciting 250

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:38 PM »
Ditto...my scoot also makes this noise.  It is more noticeable after a highway run, but is always present.  I've noticed that it has become more noticeable over the years and suspect this is due to roller and belt wear.  Just had it in for the valve adjustment and the mechanic stated belt and rollers were good for at least another couple thousand miles.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

juancuesta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »
I might have found a solution. Today I replaced the three little plastic pieces that holds the rollers cover , within the variator. On top of that I tight up the variator screw very well.( I think last time it wasnt tight enough). Now the noise seems to be much lighter, althought not completly gone

http://www.martimoto.net/_kw_image/martimoto.net/catalog/catalog_product/037802.jpg

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »
I might have found a solution. Today I replaced the three little plastic pieces that holds the rollers cover , within the variator. On top of that I tight up the variator screw very well.( I think last time it wasnt tight enough). Now the noise seems to be much lighter, althought not completly gone

http://www.martimoto.net/_kw_image/martimoto.net/catalog/catalog_product/037802.jpg
Great! Good thing you noticed the loose nut. That could have caused big trouble. I think the nature of the engine/variator setup prevents the complete elimination of all noise.
2009 Xciting 250

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »
Is the bendix secure ?
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

juancuesta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 07:15:00 AM »
Bendix? What is that?!

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 06:08:24 PM »
Next time you are in there you may wish to check for free-play on the splines of your variator drive face. If the nut was loose enough, could have allowed enough "slop" in it to wear the splines. Glad you got it figured out. My People 150 has a knock at low idle. I just try not to idle much  ;D
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()