Author Topic: Scooter VS Motorcycle prices  (Read 3171 times)

bbwlover

• View Profile
Scooter VS Motorcycle prices
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
I've been looking bikes to replace my frost, and I noticed that motorcycles, per cc, tend to be more affordable than scooters. Is true? If so, why is that?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:26:35 AM by bbwlover »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Scooter VS Motorcycle prices
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
Yes it's true.
In the US it's volume. Almost nobody buys scooters here.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:26:32 AM »
Very true.
Scooters might be getting some people into two wheel riding.....then they notice how much more bike they can get for the same $$ !
Recently in dealer looking at the Burgman 650... $11, 000 + fees.....salesman said it was a nice ride. I replied that he had a whole bunch of very nice motorcycles for that money or less, on his sales floor.
Yep...try to find a new 300cc scooter that is stickered at $3999.00 like the Honda CB300F. HONDAs aren't exactly Chinese knock-offs.
It seems to me that once you look past about 150cc's ....for your riding $$.....buying a scooter makes little fiscal sense.
Salesman said the scooter's CVT adds at least $1, 000 to build price.
When people who are ready to "move up" ask me to recommend something ...
I encourage them to shop the whole dealer floor. ...not just the scooter section.
Hmmmph...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »
Maybe no fiscal sense, but there are other reasons that favor the scooter. I'm a 72 year old guy. I had a 648lb Harley for 13 years. You had to climb over it to get on, and it had a clutch. I now have a '12 GTI300 Kymco which I purchased for under $5000. For me the lighter weight (350lb), CVT (no clutch), performance (80+ mph), mileage (68mpg), and ease of getting on were a no brainer. Motorcycles may be the way to go for some folks, but not all. For me, at my age, the extra money was well worth it.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:05:31 PM »
I noticed that motorcycles, per cc, tend to be more affordable than scooters. Is true? If so, why is that?

A motorcycle is an inferior machine to a scooter.
It generally has less bodywork, zero onboard storage and requires far more maintenance.
(think drive chain and general cleaning)
Even though a similar cc bike may be cheaper, I firmly believe you get more for your money and a more practical means of transport in a scooter.

Taking an example, Kawasaki Z300 vs J300
UK cost £4349 for the bike £4399 for the scooter.
The extra £50 for the scooter gets you full bodywork, twin headlamps, a big underseat luggage box, maintenance free final drive, better fuel consumption, easier to use transmission, lower maintenance costs, comfier seat, the list goes on and on....
That's a hell of a lot for the extra £50 imo.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 01:40:03 PM »
The big things for me was I liked the styling, automatic, wind screen and storage. Most motorcycles you have to add the storage and wind screen. I also like having something different and don't care about fitting in with a regular motorcycle, I buy what I like.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:42:00 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »
Notice how when people compare bikes they always look at similar CCs.  Why is that?  Is a Burgman 650 really comparable to lets say a DR650 or a CBR600?  They are all totally different machines. 

I think you have to look at the total machine and what you get before trying to compare prices.  What's important to you?  If your number one priority is speed or performance then Motorcycles win hands down.  For practicality scooters look far better.  For fun.......it depends.  I have 2 motorcycles and 2 scooters.  Which is the most fun?  It depends on what type of riding I will be doing.  Around town my Super 8 is the most fun.  Off road?  My KLR650.  Sport riding?  My Versys.  Touring with my wife?  I'll take the Majesty. 

I think what drives up the price of scooters is all the bodywork.  So if you compare really similar machines, scooter don't do so bad on price.  I think the motorcycle most comparable to a large maxi scooter like a Burgman 650 would be a Gold Wing.  Price on of those lately?  Last time I saw one in a showroom it had a $28,000 price tag on it.

Last but not least, if you look around there are some real bargains out there.  I bought my 2012 Majesty new last year for under $5,100 OTD. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
That's a good price for that Majesty - my son bought a left-over CB500X for considerably less last year.
Added a Yoshimura pipe, sliders, center stand and a Givi screen to bring it up near the price for your scooter.
He loves the seat and the touring comfort of the upright riding position.
OK, the oil change takes about 30 mins longer than the Forza (they both use the same spin-on filters) and it does take a few seconds to squirt the chain every few days.

Big wheel scooters have lousy underseat storage.
He loves the control of his bike provided by the 6 speed gears and the smooth clutch.
Some of us scooter riders miss that interaction with the ride.
Actually, I find puttering along in the city on his bike is as easy as on my LIKE200i, and easier than on the Burgman 400.

But, selling bikes to someone who buys scooters is about as easy as vice versa!
Like trying to sell a Miata cabrio with no back seat to a crowd of Camry owners. :)

Two wheels are fun.....no matter how you lean.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »
I think the motorcycle most comparable to a large maxi scooter like a Burgman 650 would be a Gold Wing.

Every time I see this comparison I cringe because the Burgman 650 is more sport touring bike than luxo cruiser. Even those sport touring bikes range from 15K-35K (Concours to K1600GT) so it's actually a bargain.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:23:26 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »

Two wheels are fun.....no matter how you lean.
Stig

Absolutely true.  I think too many people make a big deal of scooter vs motorcycle.  They are more alike than they are different.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »
In our area (Dallas) there's more available in the medium to small scooter than motorcycles. Hard to find a decent motorcycle for 1500 bucks but lots of scooter inventory in that price range with low mileage and in good condition. The used bike market is fantastic for scooters. Many of the 250/300cc Honda's and Kawasaki's are also entry level bikes that have been dropped and abused. The smaller bike market is clearly dominated by scooters.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »
When I was at the Motorcycle dealer, I walked around and observed all the scooters and motorcycles. Yes, when i compared scooters to cycles by cc's. The scooters tended to be more expensive. But when I looked at the motorcycles that were equipped to do what scooters do (storage space, wind protection, relaxed seating position, etc., the price advantage of the motorcycle seemed to disappear or even favor the scooters. In fact, even the young guys were impressed with the Majesty. I don't think they sell many of the larger scooters. So the guys had never even thought about how nice they were.
2009 Xciting 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »
Maybe no fiscal sense, but there are other reasons that favor the scooter. I'm a 72 year old guy. I had a 648lb Harley for 13 years. You had to climb over it to get on, and it had a clutch. I now have a '12 GTI300 Kymco which I purchased for under $5000. For me the lighter weight (350lb), CVT (no clutch), performance (80+ mph), mileage (68mpg), and ease of getting on were a no brainer. Motorcycles may be the way to go for some folks, but not all. For me, at my age, the extra money was well worth it.
Even though I'm only 55, I agree with mrmike - for me, motorcycles can't hold a candle to scooter. As I get older, I don't have to worry that my scoot won't work for me. Win-win!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 08:24:20 PM »
.  I think the motorcycle most comparable to a large maxi scooter like a Burgman 650 would be a Gold Wing

um NO, you can't compare a 650cc twin scooter to a 1800cc flat 6  Goldwing, no matter how hard you try, especially when Honda makes the 670cc twin NM4 , guess what, they are both $10,999  and the NM4 is automatic as well

or comparing it to the Vstrom 650 Adventure, it comes with luggage, and is $950 cheaper than the Burgman

RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 08:43:51 PM »
um NO, you can't compare a 650cc twin scooter to a 1800cc flat 6  Goldwing, no matter how hard you try, especially when Honda makes the 670cc twin NM4 , guess what, they are both $10,999  and the NM4 is automatic as well

or comparing it to the Vstrom 650 Adventure, it comes with luggage, and is $950 cheaper than the Burgman

Sure I can.  I do it all the time.  I look at them both as potential 2 up touring machines.  The GW is bigger and faster but the Burgman is lighter, easier to handle and far less expensive. 

The Burgman vs Vstrom 650 adventure makes for an interesting comparison as well.  They both have their advantages.  For some people that extra $950 for the Burgman is worth it.  For others it isn't. 

I often refer to my Majesty as a mini Gold Wing.  I bought it for 2 up touring.  In some ways it's superior to the wing despite giving up 5 cylinders and 1400cc.  Nothing against the wing, a lot of people love them, but I just can't see owning a 900 pound motorcycle. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()