Author Topic: title  (Read 1580 times)

blue

• View Profile
title
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »
I have a 50 cc moped Im saleing for my wifes brother.He Is to old to ride it. And had it for 2 years and never got the title in his name put the last owner did sign it over to him . Is that ok or am I going to have a hard time ...

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: title
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:21 AM »
I think that would only be an issue if it had to be registered or some one out of the blue appeared and claimed it was their stolen property. Who ever has title, owns that scooter maybe.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
I think that would only be an issue if it had to be registered or some one out of the blue appeared and claimed it was their stolen property. Who ever has title, owns that scooter maybe.
Yes...name on title owns the vehicle.
I sold an Audi 4000S one time. ....GREAT car!!....to a lady on  a Sunday for cash.
Her sister a notary she said....do it later.
She never got it taken care of.
6 mos later repair shop called....if I didn't pay $250 they were going go impound it and sell it.
Guy said...."whatever. ..just pay us the $250 and you can have your Audi back!!" She had knocked oil pan off on parking block.
I told him that wasn't right....just go ahead and impound and sell it.
Learned a good lesson. Get deal notorized properly!!
Stig
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:50:51 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »

Don't like ( MAYBE )

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Yes...name on title owns the vehicle. I sure hope so I don't need any issues.............I do know here the DNV has changed the way of buying and saleing mopeds because to many are being stolen and sold . they wont do lost title any more..........so now to many are being sold with out title or as parts bike.They now have a paper you sign saying that you are saleing for parts.........

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
It's called "title skipping" and is illegal in most states. If your brother-in-law signed the title as the buyer, you will have problems selling it unless he gets the title put in his name. If he never signed it as the buyer and the title is "open", you should be alright.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »
It's called "title skipping" and is illegal in most states. If your brother-in-law signed the title as the buyer, you will have problems selling it unless he gets the title put in his name. If he never signed it as the buyer and the title is "open", you should be alright.

Thanks that take a little of my worrys away..........The think I worry the most about. the last owner signed it 2 years ago. And was never put in his name....Wil they question that......

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
I'm presently dealing with same thing with my Kymco that is for sale. Bought from original owner back in March and purchased to flip it. Bike was last registered 2 years ago. Never put the title in my name and ran into a problem recently. I had a buyer for the bike but they backed out because bike was never registered in my name and they were worried about problems with title transfer and any penalties levied. Went to my Texas tag office and they ran the VIN on my scooter. They said if the title was not dated but signed there would be no penalties and would cost 158.00 to register and get tags. If it had been previously dated they levy penalties with a cap of 350.00. Fortunately the seller of my scooter did not date the title and will register in my name as soon as I get it inspected. BTW, did not know title skipping is illegal and will not go that route again. Generally though I usually purchase to own and get it transferred into my name.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:31:31 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
They said if the title was not dated but signed there would be no penalties and would cost 158.00 to register and get tags. If it had been previously dated they levy penalties with a cap of 350.00. Fortunately the seller of my scooter did not date the title and will register in my name as soon as I get it inspected.

And what if the seller turned in a dated release of liability? When you sell something you should fill out and turn the release of liability form to protect yourself against things the purchaser might do with it. I'm sure no one likes paying tickets or property damage for someone else.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:28:44 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 11:52:46 PM »
And what if the seller turned in a dated release of liability? When you sell something you should fill out and turn the release of liability form to protect yourself against things the purchaser might do with it. I'm sure no one likes paying tickets or property damage for someone else.

Good point. One of my bikes I sold the buyer did not re-register in his name and I was getting bills for his use of toll roads in Dallas. I ended up paying it as it was too much hassle to fight it.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
Got things taken care of. No problem..........

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()