Author Topic: Crazy thought  (Read 2440 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Crazy thought
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »
I noticed

1. that the Downtown belt is much more robust than the Xciting 250 ri.
2. I've also noticed that the crusing speed is much higher.

3. The belt is only slightly wider on the Downtown.

4. While the Xciting 250 is less powerful, it does have the POTENTIAL to cruise at 70 at less than 7500 rpm. (It did so when I had the ill fated Bando belt on it.)

Crazy thoughts. 1. I wonder if the distance between the variator and the rear pulley is the same.
2. If so, are the splines and shaft size on both scooters the same.
3. If so, could a person play with the belt/pulley/roller/contra spring combination and come up with a way to make the more robust belt of the Downtown 300 fit on the Xciting 250 ri.

I wish there was some way to VERY CHEAPLY obtain the parts from a Downtown just to experiment. Like I said, it IS a crazy thought. But.....[emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Crazy thought
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
I think if you tried it you may be opening up a big old can of unintended consequences. Not trying to discourage you though.It could be a learning experience, if you have the money. I can empathize with ya Forbes. My People 150 was my first scooter. I have tried I don't know how many things to make it run better or go faster. None of them worked better than stock. My next scooter will be bought with a much better educated buyer.  Best of luck to ya man.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 02:21:38 AM »
I think if you tried it you may be opening up a big old can of unintended consequences. Not trying to discourage you though.It could be a learning experience, if you have the money. I can empathize with ya Forbes. My People 150 was my first scooter. I have tried I don't know how many things to make it run better or go faster. None of them worked better than stock. My next scooter will be bought with a much better educated buyer.  Best of luck to ya man.
I actually wish that someone ELSE would try it, then let me know if it's feasible or not. Then I can choose whether to pursue it or not. I'll let THEM spend the money and make the mistakes.
Yeah, that's selfish. Ha, ha.
2009 Xciting 250

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:07:17 AM »
I wish there was some way to VERY CHEAPLY obtain the parts from a Downtown just to experiment. Like I said, it IS a crazy thought. But.....[emoji849]
Check Copart.com and see if there is a totaled one in your area you can bid on.
Wayne

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »
It belt may fit but at the end of the day these facts won't change.

Xciting 250 - 20.6 hp and 407lbs
Downtown 300 - 29.5 and 367lbs.

the weight to horsepower ratio on these is telling. The DT may only be about 50cc larger in displacement but it's almost 30% more powerful with less mass. Those are numbers hard to "trans tune" away.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »

the weight to horsepower ratio on these is telling. The DT may only be about 50cc larger in displacement but it's almost 30% more powerful with less mass. Those are numbers hard to "trans tune" away.

AMAC
Geez....where'd that extra 40lbs come from? Older design?
 Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »

AMAC
True. But my PRIMARY goal would be to prolong belt life. The belt inspection interval is MUCH longer on the Downtown. So on a lower powered 250, it would be a VAST improvement. Any performance improvement would be gravy. However, I have noticed that the Xciting 250 ri's speed is limited by the rev limiter rather than wind resistance. That leads me to believe that at cruising speeds engine Rpm can be reduced slightly. I haven't encountered any hill within 60 miles of Tallahassee where I can't maintain at least 65mph. Underpowered as it is, I think it was "geared" for acceptable performance for 2 up riding which I NEVER do.

But again, with the primarily 60-65 mph riding that I do, and the 3-4 hundred miles per week that I put on it, belt life under those conditions is my PRIMARY goal even if there is no improvement in performance.

If I had ANY idea that I would enjoy riding so much, I would have gotten something more suitable. My initial intentions were to ride around town on weekends and POSSIBLY to work every once in a while. I LOVE the Xciting's size and fit. A 500 would be more suitable (except for the reduced fuel economy) . But due to limited funds, I'm stuck with the Xciting 250 for a while.

WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME RIDING A SCOOTER WOULD BE SO MUCH FUN?[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:47 PM »
Geez....where'd that extra 40lbs come from? Older design?
 Stig
Likely a combination of factors. Older design, AND a longer scooter. The Xciting has USABLE footrests in front. But the front footrests on the Downtown are a joke. Just for decoration in my opinion or use by a five feet or shorter person.
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »
Have you tried to run an original OEM Kymco belt? The OEM belt lasted 8000 miles and may have shredded early because of dry rotting or age. Thats your best bet IMHO. If it were me, I would also carry a spare as a security blanket. Best of luck
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 09:13:17 PM »
Have you tried to run an original OEM Kymco belt? The OEM belt lasted 8000 miles and may have shredded early because of dry rotting or age. Thats your best bet IMHO. If it were me, I would also carry a spare as a security blanket. Best of luck

I installed an OE  Kymco belt this time . Hopefully that takes care of it. I have a backup on order. But I guess I'm just nervous. It was unsettling that both the original and the obviously substandard replacement failed completely without warning. Perhaps it was simply time on the original and being substandard on the replacement.

At any rate, the "crazy question" is just the Mechanic in me talking because sometimes on cars a more robust part that's not supposed to fit can be easily installed to replace a weak design. I just wish there were some way to know for certain if it would or would not fit. If it could be done RELIABLY and fairly inexpensively, it would be nice to have an "overbuilt" belt. And it would be a nice upgrade to share with everyone. Anyway, it's a nice thought.
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 10:57:11 PM »
I have learned the hard way cars and scooters are very different mechanically. The engineering on a scooter is within such a fine parameter that when you change one thing, even minutely, it greatly effects everything else. I believe you have already fixed your belt problem. All you need is time and miles to get the old confidence back.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 05:08:02 AM »
I have learned the hard way cars and scooters are very different mechanically. The engineering on a scooter is within such a fine parameter that when you change one thing, even minutely, it greatly effects everything else. I believe you have already fixed your belt problem. All you need is time and miles to get the old confidence back.
Another confidence breaker. Went for a 40 mile ride to handle some important business. On my way back, battery light came and battery went dead 20 miles from home. May be the stator. Oh well...
2009 Xciting 250

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 05:20:47 AM »
Sympathies

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »