Author Topic: Show us your Package?  (Read 1857 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Show us your Package?
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »
All right. Got your attention. With the warmer weather having arrived I’ve finally gotten around to making a photo-inventory of all the things I carry on my scooter. Since my last accident (nearly a year ago this month) I realized I’d never inventoried what I carried on my bike for insurance purposes. Lucky, I didn’t lose anything (including the 20 piece McNuggets I had gone to pick up for dinner) under the seat when I had my crash.

Next time -- and I intend not to have that happen -- I may not be so lucky.

Anyway, it got me thinking what does everyone else carry with them on their daily commutes, day trips, weekend excursions, or longer? What are the essentials you never leave home without? What’s in you package as we used to say in film school, meaning, what are the items of your trade?

Here’s mine ...

Pic 1 - Bike at home
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:44:52 PM by ScooterWolf »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Show us your Package?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 06:43:50 PM »
Pic 2 - What's under the seat.

My gear consist of a small tool bag/kit, heavy On-Guard chain and lock, a leather draw-string bag holding bungie cords, and a hot/cold sandwich bag. I’ve left plenty of room of room of other items or my helmet.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:45:55 PM by ScooterWolf »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »
Pic 3 - What's under the top case

I try to leave the top case as empty as possible. Essentially I keep a sealed document bag holding my manual, and maps, also sealed in a ziplock bag to keep it dry. Still enough room for my helmet, book bag, or grocery items.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
Pic 4 - The gear.

Better view of what’s under the seat. Note the really small metal clip. Really good for holding parking receipts, or notes if needed.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »
Pic 5 - What’s in the tool bag (main compartment)

Work towel, bandana, adjustable pliers, air pressure gauge, various tools (some from my old Yager) specific to my Downtown, a head lamp, batteries in a ziplock bag, and a Swiss (like) army knife. Also note a long, singe twist-tie. Just felt like I may need it for some reason.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:04:22 PM »
Pic 6- Tool bag top lid compartment

Extra reflector tape, a working compass, extra screws, washers and nuts kept in small plastic bags, and felt disc pads for placing under my top case (helps ease the rattling sounds). Sorry for the soft focus on some of the images. My crappy camera does’t show the focused image on the screen in the back. Worse, the viewfinder can’t adjust itself to my eyesight (which is getting worse if I don’t have my glasses).

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »
Pic 7 - Tool bag front pocket compartment

Side stand support plate, thermal cup holder, insurance tag, extra metal clip, pens and pencil, u-post-it pad, and 12 quarters.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
Pic 7

Bungie cords, and an extra chain. Discovered that one of my bungie cords was pretty much worn through. I’ve replaced it since with three new ones. Also noted that I used to keep a bottle of Ibuprofen in my bag. I added that as well.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 07:16:32 PM »
Pic 7 Clean slate.

A lot of space under the seat. This was the view when I first got my DT. Knew it wouldn’t last. A neighbor came by when I was taking the photos today and asked what I was doing. He was pretty amazed at the cargo space as well. Cargo capacity is one of the things that drew me to scooters over MCs.

Have space. Will travel.

- Wolf

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
Nice looking scoot and nice to see some items people carry. A plug kit and small compressor/CO2 inflator some other scooter riders carry. I myself haven't put together anything as of yet.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
I have four bikes and different stuff on all of them.  I carry a tire plug kit on my bikes with tubeless tire as well as some way to inflate the tire.  On my KLR which has tube tires I have a spare tube and the tools needed to change it.

I have a flashlight on every bike as well as a small first aid kit.  Then I have basic tools so I can fix easy stuff that may go wrong.  If something major breaks I'll plan on being towed.  If it's in town I'll call my wife to bring the truck.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 07:47:58 PM »
Thanks guys, and good points. A tire repair kit is something I need to add. I think I’ve been reluctant because I’m not sure how much space it’ll take up.
Something for me to look into.

- Wolf

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 08:33:40 PM »
Thanks guys, and good points. A tire repair kit is something I need to add. I think I’ve been reluctant because I’m not sure how much space it’ll take up.
Something for me to look into.

- Wolf

A tubeless tire repair kit takes up very little space, is inexpensive and the item you are most likely need.  The sticky string kits found at auto parts stores or Wally World are more effective than the fancy motorcycle kits.  I have lost track of how many tires I have repaired with these kits.  I have never had one leak.  I while back I had a nail in the rear tire of my Kymco so I decided to use the Dynaplug kit I picked up at Cycle Gear.  It was real easy to use but ended up leaking.  I had to put some slime into the tire to stop the leak.  i should have used a sticky string.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, Klaviator! Sounds like I maybe able to fit it in the tool bag. I’m off to Wally World.

- Wolf

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:48:04 AM by ScooterWolf »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 12:12:20 AM »
My day to day emergency gear.

A long cruise and I'll add a little extra cash 😉

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org