Author Topic: Kymco People 50 build  (Read 12505 times)

art

• View Profile
Kymco People 50 build
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
Has anyone else done this build.airsol 70cc kit arreche 19mm carb #95 main/#20 pilot/needle top clip leanest position next rs uni pod.I cant seem to dial in the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle position from take off.Idle good 5 to 20 mph sputter miss sputter rocket when the main hits.All instinct says lean condition,plug chop shows a little wet not bad the rest is about spot on and ofcourse I didn't order the #15 pilot going richer seems to get worse ???Wondering if anyone else is haveing this same problem or is it just the way this setup runs.Any thoughts. Top speed unknown 30mph to 1 inch past 50 instant ;D little slow off the line havn't done the veriater yet all else is good except the sputter :'(       Thanks art
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco People 50 build
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:27:48 AM »
little slow off the line havn't done the veriater yet

..there you go!!...

..and welcome to th' forum!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:28:50 AM »
I have a very similar set-up on my ZX50.  I ended up having to run a 25 pilot and a 115 main jet.  Can't remember off hand which position my needle is in, I think in the top clip.  Mine does sputter a little when it's cold for the first 1/4 throttle, It's all good when it's warm though.  It seems really difficult to get the Arreche to have a nice smooth transition all the way through.  I think ultimately I need a different needle, just haven't seen any available anywhere.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:45:08 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and reply.Povo does have a nerrower needle didn't seem to help tried the #25 and #30 pilot seemed worse.I'll try the #25 again and a couple needle settings.Crazy seems to rich only pilot I haven't tried is the #15.sounds like the arreche has a little bit of rep for this all else is pretty sweet.Tried this same set up with the next r sputter to 1/2 throttle,It's so close can't wait for the veriater!If anyone is interested I'm doing a build with another kymco people 50 With stock jug and some machining We set the squish = 5mph stock intake breathes like a dragon now to get the exhaust matched.Pipe and pod.Should be alot cheaper than the bolt on's and more durable I hope. ;D

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 04:57:13 AM »
I'm running the Next R pipe. I do have a larger intake manifold as well as 4 petal V shaped reed block and a K&N cone filter.  Like I said, it does sputter when it's cold up to about 1/4-1/2 throttle sometimes.  I have it set that way somewhat intentionally though just to help with cooling on decell.  I haven't seen the different needles from Povo, I'll have to check that out!

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
I was considering the reeds as well not sure if they will help down low.If you hit the lotto check out the next rs S.I.P. had a reasonable price on it don't know about shipping.Night and day difference on the people 50.makes sennse on the decell my machinest highly sugested running a little rich for the same reason,but I'm only getting the symptom on accel,It's tolerable just hard to not be on the pipe when trying not to be noticed ;D  Thank again.

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »
since you are familiar with the People 50 (by the way what year is yours?).  Have you done the CDI mod or did you swap it out? What gain did you notice??
I have a people 50 and it is derestricted via boss and exhaust, but I haven't had time to check to see if the CDI had been messed with yet. From what the speedometer on the scoot says I go about 45 on flat and hit 50 down hill. It seems to cut itself out going downhill and WOT.  I was going to start with the CVT first and then move on to what you have already done with the kit and carb. I'm finding out the hard way that the stock carb is a pain in the a$$. Keep us posted, sounds very interesting.

Oh, yeah, WELCOME  ;D

art

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:48:32 PM »
If you can reach 45mph you should be derestricted.It cuts the spark at 40mph as far as gain about 5mph with jet change unlimited downhill.I have 2002 two 2005s and a 2009.Before 2005 the pipes are less restricted the 2005s are a bit constipated and the 2009 sucks all motors are identical pipes and jetting are the only differences.the 2005s and older just have a green wire coming out the bottem of the cdi and a convenient plug,unplug done,they got wize sometime later had to replace the 2009 with a cobra.If you run an#85 main and drill a hole 3/8 at front of air box in front of filter you should reach 50+ depending on your weight got my brotherinlaw to 50 at 245lbs.The arreche carb is not a straight bolt on had to modify throttle cable couldn't get the stock carb cap and cable seperated without destroying it :'(.The stock carb attomizer can be tapped to except the standerd keihn main jets works great better selection,don't know how far we can go yet.Still waiting for my machinest to get my exgaust ports diled in,going for a as close to stock build (stock parts that is)including carb,with the exception of pipe and pod.First results were good instant 5mph on top of stock with pod 2005 stock pipe and #105 tapped kehin can't wait for the rest.The next r did not work great with this set up the rs on the otherhand was great.Good luck

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »
That last post was a huge help. I'm going to take off the front plastic and look at the CDI. I was hoping it was going to be a simple unplug and not a risky cdi cut. I will have to try the hole in the air box trick.
Thanks again Art!

art

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 09:44:34 PM »
No problem bniasen good luck.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »
Hey shaka You nailed it #25 pilot,was getting a lean pilot condition and a rich needle It was blubbering right between the two.I highly suggest the narrower needle at top leanest set.gained better take off low and mid responce clean all the way through,might be going up one more on that main next  ;DThanks Art .Just relized I can't spell worth a dam That is http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters.html.Hope it's ok to post the link.Been a good sorce for me not always the cheapest but good service.S.I.P. has been great to,but being located in germany,I just found out you have to order over $100 to make the shipping worth it to them.Prices are great,building a 1963 vespa with there parts so far so good,just don't forget any small things when ordering.Good luck all!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:28:56 PM by art »

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »
I checked out the CDI on my scoot and just as I suspected.  NOW my scoot is fully derestricted.  Just as easy as you said Art, just unplugged the connected green wire.  I also drilled into the airbox, just 3/8" hole about half an inch away from the airbox inlet. Weather got crappy so I could test it.  Rode it after the CDI change and noticed I could climb over 45 on the flats. Downhill was a tad scary  :o . I'll have fun with now!
Next up, CVT!!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 02:24:14 AM »
...that's just frikin' awesome...

so many success stories lately.....

art

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 02:46:47 AM »
Ha!If the seat was a little softer and the suspention little more plush(old decrepid guy ;)I'd trust to 100+mph,I just might reach it some day.These are great bikes,I'm an old dirt bike guy (Love honda's)Do to injery I thought I'd never ride again.(non bike related)I bought a vino 125 4t felt like a tank didnT perform as well as I thought,small tires killed my back and kinda slow.knowing 2t a bit better I picked up my first kymco people 50 and Loved it,the 16 inch tires sealed the deal for me.I knew with a little moding It would kick some a$$,honda used to use them to manufacture there motors and I knew with there histery It would be a great start.Unfortunatly no one else is doing alot with them,so it's been trial and error to get things right.Thats why I joined the forem to pass on what I''ve learned and get some advice.Once I opened up the motor I realized the potentual way over built then chocked down to meet epa and moped standerds.Stay tuned for my sorta stock build,still in the works.Some nice michelen tires with some grip would put this over the top ;D Good luck All!  

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 02:52:14 AM »
...it's kinda amazing what ppl can get outta 49.5 cc scooter sometimes...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()