Author Topic: Scoot slowing down with little brake needed  (Read 1309 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Scoot slowing down with little brake needed
« on: May 09, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »
Hey guys, still new to this whole scoot thing...had my People S200 for about 7 months (2010 with a little over 2K miles) ...and I notice that I need to apply very little brake to get it to slow down. It's similar in feel to driving a car with manual transmission around town in 2nd gear..the minute you let off the gas the engine braking slows you way down.

I do have a little drag on my front brake but not enough to slow my bike down the way it does. In slow, neighborhood driving (25 mph and under) I could get away with applying my rear brake about 10 feet from the stop sign (and just barely, at that).

Is this a normal feel for a scoot or could I have more driveline drag than usual? (I haven't opened my CVT cover to look inside)

thanks
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Scoot slowing down with little brake needed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
To check for unusual rolling drag....roll it about with the engine off.
How is it?
If it rolls pretty easily then you do not have a brake dragging.....
Some CVT slowing as the scoot stops does not sound at all unusual.
Some scooter riders like to see if they can get through town without ever touching the brakes!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »

Some scooter riders like to see if they can get through town without ever touching the brakes!
Stig
That's what I do. I let engine braking do as much braking for me as possible. I figure my brakes are going to last longer and I'll eek out a little more MPG.
Wayne

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:09:17 PM »
It sounds like you are experiencing engine compression. It varies from scooter to scooter and brand to brand. It also allows you to practice throttle finesse, the ability to navigate without using your brake based on knowing how your bike will slow down due to the compression.

Stig, I’m with you. Riding without the foot down is part of the fun. The real challenge is seeing how slow you can go before the foot drops, especially  when in traffic.

- Wolf

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 11:24:22 PM »
all right, guys, sounds like it's just normal scooterin'...I guess the only issue with it is that I have to consciously tap the brake to let the cars behind me know I'm slowing down..if there's no traffic I can almost get away with no braking.

thanks, again, for the info
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »
...I guess the only issue with it is that I have to consciously tap the brake to let the cars behind me know I'm slowing down..
Exactly what I do.
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()